Woohoo!
May 10, 2002 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

davidcotton

X-CANs and HDAMs
Or...

56k is dead!!! Yes today my adsl (broadband) was finally activated so now I can go online at sensible speeds and not the s**itty speeds of dialup!

For a laugh I tried downloading a clip of a song (Nightwish)and a few days ago it was 22 minutes, tried it tonight 2 minutes
biggrin.gif

Went on to gamespy servers for Counterstrike and where there used to be a row of red interspaced with green to indicate ping theres just a nice lovely row of green so all's right with the world!

Downside? Cost. £29.99 a month (OUCH) but seeing as I use the internet a lot figured it was worth it...

Cheers

May 10, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #2 of 8
You're lucky David...

I haven't got it here yet, but... I guess i live in a little town in the middle of nowhere...

We only got cable here about 6 months ago, so it'll be another 5 years before we get broadband going by that
frown.gif

May 10, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by davidcotton
now I can go online at sensible speeds and not the s**itty speeds of dialup!

At home I have 28.8 dialup. The sad thing is that the school's broadband connection is so poorly managed, often a 28.8 dialup would be faster.

May 11, 2002 at 8:15 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
You're lucky David...

I haven't got it here yet, but... I guess i live in a little town in the middle of nowhere...

Well the surprising thing is I also live in a little town in the middle of nowhere (at least thats what the people at work would like you to belive!
biggrin.gif
) and surprised the hell out of me when this area came up adsl enabled!

The funny thing is someone at work who lives closer to the exchange than another person tried getting it, but because of the route his line took it was too far away!!

May 11, 2002 at 9:05 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Good news! The checker indicates that Broadband will be available in your area by 31st May 2002 and that the preliminary check on your line suggests that you should be able to receive Broadband services at speeds from 512kilobits per second to 2Megabits per second downstream and 256kilobits per second upstream, once BT has enabled your exchange.

Please note that a further test on your line will be performed should you decide to place an order, to make sure that your line is suitable before progressing the order.

Wahoo!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2002 at 10:52 AM Post #6 of 8
Not the middle of nowhere. Even worse than that.

They've gpt Cable & DSL all over Jacksonville, 15 miles away. No one has plans for it in St. Augustine.

As they say, "In St. Augustine, a day late is three weeks early."

May 12, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 8
I was lucky our town was one of the beta test sites for cable broadband. We have had it for years and it is well worth the cost. We have a T1 at work and when the load is heavy and I need fast access I am better off working from home. With VPN it is a pleasure getting away froom all the calls for an afternoon of work.

May 12, 2002 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 8
We've had broadband for almost 3 years now, initially cable... a year later adsl emerged... and we're in the suburbs too. I got adsl initially, but I hated the service, it was 1.544-384/128kbps, okay, but the service was unreliable. Then I got cable, which I should have done in the first place... we are capped at 10/1Mbps with 4/1Mbps normal speeds, me like
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back