Wooo, more cans! (open purchasing discussion, 300 euro budget)
Aug 6, 2015 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Tadgh

100+ Head-Fier
2 months ago I bought my first pair of hi-fi headphones, a pair of MDR-7506s - in a wild plot twist the MDRs (with EDT-250 pads :) ) are very possibly to be put to a working role: monitoring voice overs, video editing, and other loose monitoring purposes.

Yes, they could used for both musical enjoyment and editing work - but I want an excuse to buy slightly more.. gentle cans. The MDRs do a great job at analytic listening, outstanding for the price, but they can be *too* analytical when listening to music.

To be clear, I'm now looking for a pair of headphones that aren't like the 7506s - I can enjoy the MDRs while listening to music, but they're not nearly as flat as I expected, and those peaks I've found tend to write off 60-70% of my music library as being much less enjoyable than it could be.

So here's what I'm looking for, I've got anywhere from 200-300 to spend, and I'm open to altering any of these fields if somebody has a great idea:

- Warmer, slightly more pronounced mids
- Smoother, but still detailed treble
- Tight, and present bass (it should be there, but I don't mind if it's a little recessed)
- Tough construction
- Comfort
- Closed design, semi-closed is an option if they're closed enough that not everybody in the office can hear me!
- Low enough resistance to enjoy on phone and laptop

I'm open to any suggestions, I love velour and I appreciate the looks of a nice looking pair of cans :)
I'm also open to buying a pair of cans to mod! They'll be used out and about.
Bonus points for pics of your own pair!

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #2 of 12
Since you didn't mention a bugdet, the new DT1770 Pro from Beyerdynamic is released soon and might be worth waiting for. It will need amp though.

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 12
Since you didn't mention a bugdet, the new DT1770 Pro from Beyerdynamic is released soon and might be worth waiting for. It will need amp though.

Apologies, the budget is mentioned in the title but not in the post. My budget is somewhere around 200/300 euro - nice and loose to accommodate for value/premium contenders :)

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #4 of 12
Apologies, the budget is mentioned in the title but not in the post. My budget is somewhere around 200/300 euro - nice and loose to accommodate for value/premium contenders :)
My bad, I'm on the phone. Anyways, Soundmagic HP150 is a decent pair of headphones but I don't know if they are warmer than your current ones since I haven't actually heard them myself.

Aug 6, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 12
My bad, I'm on the phone. Anyways, Soundmagic HP150 is a decent pair of headphones but I don't know if they are warmer than your current ones since I haven't actually heard them myself.

Nah, no bother!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it! To be honest chance are they're warmer than the 7506s, which are very cold cans. Not always unbearably, sometimes it's very enjoyable - but other times it strains voices - and that's one of the chief things I want to avoid.

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 12
Mrspeakers mad dogs if you could get them a little portable amp. Something like the schiit fulla or e07k would work well.

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #7 of 12
  Mrspeakers mad dogs if you could get them a little portable amp. Something like the schiit fulla or e07k would work well.

Interesting idea, I had never even considered a portable amp. Are they powered by the MicroUSB or independently? How battery intensive are they?

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #8 of 12

Interesting idea, I had never even considered a portable amp. Are they powered by the MicroUSB or independently? How battery intensive are they?

e07k runs it's own battery and, depending on your phone, it will run through aux in or micro to mini. There are a bunch of different phone amps though. Fiio has the e11k, which is good and cheap. It is tough to find an android dac/amp, though.

Aug 6, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #9 of 12
Sounds like a pretty solid idea. Aux out to DAC to Aux out again isn't an idea I'm adverse to, in fact, I could probably make a little case to keep them both together.. Ooh that'd be fun! How long with a battery last in a mobile DAC?

Aug 6, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #10 of 12
Sounds like a pretty solid idea. Aux out to DAC to Aux out again isn't an idea I'm adverse to, in fact, I could probably make a little case to keep them both together.. Ooh that'd be fun! How long with a battery last in a mobile DAC?
I have yet to run mine out(e07k), but fiio claims 10 hrs, I believe. It'll be sufficient, likely.

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #11 of 12
I have yet to run mine out(e07k), but fiio claims 10 hrs, I believe. It'll be sufficient, likely.

that's a perfectly decent battery life - thanks!

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #12 of 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back