Wood Grille for SR-60!!
Jun 8, 2007 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Sunkinator

Head-Fier
Since I've had alot of spare time... I've been modding my SR-60's. I tried making wood mesh (with toothpicks) but it was too unreliable.

I have moved on to bigger and better things (popsicle sticks). I took some sharp plyers and shaped 5 sticks into a circle the size of the SR-60's original mesh.

I hot glued the sticks together to make a solid circle.

I plan on running a small drill bit through it and making alot of holes. The pros of this mod are: Wood tends to have better acoustic properties than plastic (i dont know if popsicle stick wood will cut it though) and it will be more open so the ventilation will increase.

I will compare the woodied to the non woodied tonight. PS: This is pretty stupid but I have nothing better to do
blink.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 24
Im posting pics when im done with it.. Im waiting for the glue to dry right now

Jun 8, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 24
Ok... So I tested them and they sounded extremely honky. I drilled some more holes in the grill and it fell apart. What I learned from this is that fiddling with the sr-60 grille will only result in worse sound. Leave it be.

BTW no pics because it looked like crap, it's broken, and it sounded like crap. Popsicle sticks are not recommended

Jun 8, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #12 of 24
Next time, I might use popsicle sticks made from pure mahogany... or i could try the Haagen Daaz upgrade.

Maybe if I chrome plate the popsicle stick and lubricate it, it will make the sound more "slippery"

back to RL... I woodstained my popsicle sticks and hotglued them together. They were not sturdy and they looked bad so carpenters glue would be better

Jun 8, 2007 at 9:05 AM Post #13 of 24
SO MISTER,

What did you learned?

FIRST pic's, listening LATER !!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back