work audio: pcdp vs dac for CD3000
Apr 20, 2004 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

commando

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, I admit it, I have upgraditis
wink.gif

Right now I have the following setup

PC (flac) -> Sonica (black gate mod) -> Custom Interconnect -> Pimeta (MisterX) -> CD3000 (AKG 271 for closed)

My alternate source is a cheap sony PCDP running into the Pimeta through it's line out.

I'm feeling that the CD3Ks are being let down by the rest of the system, especially in the bass area, so i'm wondering if an upgrade will make much difference. Do people think a source upgrade would help much?

My choices for source upgrade would be a PCDP (I can't have a full sized player at work, it'd look stupid) or a DAC vi the Soncas' bit-perfect optical SP-DIF output. Which would be best? My preference is for DAC, as I have a lot of music on FLAC, but I have the CDs too of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Apr 20, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #2 of 5
DAC. Something like a modded ART DIO. Then you shall have no bass complaints.

Trust me, a portable CD player will never do those cans justice, and in all probability, will probably sound worse than what you have now.

I am surprised you are worried about a full size CDP looking stupid when you have those huge cans on your head
tongue.gif

Apr 20, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 5
The ART only costs $160, so that's a cheap enough option too
smily_headphones1.gif
It's likely to sound a bit better and have more bass than the sonica then?

Is there anyone around who would do the mods, including sourcing and fitting the parts? My first and last attempt resulted in me having to send my Sonica to MisterX to have him fix my mistakes!
rolleyes.gif

Apr 20, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 5
I know this won't do you much good, but I haven't found a dedicated headphone amplifier that beats the amplified output of my D-321. Unfortunately this player is so old and worn out, it barely works, but when it does, it gives me the smoothest most engaging sound I've ever heard from any system regardless of price. I know a number of other people on this forum also feel similarly about the D-321. They just don't make 'em like they used to...

Apr 20, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 5
Personally, I think you should go with a DAC simply because of the bidding wars you'd have to engage in if you want to get a nice PCDP. I'm going from the $$$-concious POV. That's unless you could snag a really sweet deal with a PCDP. But a DAC probably has the potential to sound better and would be a less pain to get. Maybe even cheaper initially and with the potential for upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back