Worst thing you've done to your headphones?
Mar 24, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #61 of 91
wore my HD580, sportapro and ksc75 in the rain.

played my EX51 too loud burning in with 35 Hz sine waves and the coils cooked. After 30 minutes they were physically hot to the touch.

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:44 AM Post #63 of 91
This applies to every piece of gear I've ever owned, not just headphones --

Spilled beer on them.

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #64 of 91
I suck the cables of all my headphones and IEMs.

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #65 of 91
Stepped on the wire while getting up... Snapped the driver part off the band.

Wore my KSC75's in the rain...

Uh. I just bought UM1's... and an Umbrella.
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:57 AM Post #66 of 91
i've snagged a wire on the bus while listening to my er6i's with the silicon tips, pulled both clean out of my ears and scared the crap outta me. While testing a cmoy on some el cheapo buds, I cranked it up all the way and left it there, for a couple hours. I've also hooked another set to an old stereo amp just to see what frying headphones would look like.

Mar 24, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #67 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
Accidently stepped on the cord and then tried to stand up. Idiot.

I've done that a couple of times too... it pisses me off so much. lol

Mar 24, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #68 of 91
My Zen Touch came with earbuds with one ear cord longer than the other. At the time I thought they were adjustable and just out of balance. So I tried to adjust them. Wouldn't budge. Then tried really hard and ripped the cord in two.

Hard to put into words the blunt dumbness you feel at such moments.

Mar 24, 2006 at 7:57 AM Post #69 of 91
This is the thread to read before purchasing anything from the forsale section.

On my ms-2 i've:
- dropped them a number of times
- stood on the cable while standing up, causing one of the cups to rip off the headband and hit the ground
- run over the cable with my chair a number of times
- cut out the grilles on the ear side
- dented one of the drivers in 2 places while doing that
- cut a hole in the metal cup with a dremel

Still works perfect.

For my sony ex71 I left them dangilng out the car door while the car drove for half an hour. The actual headphones detached from the extention cord pretty quickly and I found them with minimal damage. the extention cord dragged the whole way and the mini-jack was pretty scratched up but still working

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:01 AM Post #70 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
Accidently stepped on the cord and then tried to stand up. Idiot.

Did it with my Shure E4's. That hurts, hurts I tell you!

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:58 PM Post #71 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by DougGreenberg
This happens to me all the time. Fortunately, the headphones most prone to this are my Senn HD-600's, which have cables that pull out and unplug, so they don't break. I still curse at myself (stupid, stupid, stupid!!) every time it happens.
blink.gif

Yah I've done the same with my HD-25-SP's numerous times with the same reaction...

Mar 24, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #72 of 91
I love spinning in those office chairs I have at my old computer desk. Probably something I missed out on in my childhood.
biggrin.gif
I also like headphones.

So of course with some really bad RadioShack "Titanium" full size cans plugged into the computer I spun around to grab a CD and because the jack was in the back of the computer, it didn't just unplug. Headphones went flying one way, the remains of the two bare wires snapped back towards the computer and I kind of sit there with a dumb look on my face, much as one would try to push the two broken pieces together in hope some "magic" force would make them new again.

Of course the things that makes this the worst is that event lead me to head-fi in some strange, sadistic manner. 3 headphones and $700 later I'm a bit more careful with my cans.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #73 of 91
I can truthfully say that "I have not damaged a set of cans in any way" Yet.

....only had them for less than a week.

Reading, and re-reading this thread will help keep the status quo!

One thing that almost happened was I nearly sat on my new MS-1s when I sat them down on my chair to quickly go look after a little ones dire emergency. When I went to sit back down, in subdued lighting, I decided I'd leave the 414s yellow!!

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #74 of 91
A few days after I got my DT-880s I had them sitting on my desk and was eating dinner watching a DVD on my computer and knocked a full glass of beer over. I flew into a panic because I thought the beer had gone all over them and the pads were soaked in it. But after rescuing them I realised that only one tiny drop had gone on the outside metal housing!

Either it was a miracle or they have some secret Beyer beer repelling treatment because the beer went everywhere except the headphones!

The next day I ordered a banana stand to keep them safe!

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #75 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000
A few days after I got my DT-880s I had them sitting on my desk and was eating dinner watching a DVD on my computer and knocked a full glass of beer over. I flew into a panic because I thought the beer had gone all over them and the pads were soaked in it. But after rescuing them I realised that only one tiny drop had gone on the outside metal housing!

Either it was a miracle or they have some secret Beyer beer repelling treatment because the beer went everywhere except the headphones!

The next day I ordered a banana stand to keep them safe!

Beyer ist Deutsche. Prost!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back