Woo WA22 with LCD2 - my tube rolling notes
Jun 29, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #16 of 24
MIke - I'm with you in thinking the 22 resonds well to tube rolling.

Right now I'm using this combo with my LCD2, very happily (apologies if anything I write here contradicts what I wrote above - this is an ongoing experiment!):

2399/5998 + Sylvania VT231 + EML 5U4G mesh plate

I've been swapping the EML out with a few TungSols (5U4G and 5U4GB) - I find I like these about as much as the EML (in concert with the power/driver tubes above). I also tried a Mullard GZ33 but found it a bit boring.

I did go back to trying the Sylvania 7236 over the last few weeks, and in most cases I still don't prefer them - I find them a bit too soft with the LCD2, all else equal. Though i do find them great with jazz and rock with the LCD2. I know Skylab has said he finds the 7236 to be brighter than the 2399/5998 in the 22/LCD2 setup - different strokes I guess (different equipment could certainly affect perceptions - and I do use a "warm" interconnect, Cardas Golden Reference, FWIW).

Interestingly, last night I was A/B'ing the LCD2 and T1 with the 7236s in the amp - I find they work real well with the T1, though I prefer the LCD2 sound in general (the T1 pulls office duty for me most of the time, but I bring them home every so often to mix things up).

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #17 of 24

Quote:
 ​
MIke - I'm with you in thinking the 22 resonds well to tube rolling.

Right now I'm using this combo with my LCD2, very happily (apologies if anything I write here contradicts what I wrote above - this is an ongoing experiment!):

2399/5998 + Sylvania VT231 + EML 5U4G mesh plate

I've been swapping the EML out with a few TungSols (5U4G and 5U4GB) - I find I like these about as much as the EML (in concert with the power/driver tubes above). I also tried a Mullard GZ33 but found it a bit boring.

I did go back to trying the Sylvania 7236 over the last few weeks, and in most cases I still don't prefer them - I find them a bit too soft with the LCD2, all else equal. Though i do find them great with jazz and rock with the LCD2. I know Skylab has said he finds the 7236 to be brighter than the 2399/5998 in the 22/LCD2 setup - different strokes I guess (different equipment could certainly affect perceptions - and I do use a "warm" interconnect, Cardas Golden Reference, FWIW).

Interestingly, last night I was A/B'ing the LCD2 and T1 with the 7236s in the amp - I find they work real well with the T1, though I prefer the LCD2 sound in general (the T1 pulls office duty for me most of the time, but I bring them home every so often to mix things up).

I can see that the 5998 would give you a lot of power and gain to help power the LCD-2's.

Can you tell me more about your interconnects?  I'm wondering if my interconnects are contributing to my system brightness.  Are there other warm interconnects?  I'm thinking of trying a different pair and am looking for a direction.

Thanks.

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #18 of 24
I think the 5998 and 7236 have similar gain characteristics - ie both provide more than the 22's stock 6080 or 6AS7 - so both give the LCD2 more juice. I just find they sound very different from each other.

Regarding the interconnects - I first rewired my speaker system with Cardas Golden Reference (interconnects all around, and later speaker cables as well) and they smoothed the highs nicely and gave a nice bass boost too (my big rig tends to the bright side) - the effect was very noticeable. I then decided to try them with the Woo, but the impact wasn't as pronounced, perhaps because I didn't find the 22/LCD2 combo to be overly bright to begin with (so there was less to smooth out). Cable rolling is a slippery, and potentially expensive, slope!

You could try contacting The Cable Company - they have a cable loaner library and they can point you in the right direction for a cable with the characteristics you need. Steve there has been very helpful with me in the past.

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #19 of 24

Quote:
I think the 5998 and 7236 have similar gain characteristics - ie both provide more than the 22's stock 6080 or 6AS7 - so both give the LCD2 more juice. I just find they sound very different from each other.

Regarding the interconnects - I first rewired my speaker system with Cardas Golden Reference (interconnects all around, and later speaker cables as well) and they smoothed the highs nicely and gave a nice bass boost too (my big rig tends to the bright side) - the effect was very noticeable. I then decided to try them with the Woo, but the impact wasn't as pronounced, perhaps because I didn't find the 22/LCD2 combo to be overly bright to begin with (so there was less to smooth out). Cable rolling is a slippery, and potentially expensive, slope!

You could try contacting The Cable Company - they have a cable loaner library and they can point you in the right direction for a cable with the characteristics you need. Steve there has been very helpful with me in the past.

This was helpful, thanks.

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #20 of 24
what was the power output with 7236/5998? i thought the LCD-2 require 2W output, and on the Woo webpage, it stated that WA22 output 1.5w at 32 ohm... 

Jul 1, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #21 of 24
I do not think the LCD-2 need 2W, for what it's worth. That would provide a LOT of headroom, even if you listen very very loud.

Regarding the 7236, I find the Sylvania and Tung Sol sound somewhat different. And the Sylvania, while warmer, is less detailed. Almost thick sounding by comparison.

Jul 1, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #22 of 24
I definitely agree with you there, Skylab. My bad - I though you had said elsewhere that you found the 7236 a little brighter than the 5998. "Thick" is a spot on description.

Jul 2, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #23 of 24
Yes, I do find the Tung-Sol 7236 slightly brighter than the 5998. But not the Sylvania. Sorry for any confusion :xf_eek:

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:10 AM Post #24 of 24
Aha - gotcha. Thanks for the clarification!

And thanks for unintentionally egging me on to yet another quest to acquire MORE tubes! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back