Workplace Earphones w/ Fast, Neutral Sound?
Dec 13, 2014 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

suburbanite

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for earphones to use at work.

Would like these characteristics:

1. SOUND SIGNATURE
    1. "quick" sound- fast attack & decay
    2. neutral or close-to-neutral sound
  2. ISOLATION
    1. [size=13.3333330154419px]low isolation- I want to be able to hear others talking to me[/size]
  3. CABLE
    1. Low microphony
    2. 4' cable
  4. EAR ELEMENTS
    1. Ear elements as small, light as possible
    2. quick ingress/egress of ear elements for when someone approaches me and wants to talk

Of course I don't expect to get everything I want, but looking for something close.

I appreciate suggestions.

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 13, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 18
Whenever someone posts that they want low isolation so that they can hear others talking to them, the first question I ask is whether you also understand that means the other people may hear your music because if you let sound in, that also means sound leaks out. Will that bother them?

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 18
Whenever someone posts that they want low isolation so that they can hear others talking to them, the first question I ask is whether you also understand that means the other people may hear your music because if you let sound in, that also means sound leaks out. Will that bother them?

I know what 'isolation' is.

I work in a semi-isolation in a somewhat noisy environment and am not concerned with disturbing others.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1043330169/realloud-technology-that-saves-your-hearing-and-yo

I saw that, am waiting for them to come out, get reviewed, etc.

I hope they're wrong about all use IEM people damaging our hearing.

Until the Adele's come out, I'm looking for something that's currently available.

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 18
I know what 'isolation' is.

I work in a semi-isolation in a somewhat noisy environment and am not concerned with disturbing others.

I saw that, am waiting for them to come out, get reviewed, etc.

I hope they're wrong about all use IEM people damaging our hearing.

Until the Adele's come out, I'm looking for something that's currently available.

There's a review of the A12 out if you're interested. Once the kickstarter is over and it goes on retail it will be back to full price

"opening the module has the effect of reducing overall bass quantity but boosting bass quality, bringing the midrange more forward (which also leads to an increase in perceived loudness), and increasing treble crispness a bit"
http://theheadphonelist.com/brief-review-1964ears-1964-adel-a12/

Dec 13, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 18
I'm gonna leave them sitting unattended on my desk at times, so cheaper is better than more expensive.

Lets cap it at $75.

The Hifiman RE-400 ticks just about every box. They're not the most durable headphones though, so beware. If you're willing to spend a little more, the Audio-Technica ATH-IM70 is a great bet. It's much more durable, but slightly warmer. Additionally, the earpieces are a bit bulky, but they're still very light.

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #13 of 18
Gonna try the re-400s.

Agreed that they do most/all criteria.

Would like tho consider this question open, though.

Sure that there is no end-all be-all "work place earphone."

Will probably find myself revisiting this issue soon enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back