Woo's New Flagship WA33
May 9, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #601 of 3,188
I wonder has anyone experienced with HD800 + WA33? I usually turn the level to H and impedance to H and I feel I enjoy this setting more than level to L and impedance to L. While I chatted with WOO they L level and L impedance is enough to drive HD800?
I have the HD800/WA33 as well and use both, H impedance & H level.
Remember, there's no 'appropriate' setting for the 'level' with any headphone, just a matter of preference.

May 9, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #602 of 3,188
Question. Did Woo ever respond to the humming issues due to the chassis/stacking? Or have people figured out how to mitigate it with minimal effort?

May 9, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #603 of 3,188
Mine hums to a degree. Don't much care.

May 9, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #604 of 3,188
Question. Did Woo ever respond to the humming issues due to the chassis/stacking? Or have people figured out how to mitigate it with minimal effort?
Curious as well but mine does not hum.

May 9, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #605 of 3,188
Mine hums to a degree. Don't much care.

Is the hum audible while using the headphones? That is my concern at this price point.

I'm thinking I could always have the amps quite a bit farther from my listening space, but given how I have things set up now, I'd be right by it. If it's fairly faint, I wouldn't care either.

May 9, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #606 of 3,188
I don't hear the hum through the headphones. I thought about trying a power regenerator as I read about someone who had some Hegel amps that hummed but stopped when hooked to the regenerator. I haven't done it yet as it is not that annoying and I don't want to go through the hassle of returning the unit if it doesn't work.

May 9, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #607 of 3,188
I don't hear the hum through the headphones. I thought about trying a power regenerator as I read about someone who had some Hegel amps that hummed but stopped when hooked to the regenerator. I haven't done it yet as it is not that annoying and I don't want to go through the hassle of returning the unit if it doesn't work.

Thanks, that's helpful. From what I've read, it seems it's due to the actual chassis and stacking of the amp/power unit. But if it's not loud enough to impact listening I wouldn't care.

May 9, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #608 of 3,188
Trying to decide on my upgrade for tubes. This will be my first and don’t know which drivers, power tubes, and maybe rectifier to get. Can’t afford the KR tubes for power. Too many questions but don’t know what to ask.

May 9, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #609 of 3,188
My upgrade choices. Driver: EH gold pin-pretty much your only choice.
Rectifier: Takatsuki 274B-generally considered to be the best modern rectifier. The Western Electric 421A is considered to be the Holy Grail of rectifiers but are few and far between and horrendously expensive. I have used the Sophia 274B Mesh in
a WA5 and found it very nice. EML also makes a well regarded 274B.
Power: EML 2A3 Mesh. I too found the KR too expensive and went with the EML. Since I have not heard the KR I can offer no
comparisons. The EML were initially noisy taking nearly 300 hours to stabilize. I am very happy with how they sound now.

It is my personal opinion that if you were to save money anywhere the rectifier is the place. I have found the rectifier to be the least contributor to changing the SQ of an amplifier. Good Luck!

May 9, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #610 of 3,188
My upgrade choices. Driver: EH gold pin-pretty much your only choice.
Rectifier: Takatsuki 274B-generally considered to be the best modern rectifier. The Western Electric 421A is considered to be the Holy Grail of rectifiers but are few and far between and horrendously expensive. I have used the Sophia 274B Mesh in
a WA5 and found it very nice. EML also makes a well regarded 274B.
Power: EML 2A3 Mesh. I too found the KR too expensive and went with the EML. Since I have not heard the KR I can offer no
comparisons. The EML were initially noisy taking nearly 300 hours to stabilize. I am very happy with how they sound now.

It is my personal opinion that if you were to save money anywhere the rectifier is the place. I have found the rectifier to be the least contributor to changing the SQ of an amplifier. Good Luck!

Wow u had the patience to run in the eml for 300 hrs! I'd have given up far sooner.

WE422a is indeed very good. I got one off headfi a while back. I did find changing rectifiers had a decent impact especially in the soundstage and bass impact+tightness. Have always wanted to try the tak274b but they're crazy expensive. I found changing the driver tubes most significant for highs.

May 9, 2020 at 8:54 PM Post #611 of 3,188
In owning the WA5 for several years I found that rolling drivers had the most significant impact on SQ. It is a little bit disappointing that the choices for driver upgrades are basically non existent.

May 9, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #612 of 3,188
I see the EH is $280 on woo site for quad. So I'm also looking at EML 2A3 mesh as my starting point. Thanks for the help so far keep it coming.

May 9, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #614 of 3,188
No love for the KR HP rectifier?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back