Worth Amping my cx300's?
Feb 19, 2007 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Lemmy

New Head-Fier
I'm contemplating buying a cmoy amp.

I'm using Sennheiser cx300's with an Iriver h10 as a source. Is it worth amping this setup. Will I see any increase in sound quality. Also does the player need to set to line out when using the amp, as my players requires a dock to line out which I dont have. Thanks for any responses in advance.

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 9
You don't have to have lineout dock to use an amp, but it improves the sound, at least with an iPod. The differences comes from bypassing the player's own amp.

I tried to amp my CX300s with my PA2v2, but since they are both very bass-heavy I didn't think they really needed that kind of amplification. As a results I stopped amping them. Afterwards I moved up to UM1s and now it's a totally different story.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 9
amping the cx300 which are quite sensitive (112db is it?) is a great combo. they hiss with almost any source but with an amp used from even the head-out, you can gain the head-out relatively high and gain the amp low and then the hiss is 90% gone. cheers

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:48 PM Post #5 of 9
I don't believe you need to amp the CX300. The CX300 are meant for portable/workout use. In my opinion, if you add a portable amp to that system, it takes away from its portability. So just stick with the CX300 straight to your portable source. I really couldn't tell much difference amping my CX300 using the 2006 BitHead anyway.

Feb 19, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
amping the cx300 which are quite sensitive (112db is it?) is a great combo. they hiss with almost any source but with an amp used from even the head-out, you can gain the head-out relatively high and gain the amp low and then the hiss is 90% gone. cheers

Passive attenuation would do the job too

Feb 19, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lipidicman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Passive attenuation would do the job too

that is true! yet, i have an amp instead of a cable - and i can use it now for a variety of different headphones... for sure passive is the cheaper way, but sometimes the extra resistance may load the player differently than the amplifier which try to emulate zero resistance to the source. i have thought much of doing passive resitance for my um2 which have audible noise even from the quiet usb transit, though very barely.

great suggestion!

Feb 19, 2007 at 8:42 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hmm... no hiss with my trekstor vibez nor my cowon f2. the amping i tried was through my iMod/Hornet combo. again - didn't hear any real improvement.

Feb 19, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #9 of 9
I did hear a major improvement when I passed from Rio Karma to Kenwood HD20GA7, using the CX300s as canalphones. The difference is night and day. My next step will be upgrading to Etymotic ER-4P, and I'm really curious about what I will able to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back