World queietst room
Jul 22, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #16 of 18
I've been working on a loudspeaker listening room in my home for a few years. The room is all paneled in knotty pine, and I'm not about to muck that up with ugly fabric covered monstrosities. The ambience of the room is as important to me as the sound. So I had to figure out workarounds. I arrived at the current setup by trial and error, and I don't know if what I did was technically correct, but it works.

My main interest was in blocking first level reflections. The roof is peaked and quite high, so that didn't pose a problem for me. I focused on the front and back walls, the floor and the side walls at the bounce point to my listening position. I put bookcases full of loosely arranged books behind the speakers and behind my listening position. They seem to absorb sound pretty well. A rug on the floor between me and the speakers handled the bounce off the slab floor. On either side, I put large couches to block the reflections off the sides. I didn't worry about anything beyond that and it seems to work. No echo from a handclap at the speaker position.

I have two sets of mains up front to create a wide enough soundstage to cover my ten foot projection system. I set one full range set wider apart and closer to me, and the other midrange centric set closer together and further from me to anchor dialogue to the screen and fill in the middle. The middle channel is set higher than the others to raise the sound field a bit in the back, again focusing dialogue on the screen. It creates a sort of triangulation that sounds very much like what a symphony orchestra sounds like from the first balcony. The sub is off a bit to one side pointed towards the center of the room. I'm not happy with the position and size of the rears yet. Still working on that.

I should post some photos sometime to show you what it looks like.

Jul 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #17 of 18
I like playing recordings of anehoic rooms to bring some peace and quiet to my hectic urban surroundings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back