World's first portable Hybrid Valve Headphone Amplifier (with a footprint smaller than most cellphones).
Sep 12, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #166 of 181
I have been using mine with an iPad Pro (large screen). No issues with distortion - just keep the iPad volume at ~75%.

However, even the slightest movement will cause microphonic ringing... I knew about this before I ordered, but I didn't know it was quite so sensitive. Your really have to be motionless to avoid any ringing.

Also, the company does not answer ANY emails. NONE. I asked about ordering the new DAC board. I asked about charging current. Nothing. Even for a customer. That's quite disappointing.

So does anyone know what the idea charge current is?

Thanks 

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #167 of 181
  I have been using mine with an iPad Pro (large screen). No issues with distortion - just keep the iPad volume at ~75%.

However, even the slightest movement will cause microphonic ringing... I knew about this before I ordered, but I didn't know it was quite so sensitive. Your really have to be motionless to avoid any ringing.

Also, the company does not answer ANY emails. NONE. I asked about ordering the new DAC board. I asked about charging current. Nothing. Even for a customer. That's quite disappointing.

So does anyone know what the idea charge current is?

Thanks 

I'll email Martin and point him to your post :)

Sep 13, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #168 of 181
Hi Surge74,

Sorry to hear you haven't been able to get in touch with me by email. The easiest way is via our website:  www.ims-nz.com   At the bottom of the page is where you can write your message and send to me. I check me emails though out the day. I think you may have tried to contact me at a disused email address. If you can let me know where you found this email link I will try to have this removed.

To answer your technical questions:  If you have the NiMh version the battery is charged at a constant current of around 40mA. If you have the LiPo version the charging algorithm is different- constant voltage initially and then the charge current is reduced to zero after around 4-5 hours from flat. This means if your LiPo battery is flat the maximum charge current will be around 700mA and reducing to around 300mA when half charged and then zero when fully charged. If you were to charge when the amp is say 90% charged the current would be around 80mA

If you have the DAC version this draws around 120mA plus charge current.

Please get in touch with me if you have any other questions (via the website as above).

Regards,

Martin Young

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #171 of 181
For what it's worth I own one of these and overall can recommend it heartily. It's been quite a journey though... when I first unboxed it and fired it up I was desperately underwhelmed. The sound seemed flat, the microphonics were wild, and the led light behind the valves seemed, well, a bit naff.

I contacted Martin who recommended a serious burn in, and whether this worked, or the brain burned in, or some sort of audio alchemy transpired, but this little thing got a hold of me and hasn't let go.

Its sound signature with the Fidelio X2 is wonderfully engaging: rich buttery mids, tight rumbling bass and restrained but engaging highs. Sound-stage is truly holographic and listenability is off-the-chart. I'm even putting on albums I don't like much anymore, just to hear how delicious they sound!

The HVA is undoubtedly not perfect. Microphonics have been tamed a bit (and I stuck some gaffer tape over the gain switch, which seems particularly sensitive to knocks) but they're still fairly boring, and make me wonder how this would perform in a pocket on a brisk walk - yet to try this. But it's all about the sound, right?! In which case it's hard not to love it. A lot. Apparently an updated version is in the pipeline. But if you can't wait, I'd totally recommend this first iteration, for all its quirks and foibles!

May 10, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #173 of 181
Awesome to see another portable amp using mini tubes, the lack of a Volume pot is pretty cool too actually, does seem like it would simplify operation if your using it with the headphone out of a Cell Phone.

Jan 15, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #174 of 181
Heya, I know this is a pretty old thread now but I wanted to ask something without making a whole new one- I have this (the Hybrid) amp, and a Schitt Fulla 2, and an iMac 2017- Is there a benefit to somehow linking them all together? It says on the website I can use the Hybrid amp by itself with my mac, but its VERY quite when I do that. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jan 16, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #175 of 181
Check the output volume on the Mac - it may be turned down low. What headphones are you driving?

Jan 16, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #176 of 181
Thanks for your reply. I should maybe say I’m not an idiot :wink: the Mac volume was of course at full :)
The headphones at AKG Q701, 62Ohms impedance. I have the version of the amp with the DAC built in, and even have the gain switch on.

But my question was more- could my equipment be used together to achieve good sound? How should I do it? Or is the iMac sound card going to be as good as this stuff?

Jan 16, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #177 of 181
I think the issue is that the AKGs need current rather than voltage, so the HVA may not be the ideal amplifier for those particular headphones. There’s no reason why you can’t use another amp in a pre-amp role - it will amplify any noise as well as the signal though. Best bet is to try it and see what happens.

Jan 16, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #178 of 181
I think the issue is that the AKGs need current rather than voltage, so the HVA may not be the ideal amplifier for those particular headphones. There’s no reason why you can’t use another amp in a pre-amp role - it will amplify any noise as well as the signal though. Best bet is to try it and see what happens.

Would the HVA likely sound better than the iMac 3.5 output? If I boosted the audio with the fulla as a preamp before it got to the HVA maybe?

Jan 16, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #179 of 181
For what it’s worth, before finally sending the amp back because of the incessant microphonics, I did try double amping it, using what I had knocking around, a C&C BH2. I was expecting it to sound awful but it actually finally gave the HVA the slam it had been lacking, whilst keeping the lovely tubey warmth. Purely subjectively it didn’t seem to add a huge amount of noise either. It put a big grin on my face and made me wonder what might have been if Martin had managed to resolve the power/distortion issues that made the HVA sadly underpowered. In the end as I wanted something truly portable I went for a Headstage Arrow instead, which I love. Still kind of miss the HVA though, for all its infuriating foibles

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #180 of 181
Would the HVA likely sound better than the iMac 3.5 output? If I boosted the audio with the fulla as a preamp before it got to the HVA maybe?
That would depend on the components in the Mac. Why not try both and report back with your thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back