WooAudio 3 or Little Dot MK IV SE for HD650 and preamping
Nov 8, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #31 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kostalex, most people who posted DO have or had both the Woo and the LD.

For me, I still prefer the 3D imaging of the Woo. My LD IV right now is a staging area for me.

Yes... that is the most striking aspect of the WA 3's sound, that I recall from the one I had - the "3D holographic imaging."

I'm not sure a lot of folks really use this term in the same context.

It's almost spooky - a sense that the sound is being presented outside of your phones and head from across the room. This effect made the sound appear very real - as if, you hear a sound from the side, which causes you to turn your head to see the source. A bit like someone speaking to you from across the room, while you're listening to your phones, that causes you to turn your head towards the person and take off your phones to see the person and respond.

I've not experienced this "3D imaging" with any other amp I've tried.

The WA 3 is a superb amp with the Senns - about as good as any I've tried - and, perhaps the only one, with which I've experienced this "3D imaging" effect - although, I suspect the WA 2 also presents it.

Nov 8, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #32 of 47
Oh, yes! You guys make me so happy confirming my WA3 purchase.

May you recommend some mods, tube rolling, etc.?

Nov 8, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #34 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gradofan,

How would you rate WooAudio 3 vs Darkvoice 332 with HD650?

I'm not sure how they compare... since I had my WA 3 about a year before I got my DV332.

However, I seem to recall the WA 3 certainly has more "3D imaging" than the DV332. The DV332 has a very powerful sound, that is a bit more forward, perhaps with a smaller soundstage. And... the DV332 sounds better with low impedance phones like the D5000s and the RS-1s and other Grados, which the WA 3 struggles with.

Nov 9, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #35 of 47
Dec 2, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #36 of 47
Just got my WA3. Whoa ... what does it do to HD650! No hint of veil. It is gone completely, like it never was here. Veil? Which veil? What is veil?

On the other hand, this combo seems to be a bit bass shy and ... bright! I never thought HD650 may sound bright but it does now.

HD650 reloaded.

It seems I need to burn in my ears to accomodate this new sound sig.

Dec 2, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #37 of 47
Congrats! Glad you're liking it. I'm glad someone else can now confirm my impressions regarding the fictitious veil, lol. I also love how they now sound so much less slow and dull...and so much more up front. I never really understood how they could get THAT much better compared to my old amp, but now I understand the whole "650's scale like no other..." comments.

Your tubes will need to break in for a bit too before you get that bass back. If you REALLY want bass out of it, see if you can track down a 7236 Tung-Sol power tube. A 5998 is fantastic as well - I actually prefer it in terms of dynamics, musicalty, and detail over the 7236, but the 7236 hits so much harder in the low end...

Dec 2, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #38 of 47
I am not sure that I like it right now. But I am not missing D2000 anymore
smily_headphones1.gif
I will get this 7236 (hard to find, BTW). I hope it would help to not miss DT770 which I sold recently. I want more bass, especially deep bass.

Dec 3, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #41 of 47
WA3 very sensitive to tube rolling. Maybe all toobamps are but it is just night and day difference with the WA3. Get rid of Philips JAN tubes if that is what it came with and get TungSol power tube and some decent NOS 6dj8's. IMO the WA3 is a tremendous value and the best kept secret in this subculture.

Dec 3, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #43 of 47
Tung Sol 7236 - bass slam
Tung Sol 5998 - articulation/naturalness

Amperex 6DJ8 - musicality/clean
Siemens 6922 - detail/imaging
Mullard E88CC - sweetness/warmth

Dec 3, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #44 of 47
Choices again ...
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, may someone recommend tube(s) for bass DEPTH? I am OK with the bass quantity of stock tubes but it does not go deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back