Worth selling the 2005/6 DT880 250ohms to get the 600ohms version?
Aug 6, 2010 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
Are the differences between them *that* significant to warrant this course of action?

Or are they just very slightly smoother (the "it's night and day" claims being audiophile exaggeration)?

Aug 6, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 43
well, cactus_farmer. i feel personally equipped to give my opinion on the matter.
and, please remember, it is only my experience.  not to be taken as the truth, and certainly not representative of the consensus at head-fi....

the 600 ohm cans are a bit more detailed and revealing.  and the imaging and headstage are better than the 250 ohm version.
how much?  a little.

the differences between them are often overstated on the forums.
folks say "stay away from the 250 ohm beyers!"
i wouldn't be that dramatic about it.

in fact, there is one area in which i was disappointed with the trade up to the 600 ohm version.  and that was the treble.
sine the 600 ohm cans have lighter drivers and are more nimble, they (to my ears) have a more lively treble response than the 250 ohms.

the 250 ohm treble was never "too much" to my ears.
but, the 600 ohm dt880s i find to be just a hint too bright for my tastes.

those are just my impressions.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 43

Quote:
Are the differences between them *that* significant to warrant this course of action?

Or are they just very slightly smoother (the "it's night and day" claims being audiophile exaggeration)?

Yes and I would recommend it. I did and was very happy I did. I didn't move the DT880/600s until I needed the $ for my T1s (my current favourite headphones of all time).

Not day and night, but well worth it IMHO.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 43
me and MacadeneonHero both made terrible mistakes of purchasing the DT880/250ohm in the past
cool.gif
,  but in Macadeneon's case, he immediately got rid of his, and somehow I'm still stuck mine
cool.gif

I noticed immediate differences and flaws from the DT880/250 when i switched the DT990/600ohm.  The 600ohm beyers are just special, it's tough to explain in words, but some-how they are just special. I'm some-what in the same dilemma. I can easily sell the 250'ohmer and get the 600ohm, but I would rather wait until i get a better amp. This way i can enjoy 600ohm drivers even mOAR, since they sound better and better as the level of the amp rises.

If you have a [size=inherit]beef[/size]y amp, It's definitely worth considering since Amazon and B&H has them for $250 now, if your amp is nothing special, don't expect miracles from the DT880/600. If you have something decent like the Little dot Mark 3 that i have, you will most likely hear improvements.. I know I did !   They both use nearly the same juice to drive(but different wiring technology that makes 600ohm sound better with stronger amps).  But this is all opinions and experience of course !  I know some people like Donald_North who prefers the beyer 250ohm drivers :O

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 43
To describe the DT880 as a "terrible mistake" but then go on to say that the 600ohm are just special, must be amongst the biggest exaggerations on Headfi.  I am sure there is a slight difference in presentation  (which seems to be supported by FR charts) but to describe one as a terrible mistake and then suggest the other is special, is ridiculous.  I know the 600 ohm boys will turn up and say I haven't heard them so I don't know what I am talkingt about, but I have heard from people I respect that have AB'ed both and they say night and day is simply BS.  The DT880 (250ohm) is a great headphone and I am sure that DT880 (600ohm) is as well, whether it is better or not will depend on individual preference, but night and day? one great the other a mistake?- come on you are kidding yourselves.

How many people with 600ohm have AB'ed with the 250ohm?  Memory of headphones and particularly with different gear is a poor measure of sound.  

Aug 6, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #7 of 43

Quote:
To describe the DT880 as a "terrible mistake" but then go on to say that the 600ohm are just special, must be amongst the biggest exaggerations on Headfi.  I am sure there is a slight difference in presentation  (which seems to be supported by FR charts) but to describe one as a terrible mistake and then suggest the other is special, is ridiculous.  I know the 600 ohm boys will turn up and say I haven't heard them so I don't know what I am talkingt about, but I have heard from people I respect that have AB'ed both and they say night and day is simply BS.  The DT880 (250ohm) is a great headphone and I am sure that DT880 (600ohm) is as well, whether it is better or not will depend on individual preference, but night and day? one great the other a mistake?- come on you are kidding yourselves.

How many people with 600ohm have AB'ed with the 250ohm?  Memory of headphones and particularly with different gear is a poor measure of sound.  

I think to clarify DavidM's position, for only a few more bucks you could have the better version. So the big mistake was blowing $230 on the 250 ohm version....and then having to sell them at a loss and then buy the 600 ohm versions (which are better, no doubt...but not like T1 better).

Live and learn...

Aug 6, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 43
I have the DT800 250s.  Love them.  They are said to have a slight "V equalizer curve" approach to the midranges, which I find pleasing.  I've always liked the tonal setup, so for me, the 250s are a winner.

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 43
$249 for the 880/600s is amazing! And I thought I got a great deal 3 weeks ago at $289. Gotta be one of the best headphone values going right now.

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 43
That is a heck of a deal.  When I bought my 250s, they were $250 and the going rate for the 600s was $319 everywhere.  I read the reviews (V shape curve) and decided to save a few bucks.  I am happy.  Now, if I was buying today, I'd probably get the deal on the 600s.  But, not much I can do about it now.

Quote:
$249 for the 880/600s is amazing! And I thought I got a great deal 3 weeks ago at $289. Gotta be one of the best headphone values going right now.

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 43
I have the DT880/600 and i find them too bright, yes they are highly detailed, but the highs are just too much for me to handle in music. they make really good use for movies and that's why i still have them

I remember i had the DT880/250ohm a while back and if i recall correctly, they had soft and never ear fatiguing treble. I believe the 600ohm is too over-hyped as well. it's probably marketing or something for use with really high end amplifiers like the ones studio uses.  

I would like to own the DT880/250ohm and re-visit them one more time and give them some A/B testing with my DT880/600 to really be sure.. I might do this in the near future.

Aug 7, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #13 of 43
Wow, that's interesting. Generally just the opposite of most other comments I've read. But I've never heard the 250s, and amps and ears vary, for sure.

To me, the 600s are certainly not overly bright - and I found that to be a real problem for me with my Grado sr80is.

Aug 7, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #14 of 43

Quote:
Wow, that's interesting. Generally just the opposite of most other comments I've read. But I've never heard the 250s, and amps and ears vary, for sure.

To me, the 600s are certainly not overly bright - and I found that to be a real problem for me with my Grado sr80is.

I have tried the DT880/600 from quite a bit of sources and amps like Woo Audio 3, and the Little Dot MKIII,  but they just were too damn bright.  I'm certainly not the first to encounter these problems, i think somebody made a thread here once about how to tame the DT880/600 highs and some other people had some trouble with the DT880/600 as well. 

From what i remember about the DT880/250ohm were that they had sweet treble. Not as lush, warm as my Senn HD650's , but it was very soft, pleasing and neatly done. But It's been a long time since i had the dt880/250, so my opinion may not be accurate to say right now.

Even my DT990/600 is bright and has some annoyance like treble spikes, harshness and did i mention brightness? I love the bass and soundstage of the dt990 and they do tremendously well with gaming, but if i listen to music 30 min straight, my ears would probably be shredded from the excessive over-emphasized treble, cymbals, bells,etc..(this is the same case with the dt880/600)

I'm not trying to attack the 600ohm, they have their strengths and they do deliver, but I just feel that they are too overrated. I really do want to try the dt880/250ohm because of positive experience with them in the past. But i agree with what you said: headphones, amps and ears vary from person to person. I guess I'm just sensitive to high treble frequencies =\

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #15 of 43
interesting topic. i was able to compare the dt880 250 ohm vs the 600 ohm version for about two weeks or so. actually, when i first put on the 600 ohm variant, i had a lot of expectations, having been given recommendations by friends, and reading on my own on the different forums i could access. whether this gave me a prior bias, i am not sure, but on that very first listen, i felt that i was going to let go of the 250 ohm. i immediately liked the sound. for one the clarity was better as per my ears and gears. also, i described the presentation then as being more alive, although at this time i would say that the 600 ohm had just the right amount of balance as Zombie_X mentioned (previously described in another thread). my only problem was the sibilance, which eventually settled down (or my ears just adjusted to them). i sold off the 250 ohm version obviously as i had the more expensive and better-sounding can. i had that headphone for about a year (which is a loongg time, pretty mean feat!), and i sold off a grado sr60 and alessandro ms2i during that same period as i felt they could not compete with the enjoyment i was getting out of the beyers...

right out of the box i loved the dt880 600 ohm version over the 250 ohms. that is why i recommend them. not to say that the latter is bad, they are actually darn terrific! it's just that the 600 ohm version sounds better as per my ears 
smile.gif

so yes, it is worth it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back