word of advice for people thinking of getting etys or sending them back
Jun 6, 2002 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lucien

100+ Head-Fier
this is very simple, but i thought it worth a message.

it struck me to day that i've had my etys for about 6 months now, and i have no idea when the change happened.

they went from being intolerable in my ears to being okay. that happened in weeks or a couple of months. then more recently, i find then comfy, and i can happily go to sleep with them in.

so a public service announcement to all:

if you think they're too uncomfortable, and you'll never get used to them, reconsider. they sound unbelievable, and i now find them just as comfy as the hd600 (yes, really -- the hd600 makes the sides of my head itchy sometimes).

i value my er4ps quite a bit more than the hd600 nowadays. i'm not saying they're better, but the value is great when you can cart them around easily and drive them with an md player.

thumbs up.

Jun 7, 2002 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 6
I second that. When I first got my Ety ER-4P's I was ready to ditch them after two days. They were painful to wear and it seemed impossible to get a good seal. Thankfully, I looked through these forums and found some great advice. I wish I had the URL at hand at the moment, because someone here had posted a very useful guide to inserting Ety's. Common sense stuff but something Etymotic DOES NOT MENTION IN THEIR PRODUCT LITERATURE NOR THEIR WEBSITE. Namely, consider that your ear canals are slanted at an angle, not straight. Once you realize this simple fact, insertion of the Ety's is no problem at all. And I never had any discomfort again.

Actually, I'd say the discomfort so many people initially experience with Ety's is due solely to the fact that you are trying scores of times to insert/re-insert them, trying to obtain a seal. That can certainly lead to some ear discomfort.

I'll have to search through the Head-Fi archives in order to find that post, but it is a vital piece of info, and one that Etymotic should include in their manuals.

Nowadays, I couldn't live without my Ety's.

Jun 7, 2002 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 6
Agreed. I had, weirdly, discomfort in one ear only. In less than two weeks, it disappeared. Think about breaking in new shoes or, better still, getting used to shoes again after wearing open sandals all summer without a break.

Jun 7, 2002 at 9:51 AM Post #4 of 6
you sure your ear-hole didn't get bigger?
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2002 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 6
I agree , it took me some weeks to get the insertion correct. I clogged a filter with in 2 weeks as well , so now after a shower its cotton bud time. I prefere to not use the foamies. I think ER4S sound better then sen580 , overall detail wins the day
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 6
If you can get to the headroom show they have a table set up for trying the Etys. I had never worn them before and with a short training session by Tyll I was able to get a good seal without discomfort every time. He had a rubbing alcohol to lubricate them a little and it worked very well. Also when you are removing them be careful to go slow as if you have a good seal it may hurt if they are pulled out too fast as one person trying them found out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back