Worth waiting for the SR80i ??
Feb 23, 2009 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

kmhaynes

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been looking at buying the SR60 or SR80, and leaning toward the SR80. Now that the updates to all Grado's have been announced, and based on the description of the upgrade to the SR80i, do you think I should wait for the SR80i? OR, should I go ahead and get the plain 'ole SR80, maybe taking advantage of some sales for the older models??

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 43
Get the SR80. (Without the "i"), these new 'phones won't be a huge amount better i think, not enough to justify the money you could be saving right now in the sales!

SR80's are so amazing, my iPod has never sounded so good. EVER!

xx

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 43
I can't find it, but has Grado announced when these new models will hit the stores? Or be available to previewers?

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 43
I just got my pair of "SR60"s on Friday, when I ordered them it said I was ordering SR60, the box says SR60, and so does the side of the headphone. However: it is the new type of SR60. The old ones didn't pop out nearly as much.

Checking the Grado website (SR60) you will see they updated the image to the new SR60s and put some text outlining the SR60i right beside the picture. On the headphones in the picture you can read SR60, not SR60i, though they're clearly the new model.

Basically what I'm saying is I don't think it will matter. If the SR80s are anything like the SR60s right now you'll probably get the new models anyways unless the site you're ordering from has fairly old stock still around (which is possible).

EDIT: So you can compare the two pictures:
New: http://www.gradolabs.com/09_images/sr60i.png
Old: http://www.metaelite.com/grado_sr60.jpg

You will see the new one sticks out quite a bit behind the driver.

EDIT2: Actually since the file name/extension official grado picture file name includes /09_images/sr60i.png I'm very sure that the picture they have there is indeed of the SR60i's, even if they say SR60 on the headphones. This leads me to believe that they have actually beeon on the market a few weeks; at the very least since this thread was created:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/new...sr-80s-406433/
The headphones I got look exactly like them and not like the old SR60's. So unless you buy used it might be against your will. You'll probably just get the SR80i/SR60i no matter which you order.

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 43
Waiting for a A/B comparison between old and new styles is probably a good idea.

Personally I doubt there will be any real difference in the "i" and "non-i" models.

One thing to consider, as may people will no doubt rush to get the new Grado's there will be good deals on used Grado's for anyone looking.
smile.gif

Feb 23, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayzei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the SR80. (Without the "i"), these new 'phones won't be a huge amount better i think, not enough to justify the money you could be saving right now in the sales!

SR80's are so amazing, my iPod has never sounded so good. EVER!

xx

I am sure the new "i" SR80's will be great too but man I just really get a lot of enjoyment out of my iPod Classic/SR80 combo also. I tried them straight out of my little, older gen Nano the other day and was very surprised at how good it sounded...just amazing!

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #9 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get the regular SR-80. I can't see this so-called improved version being any better but a marketing technique...

Your opinion can "see" it, but it never was able to "hear" it.
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #11 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your opinion can "see" it, but it never was able to "hear" it.
wink.gif

True. But I did a/b a pair of the RS-1i and the regular 2008 versions. Although they hadn't been burned-in too long, the differences were subtle. I don't know if paying full price for these "improved" cans will really be worth getting a good deal on a brand new pair of old ones.

Feb 24, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #14 of 43
I'm just going to remind you that nothing can make the old/vintage SR80's any less stellar than they have always been. At the now-cheaper price, they're simply a steal. It's a no-brainer.

But greed is, as always, the devil here. There's a possibility (not yet a certainty, unfortunately) that you can get a better headphone at the price you're already willing to pay. "A steal" is no longer enough.

The best solution is to wait for the comparisons, while hoping that the stores don't run out of the vintage SR80's while you do. But it's a lot of waiting and quite a lot of hoping. Is it worth it? Judging from the reviews of SR325is and the PS1000, yes it is. Grado does seem to get better at what they do. I'm quite sure they're ready for order, though, so it's just a matter of waiting for the comparisons instead of the availability.

An even better solution is to buy the SR80's and sell your remaining gears to afford the SR80i, and do all the nice people at head-fi a favor by comparing them side by side.

Any questions?
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #15 of 43
I agree with sadhanaputra. Plus bowls, man. Bowls! I think including comfies with 125is and lower was a good decision on Grado's part, in part due to the slightly greater bass, but SR80s with bowls are... well... special.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back