WooAudio 3 or Little Dot MK IV SE for HD650 and preamping
Oct 25, 2008 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

kostalex

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for HD650 amp also serving as preamp for my M-Audio BX8a active monitors. Budget is $500, incl. shipping to USA. I prefer OTL amps to transformer coupled or hybrids. I do not plan to pair this amp with low impedance phones. It was pitty to learn here that DV 332 preamp is not good.

So the choices left are Woo 3 and LD MK IV SE. If I missed some amp, please recommend it. Otherwise, please help to choose between these two. Synergy with HD650 is the most important thing for me, source is Pico.

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 47
Based on your requirements, I'd say the Woo 3 is the way to go. I have the 3+, which has no preamp section, but is ohterwise similar. Fantastic synergy with HD650s. The LD is a really good amp for the price as well. In speaking with someone who had both, they preferred the Woo by a small margin, but had no complaints either way with either amp. The LD does allow for more varied tube options via the internal jumpers, but for SQ and synergy, I'd still take the Woo.

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 47
for both the woo3 and the LD IV, the preamp outs are driven by the driver tubes. The power tubes do not come into play.

The Woo has a lot of 6DJ8 choices, a lot of them proven by testers on this board. With the LD IV you have 6AK5, EF91, EF92 and EF95 types at your disposal. as a preamp, either one will do the job

Oct 26, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 47
I know Glitch thought the WA3+ was better. It was capable of providing better spacing and overall sing more musically. The MKIV (SE) is a bit more neutral in that respect.
I know this because I almost bought Glitch's WA3+.
smily_headphones1.gif
I chose the MKIV in the end because: Cheaper (2nd hand + pick-up), good price/performance and will keep its value. The seller I bought it from said he had like 8 possible buyers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 47
...and I DID buy his Woo!

Oct 26, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #8 of 47
Glitch how do you like the DR's ?

Kostalex, your near the old tube plant that supplied 6N6P-I among others ? Cool. Either amp would be a good choice I think. Tough choice really.

Peete.

Nov 7, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
glitch39, which has better synergy with HD650?

Either one if you find the right tubes to match your taste. The Woo is a Cadillac and the Little-Dot is a Chevy. I say go for the Woo and have some fun tube rolling.
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #11 of 47
Kostalex, yes, he has the HD650 and the LD right now. He buys and sells stuff all the time, so it's not always indicative of his "favorite" equipment, just what he's settled on for the time being. He HAD the IV SE, then the Woo, preferred the Woo and sold the SE, then sold me the Woo in anticipation of going for a LD VI and going fully balanced, but stuff came up and expectations had to be scaled back a bit. He went with the regular IV because he'd already had the other version, and didn't go with a Woo 6 because he wanted to stay with an OTL design if balanced wasn't an option. Now he's indulging in Woo tube rolling vicariously through me, and simultaneously rolling new Mullards and such in his LD (and telling himself he prefers it to the Woo, lol).

Nov 7, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #14 of 47
WWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:47 AM Post #15 of 47
I'd step up to the WA 3+... since... it will be better able to drive low impedance phones, as well as high impedance phones.

But... you better check the Woo Audio site to see if the WA 3+ has a pre-amp circuit - I'm not sure it does.

The WA 3+ has some circuit changes (I think a choke filter, etc.) to enable it to drive low impedance phones better than the WA 3, which doesn't drive them well.

It would be best to just check with Jack at Woo Audio to best match your needs and your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back