Words,phrases and references that get bounced on net filters
Apr 3, 2004 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tuberoller

Divorced an Orpheus to keep his wife.
We have to keep this clean guys.

I was checking some of the net filters I gotta navigate at the Fire Department and the AOL children's pages and I tried punching in some words and found a huge number of words and fairly common phrases will cause a site to be blocked. Head-fi passes most of the time but a simple word like "Ga*" causes the filter to issue a warning where words like "pimp" do not. Anybody else have any experience with this?

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 7
So pimp is ok but ghey is not? Can someone write ghey instead? Also why is pimp, which is a million times worst than ghey not blocked? Why is ghey blocked at all?

confused.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 7
ga*?

no idea what that would be. first thing that came to mind was the street colloquialism for firearm.

edit: what?!?
confused.gif
ok, that's messed up.

Apr 3, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #5 of 7
I'm on a classical music forum where the name "Franck" (a famous composer) gets starred out!
rolleyes.gif

Apr 3, 2004 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 7
The answer to this, of course, is to get the world to stop using censorware
very_evil_smiley.gif

Anyway, speaking for meself, I don't swear on the boards. Question, though; is 'piss' or 'pissed' filtered? I remember Carlin doing a piece recently about how you can say it in a certain context on TV now. You can say 'Why are you pissed?', but not 'Because you pissed on me'. Quirky stuff.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 3, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by Stephonovich
The answer to this, of course, is to get the world to stop using censorware
very_evil_smiley.gif

Anyway, speaking for meself, I don't swear on the boards. Question, though; is 'piss' or 'pissed' filtered? I remember Carlin doing a piece recently about how you can say it in a certain context on TV now. You can say 'Why are you pissed?', but not 'Because you pissed on me'. Quirky stuff.

(-:Stephonovich:)

The rules on that are pretty odd, and from what I understand, the distinction is that figurative use is ok, but the literal (bodily) uses are not. So you can say "A million dollars? Holy crap!" but you can't say "I really gotta take a crap" or "Look out for the dog crap!". Same with kick your ass, don't be an ass, jackass, make an ass of yourself, and many more. I'm not 100% sure but I think it would be ok to declare on TV that somebody kicked your ass, and not ok for you to then declare that your ass hurts. Very strange. Same deal with all your 4 letter words - figures of speech are ok, graphic or anatomical usage is not. Before the recent FCC crackdown, a local radio DJ was talking about this subject and said he could PROBABLY get away with calling somebody an f-ing idiot, but that any use which could be construed to have implications of the sex act was unacceptable, so he'd just as soon not chance it. Occasionally, you'll see somebody on broadcast TV giving the finger. Apparently this is ok because it's just implied nonverbal meaning, even though that meaning would not be acceptable if spoken. In other words, we take no responsibility for meanings you assign to this gesture
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back