World First! Massdrop x HiFIMAN Collaboration Announcement
Apr 26, 2016 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 629

CEE TEE

Member of the Trade: NITSCH
Hello Head-Fi,

I want all of you to think back to your first time hearing quality headphones.

Think back to that moment, when you first realized what you were missing, when you first realized how good your music could sound. What gear did you try that opened your eyes? For me it was the Alessandro MS-1, for some of my friends it was the ATH-M50, and for many others it was the HD555/599/598.

These products play a critical role in the enthusiast lifecycle, they get people in the door. They show what’s possible, even at the entry level. Up until this point, we haven’t had a headphone collaboration at the truly accessible $99 price point.

Today, we’re redefining price-to-performance expectations at the entry level with the release of two new Massdrop Custom Products in collaboration with HiFiMAN, the HE-350 ($99.99 shipped) and RE-00 ($34.99 shipped).

HE-350

The HE-350 ($99.99) is an open-back dynamic headphone. We started with the HE-300, replaced the driver, updated the frame to HiFiMAN’s newest revision, and updated the removable cables to use HiFiMAN’s latest 2.5mm termination (at the earcups, cable ends in a 3.5mm).

Understanding this will be a first headphone for many, we (and our participating community members) decided to focus on neutrality and detail. No huge bass, no massive peaks or valleys, ~12dB delta between highest and lowest point from 20Hz to 15,000Hz. Take a look at the frequency response graph on our drop page (courtesy of Head-Fi). This is a new driver developed by HiFiMAN with a mandate from Massdrop to “redefine the price-to-performance standard”. At $99.99 we’ve raised the bar.

Checkout the drop page here: http://dro.ps/he-350-2

RE-00

The RE-00 ($34.99) is a universal IEM based on the RE0. We developed this with the same goal as the HE-350: create a neutral and detailed universal IEM to get as many people in the door as possible. The RE0 sound signature required minimal adjustment (slight change to bass impact, otherwise nothing huge), so most of our efforts were focused on improving durability.

Where the original RE0 had a cable that many found prone to breaking at either end (termination or at the ear pieces), the RE-00 uses new reinforced materials meant to handle years of use.

Checkout the drop page here: http://dro.ps/re-00-2

Launch Details

Both products launch Tomorrow (Wednesday April 27th) at 9am EST/ 6am PST.

Quantities are initially limited to 5000 pcs of each. Given the price point, I encourage you to get in early if you’re interested. Audiophiles represent 1/5th of Massdrop users. At this price, the other 4/5ths will be trying to join as well (our cross-sell rates jump meaningfully in the lower price tiers, ~40% of K7XX buyers are non-audiophiles, we’re anticipating much higher rates at $99.99).

When will they ship? First week of August is our target ship date.

Okay, that’s all the important info! Set your alarms and prepare your wallets, it’s going to be a wild morning.

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 629
This looks great! I may jump on these immediately.

I'm really hoping that this drop will lead to potential collaborations on the planar magnetic HiFIMANs as well!

Anyone who had the HE-300s give a guess how these might hold up to say the Fidelio X2s?

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 629
will these stay massdrop exclusive, and only be available in sporadic drops or will this eventually be available through a more reliable distribution channel?

Edit* It is hard to tell since I'm not familiar with the rig this was measured on but overall the frequency response looks good, That 5khz peak is somewhat worrying but not deal breaking, there are a few flatter headphones in this price category but none of them are open. This will be a great first open can for a lot of people. The bass extension is especially impressive for an open can at this price point. Care to give some subjective impressions?

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 629
That's weird. I just got an e-mail notification from Massdrop and there's a thread here

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 629
  will these stay massdrop exclusive, and only be available in sporadic drops or will this eventually be available through a more reliable distribution channel?

From what I've seen of previous collaborations, these tend to be Massdrop exclusive, as with the Fostex TH-X00s, CEntrance DACport slim, and the AKG K7XX. I'd guess the same goes for this too. 

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #6 of 629
Just got the e-mail notification and came check for a thread immediately. I personally have no "need" for these but at the same time I don't think I can hold myself back from ordering the HE-350s just to see what Hifiman and Massdrop can make do with less than $100.

Thank you for your work as a part of Massdrop already Cee Tee, I foresee a bright future ahead.

PS: Gief some sort of Massdrop European branch, darned be these 25% added taxes!

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 629

Yup, these are a Massdrop Collaboration and will remain exclusive to our platform. We're working on a launch schedule for our collaborations so everyone has a better idea of when what products will be available. 

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #10 of 629
  the akg k553 was introduced on massdrop and is widely available now so it isn't out of the question

Yup, these are a Massdrop Collaboration and will remain exclusive to our platform. We're working on a launch schedule for our collaborations so everyone has a better idea of when what products will be available. 

Well I guess WillBright just answered our curiosities!

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #13 of 629
Back in the day I really enjoyed my RE-0's.  That looks like a good deal for the price.  I also very much enjoyed two sets of RE-400s; unfortunately both died relatively quickly from the same ill, the left channels ceased functioning.

HiFiMAN is great at tuning, it's too bad their quality control is so poor.

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 629
In for the iem. Going to recommend the he350 to some beginner audiophile friends.

Seeing the hifiman collaboration, this just makes me want a revised he400 more than ever.

Apr 26, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #15 of 629
I'm curious to hear Hifiman's house sound, if you will, and the reputation precedes them.

Anyone have a guess how they'd compare to the HE300? These are dynamic, not expecting to get planar for this price, but still worth an ask. The more "fun" sound coming from other Hifiman headphones (as opposed to my favorites, AKG) makes me intrigued. The warmer bass wouldn't be amiss....

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back