Worthwhile Upgrade?
Aug 15, 2015 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

El Zilcho

100+ Head-Fier
I have a heck of a time making decisions.  I have been planning on buying a set of good (that's a very loose term, I know) headphones for a while now, and I think I even know which pair I want.  The problem is, I have been thinking about it for weeks and can't make up my mind to pull the trigger (so to speak).  I'm considering getting Oppo PM-3 headphones.  I've read a ton of reviews, and I feel they will fit what I'm looking for.  There's nowhere around here to try out any headphones beyond Best Buy, and they don't have much to demo beyond Beats.

The thing is, I currently have Bose QC25 headphones.  I won't be getting rid of them, because there are times when I want the noise cancelling.  However, at home I don't need noise cancelling (though I do want closed back for various reasons).  I think the Bose headphones sound fine, but I'm not overly blown away vs. cheaper headphones I've used either.  I also often see the sound of the Bose described as really great "for a noise cancelling headphone."  I've also read claims along the lines of, "if you don't need NC, there are better sounding pairs for the price."

So, is it worth it?  I understand diminishing returns, and I can't justify more than $400 headphones at this point, but I'd like to get something very good.  I do have (just purchased) a FiiO X5 2nd Gen that I will be using primarily.  I may eventually get a HP amp (portable or not, don't know yet), but not for a while if I do.  I will also use them connected to my Denon receiver when watching TV/Movies at night.

I realize no-one can tell if they will be worth it for me, or could possibly know my hearing.  I don't need, nor would I expect a night and day different from my Bose.  But a noticeable different would be nice.

So, is it silly to expect a difference, or would I be stepping up to a better quality of sound?

Aug 15, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #2 of 8
I'd check the return policy of the PM-3 before you order them. Should be a different sound from the QC25, though that's one of the better Bose models.

Aug 16, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 8
Here it is: https://www.oppodigital.com/Support_Store.aspx​

Thanks, I was pretty sure I'd seen it somewhere.

By the way, just a personal thing, but I wouldn't buy something like that if I thought there was a very good chance I would be sending it back.  I hate sending things back, I hardly ever do.  However, 100% satisfaction guarantee does give at least a little bit of comfort when making a high dollar purchase.  While $400 may not be a massive purchase relatively speaking in the hi-fi world, $400 is still a lot of money.  As much as I hate spending a lot of money on something good that I end up never using or disliking for one reason or another, it's way worse spending any amount of money on something that ends up junk and tossed out.  So it's nice to have the option to get a refund, worst case scenario.

Aug 16, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #6 of 8
By the way, just a personal thing, but I wouldn't buy something like that if I thought there was a very good chance I would be sending it back.  I hate sending things back, I hardly ever do. 

Well, I don''t think that works for headphone purchasing online. Headphones are like buying clothes off the Internet. You can't really tell if they are a good "fit" for you (sonically or comfort wise) unless you try them.

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #7 of 8
Well, I don''t think that works for headphone purchasing online. Headphones are like buying clothes off the Internet. You can't really tell if they are a good "fit" for you (sonically or comfort wise) unless you try them.

Yep, which is why I noted the satisfaction guarantee/return policy  :wink:

Still, my loathing for returning stuff is a big reason I haven't ordered any headphones yet. 

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #8 of 8
Yep, which is why I noted the satisfaction guarantee/return policy  :wink:

Still, my loathing for returning stuff is a big reason I haven't ordered any headphones yet. 

Look at this way. If you get them, don't like them, and return them, you'll be doing someone else a favor because Oppo will resell them discounted as refurbished. Nice deal for someone else :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back