Work desk system challenge!!
Nov 1, 2008 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kinsale

100+ Head-Fier
Not sure if this is the place to ask this so please move if necessary.

I have an 8gb iphone, px100 phones and $300. I want the best sounding system for my desk at work. Have to use headphones.
So what is your ideal system given my budget and accessories.

Nov 2, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinsale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if this is the place to ask this so please move if necessary.

I have an 8gb iphone, px100 phones and $300. I want the best sounding system for my desk at work. Have to use headphones.
So what is your ideal system given my budget and accessories.

Firstly, I don't know if those px100's will really get much benefit from $300 of extra sound gear, as I hear the iPhone isn't too bad a source on its own.

I suppose the main questions you have to answer are:
. Am I happy with the sound quality of the iPhone? - If not, you can think about getting a Line-out dock for it and an amp. Alternatively you could change your source to a USB DAC.
. Will I be happy with 8gb of music? - If not, you'll want to think about the USB DAC option, assuming you are sitting in front of a computer. Alternatively, a larger iPod.
. Do I want to upgrade my headphones? Will new headphones require an amp or not?
. Do I really need this setup to be portable? - If not, you can get better bang for buck amp-wise on a bigger unit.

Figuring out answers to all these Q's now will probably save you some money in the long run
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 9
Are you sure you want to stay with the PX100? If you sold it and negotiated a little, you could probably grab the $350 Grado RS-2 on Audiogon right now. Or you could go with a Alessandro MS-2i, or maybe a SR-225 or SR-325i. I run a RS-1 out of my iPhone here and there and it sounds great.

I've read that Audio-Technica cans do well unamped, as well, but I'm not very familiar with them.

Personally, I'd upgrade my headphones before buying anything else.

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 9
I agree w/Uncle Erik. Get a new set of headphones, all else is a wasted expense.

Nov 3, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #8 of 9
Guys,

Sorry for not being clearer. I only mentioned the PX100 so you would know what my system was currently.
I have the iphone and $300. I know I need new headphones.
So do I go for an amp and phones or just phones?
The office is not really loud. It would be nice to have complete isolation sometimes.
I'm not fond of sticking things in my ears.
Phones need to be comfortable for hours at a time.

Thanks all!

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #9 of 9
Others suggested the Yuin's when I was looking at IEMS versus non IEMS. Its a nice balance between having something discrete and sound quality. But I still think the UM2's and Se530's are probably the most comfortable IEM's you can get, and its not like you really stick something in you're ear (unless you use the tri-flanges). I would still recommend those, they usually fit the bill for what you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back