Worried about hearing...
Aug 16, 2012 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

nehcrow

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm only 18, nearly 19 years old.
I've always listened to music at a reasonable volume I think but I've listened to music for extended sessions (at a least a few hours, possibly up to maybe 8 hours a day or something)
I've done a few online hearing tests and I just found out I can only hear up to 13khz. I'm really worried I've done permanent damage to my hearing :frowning2:
I should be worried at this point, right? I mean hearing up to 13 khz does not sound normal at my age...
Really annoyed at myself... Then I hear cases of people listening to music at massive volumes and going to concerts all the time yet still hearing up to 20 khz, I feel really unlucky as I've never abused my ears in this way.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 29
Have you gotten them cleaned properly at any time in your life? That could be part of the problem. 13khz does seem worrying as most older people I know round off at about 16khz. 

How did you actually do the test? Doctor? Or was it a 'self test'?

Aug 29, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 29
Damn, it seems that everyone doctor I talk to says as long as the frequency range used for speech perception is normal (mine is fine), then everything is fine
Annoying that nobody cares about the higher frequencies :\

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 29
I'd do an official test before getting worried, your headphones may have rounded off highs which is impacting the test.

I'd go to an audiologist, get the test done, and talk to him.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 29
Depends, you may have a very fulfilling audio experience. 13Khz is a bit low for critical listening, especially in the highs, but it's a pretty high tone when comparing it to most music, though.
What headphones/speakers did you do the test with?

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 29
Alessandro MS-Pro (Modified Grado RS-1i), doubt it's equipment's fault
Thanks, Taowolf51.. as long as I can still appreciate my music and equipment fully I'll be happy
I'm having a hard time believing the damage is caused by noise exposure though :\ Hmm... I mean I really only got into audio 3 years ago, how much damage really could I have done.

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 29
It may be, it seems the RS1i's have a drop after 10kHz:

I do wish headroom marked how many Hz the right end was.

Do you have anything else you could try it with? Just to be absolutely sure.

Aug 30, 2012 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 29
graphCompare.php

most headphones roll off after 10 khz until about 12-14 khz before rising again
based on estimation the halfway mark between 10khz and 20khz in should be about 12.8 khz. and only pick up to normal levels at 20khz+

just giving my 2 cents if it helps in anyway possible

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:
graphCompare.php

most headphones roll off after 10 khz until about 12-14 khz before rising again
based on estimation the halfway mark between 10khz and 20khz in should be about 12.8 khz. and only pick up to normal levels at 20khz+

just giving my 2 cents if it helps in anyway possible

Oh I know, and that's why most headphones aren't the best for this test. Normally hearing tests are done with special headphones that don't have as much of a drop, since the drop would skew the test.
Though if people with headphones with a big drop like the OP's can still hear up to pretty high levels, then there would be something to his potential hearing issues. My headphone doesn't drop much, though, so I can't compare my experience to his:

Aug 30, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:
Have you gotten them cleaned properly at any time in your life? That could be part of the problem. 13khz does seem worrying as most older people I know round off at about 16khz. 

How did you actually do the test? Doctor? Or was it a 'self test'?

Curious as to what you mean by this, is there actually a procedure that you can schedule or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back