World class headphone system
May 6, 2002 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Nik

Headphoneus Supremus
The best headphone system?

Please tell me your opinion about these system cans, I would like to establish the world class…

AKG K1000 system
Audio Technica ATH-W2002 system
Grado RS-1system
Senneiser Orpheus system
Stax Omega system

Grado RS-1 / Holmes Powell DCT-2
Sony MDR R-10 / EAR HP-4

confused.gif

May 6, 2002 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 49
After a certain point, "The Best" becomes a matter of opinion. Each one of those systems sounds completely different from all of the rest, and many people would have differing opinions on them. Also, there are many combinations that would be considered world class missing from your list. I'd like a Headroom Blockhead with a pair of balanced Grado HP-1s myself though.

May 6, 2002 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 49
I have a Headroom The Max with Grado RS-1, but I don't like this amplifier..., for example the RS-1 is mutch better with his own amplifier the litte battery powered Grado. I think that the RS-1is mutch better than the old HP-1.
In my list, I think, there are the best possibility for listening with cans... (sorry for my english, but I'm italian...)

May 6, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 49
At this level of performance, I think much is about personal preferences and system synergy. For Headroom amps most seem to prefer the HD600 rather than the Grado. How it sounds is also dependent on source, IC and even the headphone cable. And finally, the listeners preferences on music and sound. This means that the listening experience is determined by so many factors that it is probably impossible to rank the top headphones in a way that is consistent even over system combinations.

May 6, 2002 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 49
Well, right now I have a fully balanced 24/96 Sonic Frontiers DAC (SFD-MKIII) running into the Stax 007t, and to the Stax 007mkII Omegas....

I want to upgrade, but I don't know how. Right now, in my office, I am listening to a new Sony portable CD player->Toslink digital out->Assemblage 2.6 processor->Headroom Home->HD600.

Yes, I am a headphone nut. I also have a regular stereo that I use for background noise
wink.gif

Bragging,
Adam

May 7, 2002 at 2:50 AM Post #8 of 49
Not sure you can upgrade. You can get different sounds, but those Stax are top-of-the-line.

Maybe the Orpheus. Maybe.

May 7, 2002 at 3:42 AM Post #9 of 49
Seriously...I'd have to say that my little KSC-35's give world class sound (when combined with a D-25s)

May 7, 2002 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
W11R and $5 sound card

That's the best ever, nothing beats that... NOTHING!!!!!!!

Hehe .. except W100 with on-board sound!
rolleyes.gif

May 7, 2002 at 8:57 AM Post #12 of 49
The best headphone system is the one that most satisfies you. (edit) The best headphone system is the one you got on your head. The road to the best is unfortunately a long journey.
just my thoughts
md

May 7, 2002 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 49
C'mon, Nik,
Spill the beans and tell the group about your new toys.
evil_smiley.gif

We know English is your second language, but we'd like to hear as much as possible about your new system!

Don't make me have to "out" you!
very_evil_smiley.gif

markl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back