Worst recorded/Mastered Albums
May 6, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #107 of 125
Anything by Snow Patrol - hideous dynamic compression, a complete assault upon the ears and to me completely unlistenable with headphones. We're talking <5 avg DR for rock/pop music.  Painful.

Almost as bad, the 2009 remasters of the Rolling Stones catalogue...just a big wall of noise.  The 2002 SACD/CD hybrids are hugely better.

Jul 15, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #109 of 125
Nelly Furtado - Say it Right

This has gotta be the worst mastered song of the last decade! The beats are so appallingly distorted with compression and the levels are as off as a lost llama in a jungle! This song actually sounded good on my non-audiophile setup, so if this sounds good to you then there is definitely something wrong with your 'rig. She is my favorite female vocalist but unfortunately many of her songs are mastered totally unlistenable.

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #110 of 125

This has gotta be the worst mastered song of the last decade! The beats are so appallingly distorted with compression and the levels are as off as a lost llama in a jungle! This song actually sounded good on my non-audiophile setup, so if this sounds good to you then there is definitely something wrong with your 'rig. She is my favorite female vocalist but unfortunately many of her songs are mastered totally unlistenable.

I would give you a thumbs up @DecentLevi, but wouldn't want to be mistaken for liking this drek. My headphones were pleading for it to stop.

It's probably been mentioned before, but some of the worst mastering I've ever come across is on The Stooges' Raw Power. Awful - harsh, thin-sounding, levels all over the place. Iggy Pop screwed up the first mix by all accounts, but Bowie's remaster didn't do much to put it right. To be fair though, I think it was done in one day in a tin pot studio.

Jul 17, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #111 of 125
Problem is I like that Iggy Pop material. Until you commented I just assumed that was the cheap & nasty low rent punk effect they were looking for. I tolerate a lot if the song does it for me.

Just listening to it now and it sounds as if 4 people recorded their instrumental bits and it was all then played back on different speakers randomly thrown in a room with Iggy singing over them. A bit like it two kids were using random cheap boom boxes to hack some sort of karaoke. Brilliant stuff, great music and more punk than plenty of the self-regarding trash that came later.

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #112 of 125

I'm glad nothing seems to be wrong with my gear.
beyersmile.png

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #113 of 125
Problem is I like that Iggy Pop material. Until you commented I just assumed that was the cheap & nasty low rent punk effect they were looking for. I tolerate a lot if the song does it for me.

Just listening to it now and it sounds as if 4 people recorded their instrumental bits and it was all then played back on different speakers randomly thrown in a room with Iggy singing over them. A bit like it two kids were using random cheap boom boxes to hack some sort of karaoke. Brilliant stuff, great music and more punk than plenty of the self-regarding trash that came later.

Yeah you're not alone in that - I think I'm right in saying it was one of Kurt Cobain's favourite albums. I guess it does encapsulate the punk ethos - I just can't get past my bleeding ears 
size]
 Always been more of a post-punk kinda guy!

Sep 14, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #114 of 125
First aid kit. - Stay Gold. Everybody in Europe must have heard them on the Renault Kadjar commercial. I liked the sound so decided to give the album a go.

Couldn't believe my ears so ran the DR plugin and got a DR of 6.  Weird drum effects, some other instrumentals and way, way at the back some vocals.

Dec 16, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #116 of 125
Metallica - Death Magnetic

The Guitar Hero rip is quite listenable.  I wouldn't go so far as to say it sounds "good", mainly because of the awful equalization on the drums (a little too similar to the St. Anger drum sound for my tastes), but the guitars sound great, there's some dynamic range, and that awful digital clipping is not present.

Feb 25, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #117 of 125
Another for the "not worth it really" list

Alanis Morisette, Jagged Little Pill 20th Anniversary Collector’s Edition

Average DR of 8, sibilance all over the place and in all honesty a step back from the original CD

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #119 of 125
I guess I was asking for that. :p

Funnily enough on one of the extra discs I found some really nice tracks from a small set for a Dutch radio show on the 9th of june 1995. DR of 13 and a wonderfully intimate feel.

Jul 10, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #120 of 125
Luke Bryan - Kill The Lights.
Clutch - Pure Rock Fury
Metallica - Death Magnetic
Hinder (As a whole)
I'll stop there.(would take weeks.)
A CD Rip (to Flac) of the song "Move" for instance has a replay gain of -14.18 dB,(with tons of distortion)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back