Woo WA6SE Maxxed internal pics
Apr 2, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #16 of 34
Those pics made me wet.

Oh get out of the gutter. My palms were sweating with anticipation of the next pic.

Nice shots.

Apr 2, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #17 of 34
Do you have any different angles on the front sockets shot?

Apr 3, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have any different angles on the front sockets shot?

Those 6DE7 sockets are different than the normal one's he uses

Apr 4, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #20 of 34
My first impression of my WA6SE Maxxed.

1st. I was able to see inside and my maxxed looks the same as the pictures above. Shipping weight was 27 pounds.

2nd. Build quality is excellent.

3rd. Out of the box setup is easy. Just plug in the upgraded tubes, that are in the same packing that the SE is in and also connect the Power supply umbilical cord that is included.

4th. When jack shipped my SE he sent a E-mail telling me that my SE would go out the next AM Thursday, I received the SE Friday. He also included a PDF file of the owners manual.

5th. I am using a Black Sand Violet Z1 power cord brand new for my SE.
My source player is a Pioneer BDP-09. My power supply is a PS Audio - Premier Power Conditioner. I use a Cardas - Headphone Cable for Sennheiser HD650. I also use a set of Audioquest - Diamondback Interconnect cables.

6th. Out of the box impressions for audio.
The SE is better than my Onkyo A/V705, also better than my LD MK IV SE. However my new SE so far is not all that impressive for what it costs.
Yes the high, mid and low range is very good with no distortion, however there is about the same sound stage as my LD, everything is very tight.
To be fair, it is my understanding that I need at least 100 hours of break in before my SE can start to fly.

UPDATE; I just changed source players to my Toshiba HD-A35 and using Top Gun HD as a source disc and also True HD sound track, as where I was using a Core DTS sound track before. Like in the opening scene in the movie Top Gun my Audio took off. WOW I am now impressed with my WA6SE Maxxed.

So I guess the sound source and how it is encoded has a lot to do with what this SE can do. It is amazing!
tongue_smile.gif

7th. I also noted that my SE stays cool to the touch, unlike my LD that gets hot to the touch.

Apr 5, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't forget to take advantage of the 20days return policy...

I just updated my post. Here is that update.

UPDATE; I just changed source players to my Toshiba HD-A35 and using Top Gun HD as a source disc and also True HD sound track, as where I was using a Core DTS sound track before. Like in the opening scene in the movie Top Gun my Audio took off. WOW I am now impressed with my WA6SE Maxxed.

So I guess the sound source and how it is encoded has a lot to do with what this SE can do. It is amazing!

Apr 5, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillysally /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first impression of my WA6SE Maxxed.

1st. I was able to see inside and my maxxed looks the same as the pictures above.

Are you sure? With the latest revision, the two fat large caps in the second and third pics should have been replaced with a single cap, per Jack:

"The reason to replace 2 150u/350v to a single 47u is due to a power supply enhancement. Originally, the 6SE used AC heater and it needed a larger cap value to reduce hum. A better solution to reduce hum is through DC heater, which is what the current implement is for. DC heater does not require large value and the 150u would only cause side effect; however, a correct value is a must in this place."

Unless they made the revision only for the non-maxxed versions...

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure? With the latest revision, the two fat large caps in the second and third pics should have been replaced with a single cap, per Jack:

"The reason to replace 2 150u/350v to a single 47u is due to a power supply enhancement. Originally, the 6SE used AC heater and it needed a larger cap value to reduce hum. A better solution to reduce hum is through DC heater, which is what the current implement is for. DC heater does not require large value and the 150u would only cause side effect; however, a correct value is a must in this place."

Unless they made the revision only for the non-maxxed versions...

Yes that is the case. The two fat caps are gone. There is a cylinder shaped black tube were the other two use to be.

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillysally /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes that is the case. The two fat caps are gone. There is a cylinder shaped black tube were the other two use to be.

Thanks for confirming.

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for confirming.

btw. I guess its called a resistor, does look diferant than the picture of the WA6SE non maxxed. Also the resistor is centered and there is no tie down strap.

May 15, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by takezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they look the same to me... the large black mills are in place of the "gold bricks"...
i'd add additional filtering stages for both front and back sections.

Hi takezo,

Can you say some more about these two large black mills (3.3k mra12f ), what's for and any advantages, changes on the 6SE MAX? Also, where it connected to?

Thanks

May 15, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ooh, not often do I see a commercial amp I wouldn't dream of modifying for fear of making it worse.
tongue.gif

You could upgrade the wiring but I agree with your internal observation, there isn't much there that isn't already on any DIY junkies wish list
biggrin.gif

Nice amp for sure.

Peete.

May 15, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannie01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi takezo,

Can you say some more about these two large black mills (3.3k mra12f ), what's for and any advantages, changes on the 6SE MAX? Also, where it connected to?

Thanks

hi, the mills resistors are excellent and the only advantage i can think of is
smaller size. the blackgate caps are larger in diameter than the stocks i believe
and so the smaller mills were used... they're connected between the caps and
the 5th/heater pin. hope this helps.

May 16, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #30 of 34
Thanks takezo, but from the internal pics posted by hawkhead. I found that two pins connected together in the centre of the PCB seems the ground of the unit and both other side of pins are connected to the tube pin but I counted that it is not on the pin 5 on the left hand side. Any advice for that?

Many thanks.

w1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back