World of Headphones Tour: Last But Hopefully Not Least!
Jul 20, 2002 at 6:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
I just got back from the WOHT: Seattle Stop... I took quite a few pics (including some hi-res ones of the "innards" display) which I'll post soon [after I get some sleep], and had lots of fun. Todd and Todd were the classic "father-son headphone-exhibiting duo" (is there such a thing?), and I enjoyed (of course) listening to the high-end case (and satisfying myself that the Holmes-Powell DC2 really does sound worse than it looks, which says a LOT). Todd told the obligatory Triple Orpheus Owner story (there's a mysterious guy that owns 3 Orpheii: One for the bedside, one for the listening room, and one to keep the symmetry of the listening room) and explained how nervous the entire HeadRoom staff was when they launched the BlockHead. Also, I got to see/smell/touch the butt-ugly but fantastic Meridian and the cool-looking but harsh and bright BAT (both bats and the BAT like making treble, but aren't much in the bass department).

Pictures to come!

Jul 20, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #2 of 32
how big was the turn out? i would have loved to go, but its ok...i already know what i want next...
very_evil_smiley.gif
...very small purchases...

hope to see the pics soon!

Jul 20, 2002 at 7:27 AM Post #4 of 32
Understated is an understatement
biggrin.gif

But it looks like it's a midrange 80's "look at me, I'm DIGITAL!!!" VCR or something.

Just my humble opinion
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2002 at 10:25 AM Post #6 of 32
The BAT was NOT "bright" in Orlando. If anything it was absofreakinlutely AWESOME.

Especially from the Blockhead/Cards/HD600. Great from the Big O and Stax also. Meridian also great and definitely NOT ugly. A little plain perhaps, maybe even homely, but UGLY belonged to the K1000.

K1000 also tied for worst of show with the "Ergo" which also tied the K1000 for UGLY

Jul 20, 2002 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso The BAT was NOT "bright" in Orlando.

So are you implying that the BAT would be "warm" in Mexico and "cold" in Alaska?
confused.gif

I didn't care for the looks of the Meridian either, I hate glossy ****.

Jul 21, 2002 at 6:54 AM Post #10 of 32
Sorry, I just haven't gotten around to it. I spent the first half of the day getting a haircut, then running around to two different RadioShwacks to find battery clips, then grocery shopping, then troubleshooting an amp I'm working (stupid noise and funkily wired DIN plugs!), then checking email, then swimming, then eating dinner, then typing this post up...

Jul 21, 2002 at 10:35 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio&Me

So are you implying that the BAT would be "warm" in Mexico and "cold" in Alaska?
confused.gif

Naw, just so right in Rat Burg. Don't particularly G.A.S. what it sounds or looks like or what temperature it may be in Mexico or Alaska, primarily 'cause I don't intend to ever be a whole lot closer to either place than I am now.

Just so it sounds so frellin' AWESOME in the sunshine state. Even looked sorta cool, 'cause it's so freakin' HUGE.

Course, none of that matters, 'cause, unless I get the right 6 numbers, I'll never hear it again unless Tyll brings it back to FL again, hopefully to the River City this time.

Jul 21, 2002 at 2:58 PM Post #12 of 32
Well that was easy. I came here to post a "yo, whoever the dude was who brought a digicam to the Seattle event, hook me up" thread, but apparently that won't be necessary
smily_headphones1.gif

I spent a quality 4 hours listening to everything imagineable -- ok, not everything, was mostly shopping for potential upgrades to my setup (see profile) -- so ask me questions! Too many opinions gained in one evening to possibly recount in one exposition.

Jul 21, 2002 at 6:23 PM Post #13 of 32
Photos are now downloading from the Nikon. 47 photos (most of which will probably be blurry, but oh well) at ~1meg each will take awhile over USB...

Jul 21, 2002 at 6:30 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Understated is an understatement
biggrin.gif

But it looks like it's a midrange 80's "look at me, I'm DIGITAL!!!" VCR or something.

Just my humble opinion
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

the first thing I remember him saying about it was that it was really ugly...

the tour was pretty good, but I came out disapointed, and with a new respect for my hd280 pros. maybe I had too high of expectations... but anyway, I will post a few pics as well. I didnt really pay too much attention to all of the home setups, because the majority of my listening is portable. maybe I was disapointed in that they didnt have the 770 pros, and the 250-80s were broken... well, anyway, I listened to the er6, the main phone that i wanted to listen to.. i was disapointed... the treble rolled off horribly, and the bass was very loose, without defiinition. the high-mid/low-treble was overly sibilant as well. i had a good seal, so dont go there. although the er4 was a differnet story... there was no resounding "plonk." maybe because they were about what I expected. I did like their sound, however, and now I want a pair more then ever. I thought that they would be a bit more comfortable, however... I feel like I have tweezers sticking out of my ears with them
eek.gif
.. I geuess it just takes some getting used to.. but anyway, the only grados that i liked were the rs-1 (the 325s were broken). the akgs were pretty nice, the 401 seemed like a good value for $100, smooth mids, but ugly bass, and a bit uneven treble.. the 501 were better, but had no bass at all, but that is understandable, because one could just use a subwooofer to compensate (they are home setup after all). the treble seemed to lack sparkle, maybe a bit recessed. the k1000... oh boy, that was a nice can, excepting the bass, but again, subwoofer option. the senn. 212 pros seemed pretty bad, considering headroom considered them a great deal.. horribly boomy bass, and muddy mids, with uneven highs... more like v300 sonys. the 497s were pretty smooth, about what I expected.. but anyway, about the grados, they lacked even decent bass, just a one-note 100hz thump, and the treble was horribly screetchy and jumpy. ughh, i hated them, all but the rs-1, which was alright, but seemed way overpriced and uncomfortable. the mids were pretty smooth, but the rest ruined them. the cd3000 sony were pretty nice, but with the signature sony shrillness/honkyness. the cd2000 were soooooooooooo comfortable, but.... you know.... anyway, the high end rack was listened to very little, since I am not into spending that much money, let alone having a home setup in the near future. my goal was to listen to the 770 pro and 250-80, but no 770, and broken 250
frown.gif
. ahh well, the 831 I did not like, although my bro did and is getting a pair. it had no bass articulation, and did not block out ANY signifigant sound for being closed. if you get a closed phone, its to block out sound, i say. anyway, the 931 was even worse, shrilll, meh. the 600s: good comfort, good soundstage, but a tad muddy/boomy, and lacked any bass definition. todd, todd's son, was listening to them through his pop's setup, and i remember having him try my hd280s in a bass war
smily_headphones1.gif
.... anyway, i wont really go into the amps, because I am already rambling.. and now all you grado-lovers probably dont like me. what I want now is the ety er4p with adaptor and my AH, which will hopefully arrive tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif
. eventually, after that, when i have the money, i want a cosmic to go with it
smily_headphones1.gif
. my hd280s have earned a new respect in my eyes. I liked them better then a lot of the cans, even some that were much more expensive, they just seemed more accurate. maybe I have grown too accustomed to their sound, maybe i have strange ears, maybe it was too noisy of an environment, who knows. i think that headphones, unless you intend to have a subwoofer with them, have to have good bass, because this is the base of music, the foundation. many of the headphones lacked bass definition that the er4 and my 280s had. i really want to hear the beyer 770 pro, from what people have recommended. I want accuracy, and it seemed like many of the phones were waayy innacurate. I really liked the er4 tho. i want to hear the w100 though. and i really want thos etys.... too bad I cant afford them now.. maybe a Christmas present....
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back