WooAudio 3 or Little Dot MK IV SE for HD650 and preamping
Nov 7, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #16 of 47
Sorry for hijacking, what is the difference between Woo 3+ and Woo 6?
I can’t decide which amp to get. First I wanted DV332 because I read good things about it in monstrous tread over 100+ pages, but it’s not available anymore.
Then I got my eye on LD MK IV SE and after some reading many people recommend Woo 3/3+ over Little Dot. Here is another tread DT880: LD MKIV SE vs. Woo3
Is Woo 6 so much better comparing to Woo 3? Currently I have HD 600 and planning to buy Denon D5000 in near future (I have D1000 as portable and really like them
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #17 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But... you better check the Woo Audio site to see if the WA 3+ has a pre-amp circuit - I'm not sure it does.

It hasn't.

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for hijacking, what is the difference between Woo 3+ and Woo 6?
I can’t decide which amp to get. First I wanted DV332 because I read good things about it in monstrous tread over 100+ pages, but it’s not available anymore.
Then I got my eye on LD MK IV SE and after some reading many people recommend Woo 3/3+ over Little Dot. Here is another tread DT880: LD MKIV SE vs. Woo3
Is Woo 6 so much better comparing to Woo 3? Currently I have HD 600 and planning to buy Denon D5000 in near future (I have D1000 as portable and really like them
smily_headphones1.gif
)

If you're going to drive low impedance phones, like the D5000s, you should avoid the WA 3 - it will not drive them properly!

I'm not even sure, I'd consider the WA 3+ for the D5000s - they really need a lot of current and an amp with low impedance output to sound their best (e.g. the X-CANv8, etc.).

Definitely, you'll want the WA 6, if you want to drive the D5000s. But... again... I don't think the 6 has a pre-amp out.

The WA 6 and WA 4 are "transformer coupled" amps, which provide greater amounts of current to drive low impedance phones. The WA 3, 3+ and 2 are OTL amps, which don't provide as much current to drive low impedance phones - though the WA 3+, and WA 2, reportedly do a better job. The WA 3, WA 2, and WA 4 have pre-amp out circuits, I don't believe the WA 3+ and WA 6 amps do.

The "bottom line" is... if you want both a phone amp and pre-amp to drive low impedance phones - you may have to "move on up to" the WA 2, which is a lot more money. And... I'm not even sure how well it drives the D5000s.

I'm not sure you can get everything you want... until you get to the WA 4 - which of course is a lot more money.

As I suggested below... check with Jack at Woo Audio.

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #19 of 47
Gradofan is correct. The WA6 does not have preamp outputs, nor does the 3+

Nov 7, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #20 of 47
To: Some people here who do not compare MK IV to WA3 but just raving "Woo! Woo-hoo!"
smily_headphones1.gif
Are you guys just salivating for Woo perfect exterior?

Nov 7, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #21 of 47
Well, to answer that...I have the Woo, and I believe that OBE does as well, so take it as enthusiatic opinion based on familiarity.

Nov 7, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To: Some people here who do not compare MK IV to WA3 but just raving "Woo! Woo-hoo!"
smily_headphones1.gif
Are you guys just salivating for Woo perfect exterior?

Sounds like you want the LD, go for it.
tongue.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #23 of 47
Yeah, leave the good amps for us, lol...

Nov 7, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you want the LD, go for it.
tongue.gif

I ordered WA3 yesterday actually
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #28 of 47
another point to make -

TO ME, they do not exactly compete. The Woo is musical and has GREAT 3D - you got to hear to understand what I mean. The LD is powerful and gives good top to bottom - really almost SS sounding and it's very clean

It's like when I compare a 5998 with the 7236

Or when I listen to my HD600 and compare it to my HD650.

There are enough differences FOR ME to consider them as different beasts

YMMV

Nov 8, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #29 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kostalex, most people who posted DO have or had both the Woo and the LD.

Too few direct comparisons were made. This is why I doubt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
another point to make -

TO ME, they do not exactly compete. The Woo is musical and has GREAT 3D - you got to hear to understand what I mean. The LD is powerful and gives good top to bottom - really almost SS sounding and it's very clean

Thank you! This is a comparo I was looking for.

Nov 8, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #30 of 47
One thing I really noticed regarding the Woo's imaging and soundstage is that yes, it is a very wide presentation, and pinpoint in it's accuracy. I was suprised though at what it did for the HD650, which time and again has always been described as laid back, and with the impression of being farther away from the performance. With the Woo/650 combo, that no longer seems to be the case...yes, they are still laid back in comparison to a Grado or the like, but they are MUCH more up front than they were on other amps, IMO. Almost to the point that I don't even consider them to BE laid back any more, but this also is heavily dependant on the source material and how it was mic'd up in recording. Some things that used to seem like I was sitting across the studio from the guitarist now seem like I'm sitting at their feet almost.

And as far as "too few direct comparisons"...I think a search would reveal that some of these folks have ALREADY stated their opinions/comparisons/impressions/etc. MANY times. Sometimes its just best to give an A or B answer, and cut to the chase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back