Worst Recording
Jul 4, 2009 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

revolink24

Headphoneus Supremus
I came up with this thread after listening to "Keep Yourself Alive" Queen on the 1981 Greatest Hits album (Just bloody awful.), and seeing various "Best Recording" and "Audiophile (insert genre here)" threads.. Post what, in your opinion, the worst recorded songs by any artists on any album are. Can include various masters from the "loudness war."

I will make one stipulation here though.
No Death Magnetic. There, half the useless posts are gone.

Anyway, on Keep Yourself Alive - It seems like everything is clipping, and hitting brick wall compression at reasonably low levels. Just painful.

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #2 of 40
The Red Hot Chili Peppers-Californiacation
RHCP-Stadium Arcadium
^^These two albums right here are the definition of the loudness war.

This is a waveform of the CD release (top) and the LP release (bottom)http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...h_waveform.png

Every Mars Volta Album after De-Loused was mastered a little bad.
The new DMB album Big Whiskey is unlistenable for me. It's really muddy.

Jul 4, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #3 of 40
Nevermind the Bollocks-Sex Pistols , It sounds really bad even compared to other punk albums of that time.

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 40
"At War With the Mystics," The Flaming Lips. Compression like I've rarely heard. The album is unlistenable. Still love them, though.

"Concert by the Sea," Errol Garner. No compression, just a horrible recording made with horrible equipment. The music is so good, however, that it's worth putting up with. If only they could have had good equipment there.

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by salannelson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Red Hot Chili Peppers-Californiacation
RHCP-Stadium Arcadium
^^These two albums right here are the definition of the loudness war.

This is a waveform of the CD release (top) and the LP release (bottom)http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...h_waveform.png

Every Mars Volta Album after De-Loused was mastered a little bad.
The new DMB album Big Whiskey is unlistenable for me. It's really muddy.

I gotta disagree here. Frances, Bedlam and Octahedron all sound pretty damned great.
Amputechture sounds bad. Lots of distortion and some very painful channel separation. Sometimes an entire verse of vocals will be on one side of the channels, and it's enough to give you a headache - it's very fatiguing.

I'm not sure what the worst sounding CD I've ever heard is. The bonus disc to Radiohead's In Rainbows was quite bad. Lots of distortion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"At War With the Mystics," The Flaming Lips. Compression like I've rarely heard. The album is unlistenable. Still love them, though.

Yoshimi is also very loud.

The other day I tried to listen to my Michael Jackson Dangerous CD. It has an album gain of -10.28db. Not very nice at all.

Jul 4, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #8 of 40
Try "Earthbound" by King Crimson. Recorded on a Sony cassette recorder in 1972 from the FOH mix. So bad that Atlantic refused to take up the option of releasing it in the USA. Hugely distorted.

Jul 4, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 40
Magic by Bruce Springsteen. Horrible.

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #11 of 40
The new Dinosaur Jr. Album, Farm. Terribly recorded, terribly compressed.

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #13 of 40
Real Black Metal. Any of it.

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #14 of 40
Mastodon's Blood Mountain is very painful to listen to.

This is the first track, The Wolf is Loose

67149209.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back