WooAudio 3+ vs WooAudio 3?
Nov 7, 2008 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm considering saving for either a WA3 or WA3+ for my HD650. Are there any major differences in sound between the two? It seems the WA3+ has the preamp taken out and some kind of large transformer added which the WA3 does not have.

Any opinions?

Nov 7, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 8
FOr the 650 you'd be fine with either. The 3+ is a redesign of the 3 to allow for better matching with lower impedance phones, and also has a little more juice, so it drives the 650's really well. The 3+ is also said to be cleaner and clearer sounding than the regular ol' 3 due to removing the preamp section. If you're sticking with high impedance cans like the 650, you really can't go wrong with either, but if you want to try a wider variety of phones, don't want a preamp, or especially want to try something like the AKG K701, then the 3+ is the one for you.

Nov 7, 2008 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FOr the 650 you'd be fine with either. The 3+ is a redesign of the 3 to allow for better matching with lower impedance phones, and also has a little more juice, so it drives the 650's really well. The 3+ is also said to be cleaner and clearer sounding than the regular ol' 3 due to removing the preamp section. If you're sticking with high impedance cans like the 650, you really can't go wrong with either, but if you want to try a wider variety of phones, don't want a preamp, or especially want to try something like the AKG K701, then the 3+ is the one for you.

Absolutely...

... if you get the "new" version of the HD580/600/650s with the WA 3 or 3+, you'll be very, very, very pleased - hard to beat for the price.

Though... just to be honest, "fair and balanced," you'll find the DV332 also is superb with the Senns... and... just as "hard to beat."

Nov 7, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 8
Yup, that'a another really good amp for HD650's, if you don't mind buying overseas...shipping is pricey, and in today's economy, I prefer to buy US made (just to do my part), lol...

Nov 7, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.... or especially want to try something like the AKG K701, then the 3+ is the one for you.

It's my understanding that the major difference between the 3 and the 3+ is that the 3+'s input tubes are run in parallel for more power and better impedance matching. My 3 was the first to come from Woo in this configuration, and it was not powerful enough to drive my 701's. There may be some folks out there that have no problems driving their 701's with their 3 or 3+'s.

Nov 7, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 8
You are only going so much from the output tube of the 3. The + version adds the inductor, which stiffens the power supply and should reduce the ripple, which will improve sound quality. The paralleling of the 6DE7 is something I did a long time ago and then advised Woo Audio about. It lowers the output impedance of the 6DE7 and provides a little better dynamics and drive. Within the limits of the output tube used for the 3 you should get nice sound. There are a couple of other little things that can be done to the circuit but that is another story.

Nov 7, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are only going so much from the output tube of the 3. The + version adds the inductor, which stiffens the power supply and should reduce the ripple, which will improve sound quality. The paralleling of the 6DE7 is something I did a long time ago and then advised Woo Audio about. It lowers the output impedance of the 6DE7 and provides a little better dynamics and drive. Within the limits of the output tube used for the 3 you should get nice sound. There are a couple of other little things that can be done to the circuit but that is another story.

John, you state that the 3+ Woo parallels the 6DE7, but according to the Woo web site the + still uses the 6dj8/6922 tube-type that the the standard 3 used. Did you make a typo?

Nov 7, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by KZEE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John, you state that the 3+ Woo parallels the 6DE7, but according to the Woo web site the + still uses the 6dj8/6922 tube-type that the the standard 3 used. Did you make a typo?

Yep, it uses the 6DJ8. All these number and letters, what do they mean anyway. :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back