Working Out With Your Computer?
Feb 28, 2006 at 9:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

blip

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a confession to make... I've joined the realm of the uber-geek... I've started riding a stationary bicycle while surfing on the net! I'm even playing video games from the saddle!

Anyone else?

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 12
I'll post a pic later... but my setup is pretty, for lack of a better term, ghetto. Basically I put a small rubber feet on the back of my keyboard which allows it to rest on my handle bars. I then shoved a book into the space between the bar and the data display/central column. I set my trackball on this. My monitor (an LCD) is elevated and tilted upwards.

The system works but isn't perfect. The trackball is too far away from my body. The keyboard isn't in a natural typing position and thus is useless for anything much longer than a forum post. If I keep on doing this I'll have to design something better... I'm thinking about something like a very high TV-tray that I could slide over my knees after I sit down.

Well that's my setup... Share yours... ye cyber-cyclers of head-fi!

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip
I have a confession to make... I've joined the realm of the uber-geek... I've started riding a stationary bicycle while surfing on the net! I'm even playing video games from the saddle!

Anyone else?

Sounds cool to me. Please post pics. All I've done is watch movies on my
PC while walking on the treadmill.

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #7 of 12
I have a high enough countertop for my computer I can get away with sticking the bike somewhat under it. It's a little reach to the keyboard, but enough to keep up with an msn conversation, and the optical cordless mouse I can just run on my leg.

Mar 1, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon.
and the optical cordless mouse I can just run on my leg.

??? How can you use the optical mouse on your leg if you are peddling a bike?
confused.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #9 of 12
I guess I must be an Uber Geek too (and one who apparently needs to spend more time exercising)...I've set it up so that I can surf the net while I'm on the treadmill!!

I won a used PC in a used computer lottery that my employer has 4-5 times a year, and thought I might put it to use this way. There is a desk in front of my treadmill that keeps the monitor at a reasonable height, and I've got a trackball mouse and smallish keyboard attached with velcro to my treadmill.

It actually works pretty well for surfing most of the time, though I haven't quite figured out how to type yet without stopping for a minute. I've actually been looking into voice recognition software to make this work better.

Yeah...I know...get a life!!
biggrin.gif

It actually does the job getting me up on the treadmill more often, which is nothing but good IMHO. However, my wife is not too crazy about my request for a large LCD monitor...you see, a 17" monitor is not ideal for this setup.

But honey, it's exercise gear!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein
??? How can you use the optical mouse on your leg if you are peddling a bike?
confused.gif

Very carefully.
wink.gif

I should have said my leg for the easy stuff, I just run it across my chest or something that's not moving much for the finer control. Optical is great.
It's a logitech mediaplay mouse anyway, so I just hold it like a remote for my music.

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:18 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon.
Very carefully.
wink.gif

I should have said my leg for the easy stuff, I just run it across my chest or something that's not moving much for the finer control. Optical is great.
It's a logitech mediaplay mouse anyway, so I just hold it like a remote for my music.

HAHAHAHA, that's the most ghetto thing I've ever read in my life..
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back