Woo WA2 vs WA6SE
Apr 20, 2011 at 12:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RiDeC58

New Head-Fier
I was just wondering if anyone out there had experience with both of these Amps and could comment on the sonic differences.  They are essentially the same price.  I know that the 6SE is Transformer coupled and so, theoretically should be better able to handle low impedance cans, but the WA2 is rated down to 25 Ohms and so should be able to drive Grados and many popular lower impedance Headphones (granted the 6SE is rated down to 6Ohms and both are rated to 600 at the top end).  But, this can't be the only factor.  Can someone help with some guidance about the sonic signatures of the two amps in terms of timber, clarity, warmth, detail etc.  Its not clear from info on the site how one would differentiate.  Anyone know of any particular Headphone synergies that might exist with either model?

Thanks

P.S.  Any particular comments about the fit with Senn HD650 and Grado RS-1

Thanks Again

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 10
The issue is finding someone who's heard both back to back. A good friend of mine (baka1969) has the WA6SE, but he lives in Philly and I'm here in Hogtown (Toronto).

I can say that my WA2 is a phenomenal amp with my beyer T1s (likely the best I've heard...scary good synergy) and one of the very best amps I've heard my HD800s with. It is a not a SS sounding tube amp, but not overly tubey either (like my now sold MAD Ear+HD tube amp). The sound staging is the best of all the amps I've owned as well.

It drives my LCD-2s very, very well too and surprisingly does an admirable job with my HE-6s (better than the Concerto).

From Ross's (Ross please correct me if I'm wrong here), is that the WA6SE is closer to a SS amp in signature (though not fully).

But as you're looking to drive both the HD650s and RS1s, I would say go with the WA6SE.

I tried my RS1s with my WA2 and it was quite good, just not as good as with my MAD (best RS1 amp out there) or my Concerto. Being an OTL amp, it is not ideal for low impedance dynamic headphones (low impedance planars though are very good with it).

Apr 22, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks Hero.  It si tough to choose without the option of demoing to compare.  I too have heard that the WA6 was less "Tubey" than the WA2.  Anyone ever heard both Amps?

Apr 22, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:Originally Posted by MacedonianHero 

"The issue is finding someone who's heard both back to back. A good friend of mine (baka1969) has the WA6SE, but he lives in Philly and I'm here in Hogtown (Toronto).

I can say that my WA2 is a phenomenal amp with my beyer T1s (likely the best I've heard...scary good synergy) and one of the very best amps I've heard my HD800s with. It is a not a SS sounding tube amp, but not overly tubey either (like my now sold MAD Ear+HD tube amp). The sound staging is the best of all the amps I've owned as well.

It drives my LCD-2s very, very well too and surprisingly does an admirable job with my HE-6s (better than the Concerto).

From Ross's (Ross please correct me if I'm wrong here), is that the WA6SE is closer to a SS amp in signature (though not fully).

But as you're looking to drive both the HD650s and RS1s, I would say go with the WA6SE.

I tried my RS1s with my WA2 and it was quite good, just not as good as with my MAD (best RS1 amp out there) or my Concerto. Being an OTL amp, it is not ideal for low impedance dynamic headphones (low impedance planars though are very good with it)."

You're correct. The WA6SE is closer to a solid state amp than is typical of what most think of as tube amps. Other than that I can't compare it to the WA2.

Apr 27, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #6 of 10
I'll have the opportunity to have the WA2 on loan so I can spend some time and compare it to the WA6SE. I'll be doing a full writeup after I've had some time with the two together.

Apr 28, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:Originally Posted by RiDeC58 

"baka, that's great.  I will anxiously await your impressions.   I am considering both of these amps as well as the Decware CSP2+. "

I've heard the CSP2. It's a nice amp. I don't think there is a clear cut winner. When I listen to the WA2 I'll know more how close it is to the CSP2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back