Worth Trying Something New: Cowon D2 or Iaudio 7?
Aug 3, 2008 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Elluzion

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently have an Ipod 5.5gen 30 gig. I am thinking of changing sources, is it worth it? I am currently only using my tripple fi's, i don't think i need an amp because i cant hear a very significant sound difference. I like the Cowon D2, and have only seen positive things about it.

What are people's opinions?

I am just wondering if the change in sound and interface is worth the upgarde...

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 33
I also like the D2. Flash memory makes it flexible and adaptable to your needs. You certainly shouldn't need a portable amp with the D2/Triple.fi combo. Haven't heard the Iaudio7, but it consistantly gets high praise over on iaudiophile.net.

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 33
i am also thinking about dropping the ipod and trying a cowon D2 but i am a little worried about getting rid of itunes and the hassle of converting my alac files... will itunes be able to load a D2 or will i forced to use different software?

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am also thinking about dropping the ipod and trying a cowon D2 but i am a little worried about getting rid of itunes and the hassle of converting my alac files... will itunes be able to load a D2 or will i forced to use different software?

yeah i wanna drop my ipod, just for fun.

With the d2, you drag and drop, no software required, like itunes. im not sure if you can use alac. i would probably convert all my .FLAC to 320kbs/ files.

itunes is nice in the way of making playlists and organizing everything, this makes me a little hesitant. but i dont know, it might be for the better.

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 33
I own an i7 and 5.5 G iPod. I give the advantage to the Cowon for SQ but the storage space of my iPod wins the battle for being my main DAP.

I wouldn't be able to give up either player.

Aug 4, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 33
WAIT IS THE I7 NON EXPANDABLE>????

if it isnt expandable, then D2 wins me over.

Aug 4, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elluzion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WAIT IS THE I7 NON EXPANDABLE>????

if it isnt expandable, then D2 wins me over.

Congrats on your new player.
ph34r.gif

I hate myself for not waiting to buy the i7...I could have bought the 16GB for not a lot more than what I paid for my 8GB. What's new huh.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Of course I can only store 1/10 the amount of music in the i7 as my 80 GB iPod but I simply re-sync when I finish with the 800~900 songs.

Aug 4, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

yeah i wanna drop my ipod, just for fun.

With the d2, you drag and drop, no software required, like itunes. im not sure if you can use alac. i would probably convert all my .FLAC to 320kbs/ files.

The D2 plays FLAC however I use ogg Vorbis -q8 (~256 kb/s) as it's so close to transparency to lossless for me.

Use OggDropXPd to convert. Make sure you enable "Copy comments/tags from FLAC input file" from the 'tagging' options on right-click to save headaches! + also change the default encoding to -q8 in the encoding options on right click.

Vorbis is better than mp3 at the same bitrate and even higher bitrate. Vorbis @ 256k kicks 320k mp3 out of the water. Vorbis is natural VBR as well.

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #11 of 33
thanks for the info guys. yeah i can get the d2 16gb for $220 shipped. or something like that. which is pretty good
biggrin.gif

i still don't know if i should truly sell my ipod though...

Aug 4, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

thanks for the info guys. yeah i can get the d2 16gb for $220 shipped. or something like that. which is pretty good
biggrin.gif

i still don't know if i should truly sell my ipod though...

Keep both if you can...I like the fact that the triple's sound very different on each DAP I have tried and you may like each for different usage contexts

Triple + d2 unamped gives me exquisite sound detailing - bass may not be enough if you are a real basshead (I'm not!) but since you have an amp in your sig as well you definitely won't have that problem...by all reports D2 sounds great amped.

Aug 4, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #13 of 33
hi where do you get a 16gb d2 for 220? i'm looking for one too. almost the same situation, got the triple fi's and looking to get a D2.
seem's to get good recommendations on the synergy
i'm debating a i7 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back