WORST headphone you ever heard?
Dec 16, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #1,008 of 1,786
Oh yeah, I remember having an old pair of Sentry earbuds that were required for school once, those things did not fit in your ears at all and the only things you heard was the midrange, nothing else was present. Lower frequencies are distant, and the highs are almost non-existent.

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #1,009 of 1,786
  skullcandy 50/50 iems hurt my ears with my laptop volume almost at 2%.

and some iems i got with a pair of cross trainers.

i agree. I bought some Sennheiser CX150's, and then thought I was upgrading with the 50/50's, and the sound was so harsh, grainy, and unsettled, it was the worst $50.00 I've ever spent on IEMS. EVER! Even worse than the Brainwavz Delta's. Mind you this was 4-5 years ago, so I wasn't as educated as i am now. 

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #1,010 of 1,786
  ATH-M50, bass is much too muddy.

If that's the worst headphone you've ever heard, your audio life has been pretty privileged. I wouldn't call a studio standard the "worst" of anything.

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #1,011 of 1,786

ATH-M50, bass is much too muddy.

If that's the worst headphone you've ever heard, your audio life has been pretty privileged. I wouldn't call a studio standard the "worst" of anything.

Read through the entire thread and you can laugh at a few other 'worst' headphones like the AKG K550 
rolleyes.gif

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #1,012 of 1,786
  Read through the entire thread and you can laugh at a few other 'worst' headphones like the AKG K550 
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I've been keeping up with it for awhile.

Dec 19, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #1,013 of 1,786
  Worst headphones I have ever heard? Some stupid dinky ones from the dollar general. I needed them to house some new drivers for a weekend project.

Worst ever headphones I have listened to that could be considered real headphones? I do not know, but I can say that I know of one that is terribly over priced and poplar that sounds pretty bad. 

Sennheiser HD800s. Don't get me wrong, they have great clarity, and have great sound stage.......but everything else is pretty bad. It seems like they sacrificed bass, mids, and any hopes of having a natural sound all for the sake of transparency. 

I have tried different amps, dacs, cables, everything. I simply can not find a way for these things to have the same full sound that even the HD600 has. 

The worst thing is the price. For 600 bucks they would be ok, but for 1300+........no.  

I had the same impression when I heard the HD 800 for myself, it went against everything I expected from Senns in a bad way, it keep the so so traits most Senns have then added a whole bunch of other things that made the headphone really unpleasant to me. There is too much hype and praise around the HD 800 imo, it seems the people who say its bright are often told they are wrong or ignored. They were the worst top of the line headphone I auditioned. The boosted treble hurt my ears and gave me a bad headache. I heard it on numerous systems and amps both tubes and solid state. I wonder if they are really that transparent or if it's just an illusion of transparency because after listening to other top of the line headphones many sounded more detailed and transparent to me while also having more fullness and musicality to them, which gives me the impression the HD 800 simply artificially boosts it's clarity and refinement to a degree. It was too bright and genre limited and song limited to be neutral imo. I am wondering if there is large manufacturing variations in how they sound which may actually be the case considering how varied the impressions of them are.

When it comes to a headphone I have owned, the AKG K514 MKII was horrid, almost no bass, thin mids, and shrieking and piercing highs. At least it was comfortable and had some of that akg musicality to it that made it somewhat tolerable and enjoyable on like 3% of the music.

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #1,014 of 1,786
Theres no denying that the hd800 measures ver, very well.

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:30 AM Post #1,015 of 1,786
The worst that I've ever heard was a pair of ear-buds that a friend of mine bought from a dollar store when she was broke. You couldn't even understand the singer because the mid-range was so recessed, but there was also no bass or highs to balance the spectrum
eek.gif

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #1,017 of 1,786
I love the action inside this thread; worst headphones ever? Com'on. There is no way any headphones sold in a hi-fi shop or even big-box store are the worst headphones you've ever heard. Buy an iPod and listen to the supplied headphones, go on an air-plane and ask for headphones... Clearly those are the worst headphones out there! 

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #1,018 of 1,786
  I love the action inside this thread; worst headphones ever? Com'on. There is no way any headphones sold in a hi-fi shop or even big-box store are the worst headphones you've ever heard. Buy an iPod and listen to the supplied headphones, go on an air-plane and ask for headphones... Clearly those are the worst headphones out there! 

The iPod stock earphones are actually ok for their price. Not great by any means, but 1000x better than airline headphones.

Jan 6, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #1,020 of 1,786
I have a pair of Maxells that's I got about 6 years ago because they were noise-canceling and folded up well. They do cancel noise pretty well but at the expense of making the music so muffled it sounds like you're underwater.  My wife has some Nakamichis that she got at Sears a while back, just awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back