Woo's New Flagship WA33
May 4, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #1,456 of 3,189
Your talking about two different things. The Tak was my rectifier which blew up at 13 months. I have never had the KR 2A3. I have been running EML all along. First the EML 2A3 then switched to EML 300B 2.5v which one went bad. It is back in Germany get replaced(maybe). So back to the EML 2A3 quad coupled with the KR 274B rectifier.
Got it I think it was Bonndam who had them and didn’t care for them for some reason I thought it was you.

Anyone running any KR HP tubes with other tubes may not sound like the combo and be put off thinking of adding other KR tubes
I highly recommend all KR HP tubes

May 4, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,457 of 3,189
I had shipping and communication issues with JacMusic when I purchased the EML 2A3 quad. They were noisy for the first 300-400 hours but fortunately grew out of it. I then purchased a used quad of EML 300B 2.5v from a fellow Head-Fier with one going bad at approx 7 months. Intermittent communication with Jac finally led me to just ship them at my expense to Germany with an email saying here they are. Another two week wait until Jac agreed to build a new tube stating "but it will take a long time". Maybe Jac will surprise me and I will get a replacement by my birthday in July but I won't hold my breath.

I have no backup as I sold the stock tubes that came with the amp so if the 2A3s go bad I guess I will go with the KR or perhaps the Elrog. As you have noted they are horrendously expensive. One thing I know, I won't be purchasing anymore EML products.

May 16, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #1,458 of 3,189
Can I just check, those using the Holo May with the WA33, are you guys using xlr or rca?

Referencing this post from the pathos thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pathos-inpol-ear-headphone-amplifier.955244/post-16352664

The WA33 is similar to the pathos in that woo audio has mentioned not to feed it anything more than 4.4vrms.

Since the May doesn't have volume/output control, I guess feeding it to the wa33 via xlr is not advisable?

May 16, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #1,459 of 3,189
Can I just check, those using the Holo May with the WA33, are you guys using xlr or rca?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pathos-inpol-ear-headphone-amplifier.955244/post-16352664

The WA33 is similar to the pathos in that woo audio has mentioned not to feed it anything more than 4.4vrms.

Since the May doesn't have volume/output control, I guess feeding it to the wa33 via xlr is not advisable?
@Roasty I use XLR to connect my May unit to WA33 and it seems fine without clips or distortion. Maybe my ears are not able to detect them? Will have to experiment with RCA output to check this.

May 16, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #1,460 of 3,189
I don't hear anything bad with Xlr out of my May into WA33. I'm pushing the volume to 12 sometimes but mostly around 10 11 on the dial. I do have a clipping meter for setting gain on car amps I'm curious if I could get it to work on WA33.

May 16, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #1,461 of 3,189

WA33 is a fully balanced amp, so XLR input is preferred to Single-Ended, otherwise you're only utilizing half of its circuit (provided the DAC has XLR output as well).

Under the assumption that volume control should be done by pre-amp, lots of DAC's do not provide a volume control function. That said, DAC's do have different output signal levels, I guess that's why Woo audio warns you against too high a dac input voltage level - if the pot on the amp/pre-amp can't turn down the input voltage level enough, there can be problems. So you need to find out the DAC output signal voltage levels, that should be available from the DAC manual normally.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #1,462 of 3,189
I had question on what are the stock 6C45 tubes that come with the WA33. Mine are the 6c45pi electro harmonix gold-pin tubes and wonder if they are the stock or are they upgraded ones from stock? Thanks. I have the Tak 274B rectifier and stock (I think) EH 2A3 Gold power tubes.

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #1,463 of 3,189
I wonder if Woo Audio would modify the amp to use 6SN7 instead of 6C45 on special request 🤔

May 19, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #1,464 of 3,189
I had question on what are the stock 6C45 tubes that come with the WA33. Mine are the 6c45pi electro harmonix gold-pin tubes and wonder if they are the stock or are they upgraded ones from stock? Thanks. I have the Tak 274B rectifier and stock (I think) EH 2A3 Gold power tubes.
The gold pin are the upgraded tubes. I can't remember what stock are, I have never used them.

May 22, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #1,467 of 3,189
Does anyone have any experience with KR Audio tube warranty?
Any Problems like with EML?

May 22, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #1,468 of 3,189
I only have the KR 274B and that just for a few months and so far no problems. My issues with EML and JacMusic have been documented in this thread. I currently have pair of EML 300B 2.5v in Germany awaiting warranty replacement. My correspondence with Jac started on 03/08/2020 and Jac has promised to build me a new one to replace the defective one but "It will take a long time". I can hope that something will happen by my birthday in July but will not hold my breath. I see your in Germany. Maybe you could take a drive over to Sulz and ask Jac in person how's my new tube coming along?

May 22, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #1,469 of 3,189
I only have the KR 274B and that just for a few months and so far no problems. My issues with EML and JacMusic have been documented in this thread. I currently have pair of EML 300B 2.5v in Germany awaiting warranty replacement. My correspondence with Jac started on 03/08/2020 and Jac has promised to build me a new one to replace the defective one but "It will take a long time". I can hope that something will happen by my birthday in July but will not hold my breath. I see your in Germany. Maybe you could take a drive over to Sulz and ask Jac in person how's my new tube coming along?
Yeah I was following your EML Warranty journey, that was actually the reason I thought about the KR Warranty.

KR KT150 for my amp cost 940€
This is more than I comfortably pay for tubes, so the Warranty was of actual interest to me.

While I am way closer to Sulz than you are, it's still more than a 4h ride over there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back