Worth upgrading my Grado SR-60s to SR-80s or SR-125s?
Mar 28, 2005 at 11:54 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuprSonik
Well, aside from Grados then, is there anything out there that would be a good upgrade from my SR-60s that would cost no more than $150-200 (preferably closer to $150)?

the hd580 used , i think you can get it for $120.

Mar 28, 2005 at 12:28 PM Post #17 of 30
SR125's are very detailed, and using the bowl pads- are too bright and uncomfortable to me. HD414 pads correct that in an instant and make them a very smooth and listenable audiophile grade headphone. I'd consider relisting them with a free set of 414 pads in the F/S forum if I knew how much to sell them for. I could use some advice on that one...

If you still like the SR60's, maybe a pad upgrade is the right thing for you. Pads make all the difference, and I've recently heard Beta C-Pads and Flat pads, and that about covers it. HD414 pads will suit all your needs unless you have 325i's or better. That's where the flats come in.
Late,
Abe

Mar 28, 2005 at 4:38 PM Post #19 of 30
I use both sr60 and sr80. (One pair at home, one pair at work) I had to take the bowls off the 80's 'cos they hurt my ears and refitted sr60 pads.

To my ears, the differences aren't major. It does make me wonder, especially with UK prices, what exactly are we getting for the increase in price. The 80's are identical in looks to the 60's.

I wouldn't upgrade to 80's. If anything - I'd save and go higher up the Grado scale.

Mar 28, 2005 at 5:55 PM Post #20 of 30
I own SR-60s and MS-1s.

To listen to each separately, they both sound wonderful. Once I listened to the SR-60 on a well-known bit of music then quickly switched over to the MS-1, though, it was really apparently how much more refined the MS-1s are. Bass impact, midrange articulation, and upper definition, sure - but really most in how they control each of these areas.

I would compare it to a speaker system that has its cone materials replaced with things that are much lighter and stiffer.

The MS-1 is a worthy upgrade that may only cost you a difference of $35.

Mar 29, 2005 at 2:43 AM Post #21 of 30
I forgot to mention that I prefer the flat pads from Todd's on the SR-125. (The bowl shaped stock pads sounded too bright and thin in the lower midrange and bass for me). I have the comfy pads on my SR-60, and there is a noticeable difference between these two phones even though the pads are dimensionally pretty much the same. Worth the upgrade price, no question.

Mar 29, 2005 at 2:50 AM Post #22 of 30
I think sr-60 is better then sr80 and sr125. Wait for sr225 if you can.

Biggie.

Mar 29, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #23 of 30
I have tried SR60, 80, 125, and 250. My favorite is the 80's. I use them now. Great for portables.

Mar 29, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #24 of 30
You see how advice varies all over the place? This is due, I think, to the unit-to-unit variation among Grados. Different units of the same model may sound more different than from a different model number. Also, the pads make a huge difference. The models above the SR-60 come with "bowl" pads that sound brighter, so some think the SR-60 sounds better. Aftermarket pads solve this, however.

Mar 29, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoney
Also, the pads make a huge difference. The models above the SR-60 come with "bowl" pads that sound brighter, so some think the SR-60 sounds better. Aftermarket pads solve this, however.

You hit it on the head, Stoney. It's all in the pads... unless you can add detatchable terminations to some 325i's or RS1's and stick in some Cardas or DIY high end cables. Then the sound should go through the roof in addition to the boost that pads bring. Think twin turbos on a small block Chevrolet 5.7 liter engine. That's the difference I can imagine. Too bad I have yet to hear it in person though.

Vroom
rs1smile.gif
Abe

Mar 29, 2005 at 11:08 AM Post #26 of 30
I agree that pads make a huge difference. I use the comfy pads (the SR60 default ones) on my SR125, and it gives them just the bass boost they need.

Mar 29, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuprSonik
I've had a pair of SR-60s for about 2 years and I love them. I'm wondering whether it would be worthwhile to sell them on eBay (can probably bring in $50 with a new pair of pads) and pick up some SR-80s/SR-125s? Does anyone know how much of a difference there is between my pair and those 2?

Thanks in advance.

As a owner of both the SR-60s(which I bought from Joe Grado himself) for 10 years and a owner on SR-125's for 2 years. Keep your 60's as your beater pair or donate to someone who only has those crappy Sony earbuds things. Buy the SR-125's and let them burn in for at least 100 hours. New out of the box the 125's won't sound much different than the 60's. But give them time to burn in and they will be more dynamic, have a truer tone and have much, much more detail. Don't waist your money on SR-225's. My burned in 125's have bested a coworkers 225's. That's not just my opinon but the opinion of my other coworkers. Several of us here a work have good sets of Can's.

Buy the SR-125's, you won't be dissapointed.

Mar 30, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Falqon
What's your source? That's the most important thing. If you're using a source that doesn't maximize the SR-60's, then a can upgrade isn't what you need.

Why, he's got a great point. Never even thought of that. A source upgrade is a much better place to spend your money.

I hear those ipod shuffles sound great!
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2005 at 10:37 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sottilde
I hear those ipod shuffles sound great!
biggrin.gif

Maybe, but every other company out there, Sandisk, iRiver, etc. has a comporably priced embedded memory player with more features, and possibly better quality in their outputs. iPod shuffles always seemed lacking to me and not a very good value. Of course, that's my humble opinion
biggrin.gif

Late,
Abe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back