WORST headphone you ever heard?
Feb 16, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #541 of 1,786
Quote:
Quote:
It was the white iMac that is huge. Is that an eMac?

http://images.apple.com/imac/specs/images/specs_display_27inch_imac.jpg

I have the 27 inch model and it's silver and not white. Unless you mean the older models?

It's relatively clean sounding to listen to and watch shows

g4-746025.jpg

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #543 of 1,786
Feb 17, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #544 of 1,786
The Denon AH-D7000 was about half the price and ten times better.

I went to a headphone meet today and heard the D2000 for the first time. I was very impressed, it was my favorite can of the meet (and I was the only one to think so, although it's not surprising since everyone else unanimously voted on my Stax).

Feb 17, 2013 at 2:03 AM Post #546 of 1,786
Worst headphones hmm got a fairly big list and only restricts to full-sized can's.

Sennheiser
HD515, 545, 570 - schitt treble very recessed, 570 - brighter than your usual Grado SR-80

Koss
UR50, DJ100, all Pro4aa/aaa's ( 60-70's vintage, where fak my mids, highs go? And modern models due to schiit earpads) Koss ESP6 and 7 (I don't care how you restore them or mod them, crap is going to be crap), 
Sidenote: Not really crap but out of the stock crappy energizer the ESP-950 deserves a more better energizer than the stock.

AKG
K300, K/Q70X (I don't care if you're powering these out of a $5k amp, you can't fix that crappy plasticky sounding treble, soundstaging and imaging is alright, good looks and best to get rid of the stock drivers ASAP)

Grado
SR-60, 80, 125 (SR-60/80...my ear's...my faking ear's..to bright can be fixed by full driver housing modification Billavideo started a thread on few years ago, I'm very surprised that Alessandro's don't have this bright glare problem the SR-60/80's have made by the same company). SR-115, What happened to my soundstage? Also bright sounding, skip this model and get a 225 or 325i.

Denon
D2k, D7k and all the new Denon range. (Few years back a few user's called the D7k natural sounding...What?? Like Duggeh once said, these are bass-bloated fart monsters....extremely coloured warm and bassy, but very nice build quality thanks to the headband and wood, D2k - if you want bass, quality bass look elsewhere and skip out on the D2k's. Don't care if it's markl modded or got plutonium rings modded to the driver, crap sub-bass and mid bass performance, my HD438's modded can out sound perform them). Surprisingly the D5k (after screen mod) is the good sounding Denon out of the range.
- Since the D2 - D7k have been discontinued they were replaced by the new D***/k line...these are ugly and sound just as bad as the original predecessor models....Denon need's a visit to the doctors.

Superlux
That one 668 model....sounds too artificial, can be fixed with some equalisation....how can people call these neutral and better sounding than the original K240 models?

Monster
All the Beat's line except the Studio and Pro's. For the price they are very bad but the higher-end models namely Studios and Pro's especially don't look that bad, the Pro's are built fairly well, nothing to write home about though. The pricing on anything by Monster is an insult us audiophile, hipsters, head-fi, me myself and I and sheep followers of the masses after fashion.

Ultrasone
Niche products for niche people, at least in my opinion. 
Pro900, hyped and overrated acclaimed "godly bass performers", sorry but I once heard a slightly modded M-Audio Q40 to out sound the Pro900's. Very dark and bassy, you pair it with a warm sounding amplifier and you don't have sound left besides distortion.
Limited Edition 8, 10: Pricing on these are absolutely ridiculous for the sound performance, my overrated LCD2's sound better and is still cheaper. Although besides sound very good packaging and build quality though, absolutely love the leather earpads on the Ltd Ed 10's and the included headphone stand, would definitely buy one for looks only.

Audio Technica
W5000, hear one of these and quickly learn about sound not living up to the promise of the price.
M50's, probably the most overrated headphone on head-fi since Nikola Tesla invented the formula for electricity.

That's about it for headphones. These are all compared and devalued by me sound-wise....build quality wise and IEM's is another story for another thread that I don't want to get started on at all.

Feb 17, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #548 of 1,786
Quote:

D2k, D7k and all the new Denon range. (Few years back a few user's called the D7k natural sounding...What?? Like Duggeh once said, these are bass-bloated fart monsters....extremely coloured warm and bassy, but very nice build quality thanks to the headband and wood, D2k - if you want bass, quality bass look elsewhere and skip out on the D2k's. Don't care if it's markl modded or got plutonium rings modded to the driver, crap sub-bass and mid bass performance, my HD438's modded can out sound perform them). Surprisingly the D5k (after screen mod) is the good sounding Denon out of the range.
- Since the D2 - D7k have been discontinued they were replaced by the new D***/k line...these are ugly and sound just as bad as the original predecessor models....Denon need's a visit to the doctors.

Damn. The D2000 aren't the most natural but speaking purely bass performance, they are actually quite controlled. It even shows on their 50 Hz square wave response. Sure they aren't as controlled as my LCD-2s but quite good nonetheless, especially at their price range. I can agree with pro 900 being over the top though.

Feb 17, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #551 of 1,786
The OP said to exclude Beats and the buds you get with your iPod otherwise this is going to turn into 100 pages of "my Beats were crap".

My worst phones were a pair of Panasonic wireless phones that would explode into a few seconds of deafening static every 5 minutes or so. Wearing them was like playing Russian roulette with your hearing.

Feb 17, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #552 of 1,786
Quote:

Damn. The D2000 aren't the most natural but speaking purely bass performance, they are actually quite controlled. It even shows on their 50 Hz square wave response. Sure they aren't as controlled as my LCD-2s but quite good nonetheless, especially at their price range. I can agree with pro 900 being over the top though.

Yep didn't like it one bit, what's funny is that I was actually given one from a friend who owed me from back in the day and repaid his debt by giving me his D2k with a separate Markl mod kit and J$pads....I sold it after less than 50 hours of head-time. I thought cables and few driver port and dampening would do the trick to easing down on the muddy bass reproduction....it got worse.

And oh yeh...forgot to add one more headphone to the craptacular list..

Audio Technica ATH-AD700...M50's being the most overrated, the AD700 would come a close 2nd, I feel sorry for the people's ear's that use these or proclaim they are really good for gaming. Ok I won't be harsh but headphones like the AD700 should be categorised with the Beat's. These are not bass-light...they have NO bass, literally you would get some crap bass measurements out of these for a FR graph. Soundstaging is OK, imaging is just mediocre. Skip these slumdogs out and put yourself in a pair of more comfortable shoes by buying the AD900's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back