Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
Oct 6, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #961 of 1,192
I have a matched set of national electronics 5998's for sale, same as tungsol, grab them while they are still available. They are NOS with less than one hour of use.
I will do that. Thanks for the heads up!

Oct 6, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #963 of 1,192
@billerb1- Sell stuff you no longer need. Start walking instead of driving. Change your diet and start eating potatoes, rice, beans, bananas, and carrots.
Exactly!! @billerb1 sell stuff you no longer need amd buy the he1.

you know it makes sense!

Oct 7, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #965 of 1,192
Lol, Jacobal and Crow I am indeed touched by the concern you both show for my aging carcass.
as you’re one of the good guys I’m just looking out for you :)

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #966 of 1,192
From what I'm seeing through digging the threads, 6NS7 is a 6922 replacement given you use it with an adapter? is it confirmed that it wouldn't create issues?

If so, is it possible to use Psvane CV181-T Mark II considering it's a replacement for 6NS7?

Nov 24, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #967 of 1,192
Hello,

I've been enjoying WA2 for at least 5 years and my favorite pair of power tubes are dead now. The famous G.E.C 6ASG7 ran out of life few days ago and my rectifier tubes are also prolly going to be out of life soon.

Could you guys please give me some tips of what are decent tubes to buy that are available now ? I guess I'll never get the 6ASG7 again. Had the 5998 Cathams before and enjoyed those too (also dead by now), but those seem to go for about 150-200$ a piece or so now. Does it make any sense to try anything cheaper ? Saw some Russian tubes on ebay for example, or is that just complete waste of money ?

Also I'm completely lost when it comes to rectifiers I have Trigon EZ80 currently. No idea what to buy next.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot.

Just to entertain you, this is what I'm driving with WA2 currently

CF7qjTD.jpg

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #968 of 1,192
Hello,

I've been enjoying WA2 for at least 5 years and my favorite pair of power tubes are dead now. The famous G.E.C 6ASG7 ran out of life few days ago and my rectifier tubes are also prolly going to be out of life soon.

Could you guys please give me some tips of what are decent tubes to buy that are available now ? I guess I'll never get the 6ASG7 again. Had the 5998 Cathams before and enjoyed those too (also dead by now), but those seem to go for about 150-200$ a piece or so now. Does it make any sense to try anything cheaper ? Saw some Russian tubes on ebay for example, or is that just complete waste of money ?

Also I'm completely lost when it comes to rectifiers I have Trigon EZ80 currently. No idea what to buy next.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot.

Just to entertain you, this is what I'm driving with WA2 currently

CF7qjTD.jpg
Hey don't give up on finding a deal on GEC 6AS7G's. I've been exclusively using them for quite a few years now on my WA2 and do see them going now for $500 per TUBE...but I just got a near NOS pair last week on ebay for $325. So it can be done...you just have to be really vigilant...and lucky. As to rectifiers I've been using Marconi U709's but they are really expensive and almost impossible to find. Prior to that I really liked the pair of Philips Miniwatt EZ81's I was using and they are affordable and relatively easy to find. Good luck !!!

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #969 of 1,192
Hey don't give up on finding a deal on GEC 6AS7G's. I've been exclusively using them for quite a few years now on my WA2 and do see them going now for $500 per TUBE...but I just got a near NOS pair last week on ebay for $325. So it can be done...you just have to be really vigilant...and lucky. As to rectifiers I've been using Marconi U709's but they are really expensive and almost impossible to find. Prior to that I really liked the pair of Philips Miniwatt EZ81's I was using and they are affordable and relatively easy to find. Good luck !!!

Oh wow, I would buy pair for 325$, but I remember checking few months ago and seeing like 3000$ for NOS pair, so I kinda gave up on idea of buying those. Maybe that was just some bs price then.

About the Miniwatt EZ81's, are there more variations or is it just one type like they make them only with O getter and it's not like O getting is crap and D getter is amazing or something like that ? :smile:

Are these the ones you had ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Philip...681807?hash=item548fcabe8f:g:D-kAAOSww2ZfuVz5

Thank you for all the tips !

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #970 of 1,192
Oh wow, I would buy pair for 325$, but I remember checking few months ago and seeing like 3000$ for NOS pair, so I kinda gave up on idea of buying those. Maybe that was just some bs price then.

About the Miniwatt EZ81's, are there more variations or is it just one type like they make them only with O getter and it's not like O getting is crap and D getter is amazing or something like that ? :smile:

Are these the ones you had ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Philip...681807?hash=item548fcabe8f:g:D-kAAOSww2ZfuVz5

If you haven't tried the RFT EZ81s, you owe it to yourself to take a listen. They're my favorite rectifiers by far. East German made.

https://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=945

Nov 25, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #971 of 1,192

If you haven't tried the RFT EZ81s, you owe it to yourself to take a listen. They're my favorite rectifiers by far. East German made.

Yes those are the Philips Miniwatts that I had...or ones very similar. Although I didn't try the RFT EZ81's Astral Abyss mentioned, I did like the RFT EZ80's very much...and the RFT's tend to be very affordable. Here's a current ebay listing for the RFT EZ81's German made that Astral Abyss talked about:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ81-RFT-F...749682?hash=item4b86996f72:g:pl8AAMXQS6pRn7KN

As to the GEC 6AS7G's the current rate seems to be about $500 per tube on most ebay listings...which is nuts. But I lucked into my pair...probably because the seller labeled them as Genelex, not GEC, in
the listing headline...which probably cost him quite a bit of confusion and decreased his listing's exposure. Happens all the time. Just keep your eyes opened and be patient. I was using Tung Sol 7236's before switching to the GEC 6AS7G's and
really liked them. If you live in the USA and are interested in them, send me a PM and we can discuss.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #972 of 1,192

Thank you for tip, will try to get those.
Yes those are the Philips Miniwatts that I had...or ones very similar. Although I didn't try the RFT EZ81's Astral Abyss mentioned, I did like the RFT EZ80's very much...and the RFT's tend to be very affordable. Here's a current ebay listing for the RFT EZ81's German made that Astral Abyss talked about:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ81-RFT-F...749682?hash=item4b86996f72:g:pl8AAMXQS6pRn7KN

As to the GEC 6AS7G's the current rate seems to be about $500 per tube on most ebay listings...which is nuts. But I lucked into my pair...probably because the seller labeled them as Genelex, not GEC, in
the listing headline...which probably cost him quite a bit of confusion and decreased his listing's exposure. Happens all the time. Just keep your eyes opened and be patient. I was using Tung Sol 7236's before switching to the GEC 6AS7G's and
really liked them. If you live in the USA and are interested in them, send me a PM and we can discuss.

Ok, will give them a try also.

Do you have some bot set up to search for those or you just manually go thru ebay searching for those ? Genelex = GEC ?

Unfortunately I'm in EU, far away, but thank you for the offer.

s-l1600.jpg

Btw, so far I got https://www.ebay.com/itm/133583794280 , auction got kinda hot at the end, so not sure if I'm overpaying or not, but I remember that Telefunken was well regarded brand, hopefully it extends to these tubes also.

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #973 of 1,192
Flisker, I think you will like those Tellies. I'm running the same in my WA2. Well, TFK EZ80 instead of EZ81...but I believe they are interchangeable. Enjoy!

Oh, and anything Bill recommends...just buy it. :thumbsup:

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #974 of 1,192
Flisker, I think you will like those Tellies. I'm running the same in my WA2. Well, TFK EZ80 instead of EZ81...but I believe they are interchangeable. Enjoy!

Oh, and anything Bill recommends...just buy it. :thumbsup:
Lmao. JC you're still a trip. Hope all is well my friend !!! This Covid bs is seriously cutting into my retirement !!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back