Woohoo, new toy - Pioneer Monitor 10R Headphones!!
Jun 11, 2002 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
I received these yesterday from Audio Cubes. My purchase went smoothly and I would buy from them again. They kept in constant communication and sent me emails when the order was processing and when it was shipped. The only thing they need to work on is their packaging. They sent the headphones in their original box wrapped in a layer of bubble wrap and then put everything in a bag and that's it. The headphones were not damaged but they should really double box every shipment.

The headphones are awesome looking with the same type of metal adjustment system used on the Grado HP 1000 line of headphones. They are pretty comfortable to wear and feel lighter then they look. The only thing that I have to complain about is that they use the same pleather found on the Sony MDR-V6 headphones and my ears got warm and I started to sweat just like when wearing the V6s. They came with 2 headphone cables that plug into the left ear piece. One is a coiled cord with a 1/4" plug and the other is a straight cable with a 1/8" plug. The thing that I really like about them is that they fold up just like the V6 which makes things much easier when I put them in my backpack. And they fit nicely in a old Sony bag I had.

The sound was not that great when I first started listening to them. Right out of the box they sounded cold and thin. Vocals sounded sibilant and bass was weak. Things have really improved with a couple hours of burn in though. They have a clear sound with very good detail. The bass is not as deep as the Beyer DT-770 but is nice and tight. They sound more open than the 770s and not as dark. These are just very initial impressions and I think these headphones will improve even more with time. I like them better right now then the Senn 280 or the Beyer 250 and things are only bound to get better. I will post again after I listen to them some more.

f_pioneer_semonitor10r.jpg

Jun 11, 2002 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 12
I'll be interested to hear how you feel about these phones as time goes on. I'm always looking for another good closed set of phones, and these sound like they might be just that. One question: the Audio Cubes site say they have a leather housing. You found that it is actually pleather?

Jun 11, 2002 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

One question: the Audio Cubes site say they have a leather housing. You found that it is actually pleather?

By housing I think they mean the outside of each side which looks like black leather to me.

Jun 11, 2002 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 12
Nice looking set of cans.
[size=xx-small](wasn't that what acid said at the go-go joint?
very_evil_smiley.gif
)[/size]

Where did you first hear about these?

Jun 11, 2002 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 12
if anything, they look totally sweet!

all the shiny stuff, is it metal or plastic?

Jun 11, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 12
I have also delt with Audio Cubes and got great service and e-mails on the progress of my order.

Jun 13, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #8 of 12
Sweet, yes, please do submit your opinions as time wears on, I am very curious about these, too. I was tempted to get them, too.

Jun 13, 2002 at 2:37 PM Post #9 of 12
After a few more days of listening these headphones are getting better and better. These headphones definetly needed some break in. The sound is now very good and is in the same league as my other 2 top closed headphones - the Beyer DT-770 and JVC HA-DX3. The sound is now much fuller and richer. The bass is now more extended and fuller but not quite as extended as the Beyer 770. The high end is also better now with cymbal hits sounding very crisp with good detail. Voices sound warmer now but there is still some sibilance. Note - this is only on recordings that are known for sibilance like some Diana Krall and Patricia Barber CDs. I have found that these headphones work well with softer Jazz recordings as well as hard hitting Rock. I use my other closed headphones mostly with Rock because they don't sound that great with softer music. Right now, I think these headphones are good enough for an easy recommendation. I will try to take some pics over the weekend.

Jun 17, 2002 at 4:57 PM Post #11 of 12
I like the VERY industrial look. Very solid.

Can you do a more in depth comparison to the Beyers and the JVC's? That would be cool.

Jun 17, 2002 at 7:55 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Can you do a more in depth comparison to the Beyers and the JVC's? That would be cool.

The Beyers are darker and warmer sounding than either the JVC or Pioneer. They have deep bass with a rolled off top end. The JVC has more sparkle on top than the Pioneer or Beyer with more bass than the Pioneer but not as much as the Beyers. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back