Woo WES stock v. maxxed
Aug 27, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #16 of 34
Hmmmm I'm having a hard time understanding how this statement:

Quote:
Couldn't tell too much difference between them...

fits with this one:

Quote:
Spend money on tubes...or get a maxxed out one and invest in tubes down the line.

So you're suggesting that maxxing is good even though you couldn't tell too much difference between maxxed and stock?  I'm not trying start a spat or anything; I just don't understand how these two quotes fit together.

Aug 27, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #17 of 34
Its hard to tell these subtle differences in those meet environments, but I'm generally a sucker for getting something with the best parts and you might regret down the line not having gotten the upgraded components.  If you believe the benefits of upgraded components/power cables, etc. then by all means go for it.  As with everything in this hobby, it's all very subjective and only you can make the judgement wether or not that stuff matters to you. 

Aug 27, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #18 of 34
Thanks, monsierguzel.  Makes perfect sense.  I was hoping to rely on others' ears for a comparison of the two, but if the differences are that subtle, you're absolutely right that I can't do that -- I need either to listen for myself or just make a decision.  I do think that those v-caps and upgraded tubes look awesome . . ..

Aug 27, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #19 of 34
The funny thing is that no matter how cool those caps look in the pictures, you'll never see them once the amp is closed up.  I have a bunch of huge blackgates, vcaps, and jensens in my WA5 which were cool for the first week but I don't think about that stuff now.  Same for the tubes, they look cool at first but at the end all that matters is the sound.

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #20 of 34
Audiophile nervosa, the need to spend money on things just to get some phantom upgrade.  At least here the caps are in the signal path but I've seen plenty of "mods" where the modder replaced PSU coupling caps with V-caps.  Hell, I've got a picture of a Stax SRM-007tII fully fitted with V-caps when none of those caps are in the signal path. 

Aug 27, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #21 of 34

Quote:
Thanks, monsierguzel.  Makes perfect sense.  I was hoping to rely on others' ears for a comparison of the two, but if the differences are that subtle, you're absolutely right that I can't do that -- I need either to listen for myself or just make a decision.  I do think that those v-caps and upgraded tubes look awesome . . ..

I think this would be difficult and have such concidence to listen an amps in this case in the same time (modded and stock). In my path of modding a WA6SE and WA22, the different I can tell with the parts up-graded by myself is subtle and awesome. There is no changes the original sound signature of the amp but optimizing the performance in every spectrum. Also, this could be done by youself if you have some soldering skill and confident. Enjoy every step of the mod is fun. Hope this help.

Quote:
Audiophile nervosa, the need to spend money on things just to get some phantom upgrade.  At least here the caps are in the signal path but I've seen plenty of "mods" where the modder replaced PSU coupling caps with V-caps.  Hell, I've got a picture of a Stax SRM-007tII fully fitted with V-caps when none of those caps are in the signal path. 

biggrin.gif
 Seems the modder is a very rich man and or brand consious.

Aug 28, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #22 of 34
Modding is big buisness and often yields worse results then what you got in the stock unit as most haven't got a clue as to what they are doing.  They just swap in the new, pretty parts and charge a bundle for it. 

The WES amps are a bit messy inside (Woo really should use more supports IMO) but swapping the caps is easy enough to do. 

Aug 28, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #23 of 34

Quote:
Modding is big buisness and often yields worse results then what you got in the stock unit as most haven't got a clue as to what they are doing.  They just swap in the new, pretty parts and charge a bundle for it. 

The WES amps are a bit messy inside (Woo really should use more supports IMO) but swapping the caps is easy enough to do. 

I maybe not clearly state what I mean "mod" in my past Woo's amps, my bad. You're correct, spritzer. What I was done on my amps were just replaced, swapped some premium parts in same value, not any modification on the circuit.

Aug 7, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #25 of 34
I have a new WES with V-caps, and swapping the rectifier tubes made a huge difference. The Treasure 6CA7s made it a little clearer and more dynamic, and the cryo'd Brimar 6SL7s I bought from tubeworld for $500 made the details cleaner and the mid-range much sweeter, but it was the 5AR4s that made the best improvement, in clarity, soundstage, dimensionality, and so on. Not surprising, actually. IMHO, the amp now vastly exceeds the quality of the 007mk2. I can't wait to hear it with the 009.

I have access to a custom-built BH with NOS Mullard EL34s, and it is very involving with the 007mk2 - a really nice match. In this man's opinion, not the same SQ as the maxxed-out WES. But the real test will be when the 009 finally arrives here.

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #28 of 34

Quote:
My searching skills are weak, but I can't find this topic addressed elsewhere.  Has anyone compared a stock Woo WES with a maxed one, or even one that is partially maxed (upgraded tubes, etc.)?  How significant is the difference?  

When I took delivery of the WES, it was "stock."  After at least 30 days of continuous playback (24/7) including many hours of playback of the full 5-minute glide tone from the AYRE "Irrational, But Efficacious!" CD, I began serious listening.  Mentally I was comparing the early hours of playback with the "broken-in condition."  Suffice it to say that in every way the sound improved... deeper, clearer, less restricted, etc., etc..  Then I installed WOO AUDIO's "top of the line (expensive) tubes.  After some hours of break-in as above (maybe a week), WHOO HA!  Could that amount of improvement be possible?  Well, apparently so.  I simply could not believe the improvement.  It was gigantic... and I didn't even have the SR 009s yet!  Then Jack Wu asked me to bring in the WES so that he could change out 2 chokes (this is the current final version).  WOW!  The frequency extension, depth of bass, presence, upper frequency air... all were dramatically improved.... fantastic!  When the SR 009s arrived... well, read my review.

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #30 of 34
aross, I am very glad you posted your thoughts and feelings about the SR-009 with the maxxed-out WES. You certainly didn't deserve the adolescent replies you received to your 009 review in the headphone forum. That happens here when someone has spent big bucks that most don't or can't spend. I've received it, too. The review might have been better received in this high-end forum, but maybe not.

I am about to send my V-capped WES back to Jack so that he can install the higher quality choke loads, so I was especially glad to read your comments about that step. I have tried 3 different driver quad tube sets and 3 different output tube sets, and Jack's upgrade tubes (Sophia 6SL7s and Shugang 6CS7s) sound best to my ears for both --- with Herbie's guitar dampers in place. As I commented here earlier, the cryo'd rectifier tubes from tubeworld made the largest difference. I also have access to a BH (not SE), and it synergizes beautifully with the 007, but IMO it has great timbre yet lacks some detail in chamber music with the 009. The 009 is far and away the best headphone I've ever heard; it is certainly fussy about its input. So I am very much looking forward to hearing the 009/WES combo with the new choke loads --- especially after reading your comments. THANK YOU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back