World music and Jazz Fusion melange
Dec 29, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #346 of 777
To some here he probably needs no introduction, a Nigerian who invented a new genre in the 60s and played well into the 90s a mixture of west African highlife, funk and jazz into deep hypnotic, somewhat psychedelic, funky and jazz tinged . an all time hero of mine. Please beware this song last about 13 minutes, many of of his tune last much longer

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #349 of 777
A little something to satisfy your Japanese Jazz Rock sensibilities...

Tadao Sawai, Kazue Sawai, Takeshi Inomata, Norio Maeda, Hozan Yamamoto - Jazz Rock 琴 / 日本の民謡 (1973)

Samples songs from album

A1 黒田節 (A1 Kuroda Bushi)

B2 北海盆唄 (B2 Beihai Basin)

Jazz Rock 琴 / 日本の民謡 (1973) playlist:

Dec 31, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #350 of 777
A little something to satisfy your Japanese Jazz Rock sensibilities...

Tadao Sawai, Kazue Sawai, Takeshi Inomata, Norio Maeda, Hozan Yamamoto - Jazz Rock 琴 / 日本の民謡 (1973)
Nice tunes, but I'd say that there's more folk in those arrangements than rock.

Dec 31, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #351 of 777
Nice tunes, but I'd say that there's more folk in those arrangements than rock.
True, but I can only go by the album cover. Can you imagine back in 1973 when this album was released how progressive this sort of genre fusion was for the performing artists and Japanese people who bought this album? From that perspective I think I can understand why they named it "Jazz Rock". I think for true Japanese Rock Jazz fusion, you would need Wagakki Band known for their rock music combined with traditional Japanese instruments to do a total rock jazz fusion thing, which would be cool. Maybe they have already, but I haven't found it in any of their music. To me they're really a slamming rock band that uses traditional Japanese instruments to embellish their slamming rock vibe.

Dec 31, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #353 of 777
Okay, found a Wagakki Band song that has rock, jazz and big band vibes.

Wagakki Band / 「Synchronicity」MUSIC VIDEO(Short Ver.)
I have a somewhat love-hate relationship with this band. Some of their songs are great, but damn I can't look at them, which is a pity, because their music videos have insane production value. In any case, I find Japanese music of the 70s and 80s much more relatable.

Jan 1, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #355 of 777

Jan 2, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #358 of 777

Users who are viewing this thread

Back