Word of caution - custom iem - ear impressions
Nov 24, 2011 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MuZo2

Headphoneus Supremus
          I decided to do custom iem and then ordered an ear impression kit from a US IEM manufacturer. Received it after a week. 
The kit contained material to create 3 pieces of ear impressions, a syringe and bite block. The material consists of two piece which are to be mixed and then the curing process starts. I was bit scared to put some strange material in ears and decided to make test with 1 of them as it was spare before making an appointment with audiologist.Followed the procedure that was mentioned online as demonstrated in their online video. Mixed the two materials together for about 30 seconds.
           The document mentioned 4 minutes of curing time. I checked after 4 minutes still soft. Waited 10 mins still same as original.
Even after an hour the material was still like soft dough and did not cure or become hard. I can't imagine what would have happened if the material was in my ears. I dont think I would be making any impressions any time soon.
        For anyone who is very desperate to get customs. I would strongly advise to go to professional audiologist , use only material that is [size=small]Clinical[/size]  approved.
        Just thought would share the experience so someone wont run into problem and get this material stuck in his ears.
I have written to the company, but haven't heard back yet.
        Sorry, if I posted in wrong section.

Nov 24, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
          I decided to do custom iem and then ordered an ear impression kit from a US IEM manufacturer. Received it after a week. 
The kit contained material to create 3 pieces of ear impressions, a syringe and bite block. The material consists of two piece which are to be mixed and then the curing process starts. I was bit scared to put some strange material in ears and decided to make test with 1 of them as it was spare before making an appointment with audiologist.Followed the procedure that was mentioned online as demonstrated in their online video. Mixed the two materials together for about 30 seconds.
           The document mentioned 4 minutes of curing time. I checked after 4 minutes still soft. Waited 10 mins still same as original.
Even after an hour the material was still like soft dough and did not cure or become hard. I can't imagine what would have happened if the material was in my ears. I dont think I would be making any impressions any time soon.
        For anyone who is very desperate to get customs. I would strongly advise to go to professional audiologist , use only material that is [size=small]Clinical[/size]  approved.
        Just thought would share the experience so someone wont run into problem and get this material stuck in his ears.
I have written to the company, but haven't heard back yet.
        Sorry, if I posted in wrong section.

Geez...good thing that you tested the material mixes first, thank you for letting us know mate, and glad nothing happened to you

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 9
Good thing you didn't inject that in you ear, but if you put the oto-dam in correctly, you should have been able to remove the material by pulling out the dam by the string. It did come with cotton or foam dams, right?  What company sent you the material and can you post pictures so we can all see?  Many people on here, myself included, have used impression kits from Kozee without incident and without seeing the material.   

Here is the Kozee impression kit. 

Here is an example of a kit found online and some different material:

I do think it is a good idea to go to a professional audiologist for impressions, or at least to have your ears checked before self impressions are made.  

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 9
I've used both the Kozee and the Alien Ears self impression kits without testing them first and both got to a firm consistency, not hard, but more foam/rubbery texture, easily pulling them out witht he oto-block. Could you specify which brand of impression kit you used?

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks all for the concerns. Sorry can,t share the picture the material is already in bin, dint want my kid to mess with it. Not sure if I want to name the company here. Though I had no reply for the mail or message I left on their site.I just wanted to know the reasons, may be it needs certain room temperature to cure and it getting bit colder here in Europe.I dont think any other reason as I did mix it well for 30 sec. The material I got was like the second picture from Joe.

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 9
Are those silicone based materials?  I know some people have gotten good results from doing it themselves.

Nov 26, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...Many people on here, myself included, have used impression kits from Kozee without incident and without seeing the material.   

wow.. so do you do your impressions yourself?  I was wondering since you get so many customs

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #8 of 9
Yeah, this is exactly why I'm scared as hell to do my own impressions. Thankfully, a JHA certified audiologist nearby does it for $15 per ear.

Unfortunately.. I think I messed up by moving too much during the impressions -.-;;

Users who are viewing this thread

Back