Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
Feb 21, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #931 of 1,192
Thanks for the info.

I am very keen to get a WA2 for LCD3 and HD800S but saw a few comments in this discussion that WA2 is underpowered to drive the LCD3. I find this confusing because LCD3 has a recommended power level of 250mW and WA2 could output ~500mW at around 110ohm, so in theory this should be sufficient?

Do you need to turn up the volume to max when you use LCD3 with the WA2?
No, my WA2 has never been turned up much past half way and that was when I used it as a preamp.

The LCD-3s sound better on the Ragnarok, the T1s on the WA2; but both would be very acceptable if I didn't have a choice. I'm also using 5998 tubes.

Feb 21, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #933 of 1,192
To go back to the thread main topic, I have changed the original rectifiers on my WA2 with Miniwatt EZ80. The change is subtle but increases the openness i had already achieved with the power Thomson and driver Matsushita tubes. French and Japanese tubes, the perfect combination :D No worries, though, it's still a tubey sounding amp, which is what I love.

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #934 of 1,192
Been blown away for the past couple of months using a pair of Telefunken ECC801s as my driver tubes. You'll of course need 12AT7 to E88CC adapters. Great synergy with my GEC 6AS7G's power and Marconi U709 rectifiers.

Along those lines I've read that GEC A2900's are the absolute premier 12AT7 type tube...but that it has a higher amplification factor than others in the family. Has anyone here tried them with the WA2? Are they compatible ???
Would appreciate any input.
http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/pdf/a2900.pdf

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #935 of 1,192
@billerb1 did you finally settle down with the Marconi U709. Did the tipped up sound recede somewhat, or did you temper the hotness using other tubes in order to retain it's great detail in your system. I have a preamp incoming and I'm researching EZ80/81 candidates to try out. Hopefully, others can chip with their favorite variants to give me researching homework.

Jul 19, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #936 of 1,192
@billerb1 did you finally settle down with the Marconi U709. Did the tipped up sound recede somewhat, or did you temper the hotness using other tubes in order to retain it's great detail in your system. I have a preamp incoming and I'm researching EZ80/81 candidates to try out. Hopefully, others can chip with their favorite variants to give me researching homework.

Am loving the Marconi U709's with my GEC 6AS7G's and Telefunken ECC801S's (which require 12AX7 to E88CC adapters). As close to 'being there' that I've heard on headphones.

Jul 19, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #937 of 1,192
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you're enjoying this tube and your system as a whole.

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #938 of 1,192
One more additional question, @billerb1, is the Marconi U709 the same as the GEC U709 that can be seen on eBay for exorbitant amounts? Also, have you or anyone on here compared a Brimar to the Marconi?

Dec 13, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #940 of 1,192
after listening to the mullards for a few night, i then received the slotted graphite bendix 6080wb tubes. i haven't yet gone back to the mullards to confirm this but my first impression of the bendix (relative to the mullards) is there was more grunt and power to them. punchy (in a solid manner) , weighty and warm.

in traditional head-fi member style, over the last few months i've continuously gone backwards and forwards about buying a pair of he400i, he560 or lcd 2, when at a good price, but having only the wa2 and not sure how the last two would go with the OTL wa2 i have not pulled the trigger

after enjoying listening to the mullards, bendix and today the ts 5998 (shades of deep purple on at the moment), i'm currently in that head space of i have everything i need right here (for my home listening) with my wa2 and hd800's. a great place to be - total contentment and joy. almost old school hi-fi - what more could i want???!!!??

let's see how long this will last..........

before the internet surely there was none of this extra temptation of more gear. but also not all this info on gear and tubes unless one trawled through hifi magazines
My HE560 sounds splendid with the WA2...best I've heard, and I've heard a lot of very good amps with that phone.

Feb 21, 2020 at 6:48 AM Post #941 of 1,192
Good morning to everyone in the community! I just bought the T1 G1 and am thinking of buying the WA2. I know that stock tubes are not good. I therefore want to roll some tubes. I already have and Little Dot Mk IV and and I already rolled many tubes in it, but I came to the conclusion that I don't like using adapters. I don't like the look. So which tubes do you recommend me to use on WA2 that don't need adapters? I mainly listen to classical music, jazz, opera and a little bit of the rest.

Mar 7, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #942 of 1,192
Good morning to everyone in the community! I just bought the T1 G1 and am thinking of buying the WA2. I know that stock tubes are not good. I therefore want to roll some tubes. I already have and Little Dot Mk IV and and I already rolled many tubes in it, but I came to the conclusion that I don't like using adapters. I don't like the look. So which tubes do you recommend me to use on WA2 that don't need adapters? I mainly listen to classical music, jazz, opera and a little bit of the rest.

Woo Audio WA2 owner. Bought on Ebay 08.2019 from a nice fella who went to the Rocky Mountain show and auditioned quite a few headphone amps. I think he even talked to the head guy. One year warrant expired 11.2019

I have a distinct buzz in right headphone. Allo DigiOne Signature to Benchmark DAC3 (just as DAC) to WA2. No moving the unit to another location, change of cables, nothing could get rid of it. Switched tubes left to right, new set of tubes (upgrade) - no change. There's a buzz from the transformer even if you put your ear close to the unit. Contacted Woo before warrant expired. WOW. Basically would not take any responsibility. I even asked to pay shipping to them so they could hear it - obviously something is wrong. No. They said IT WAS A WASTE OF TIME.

The thing is worthless if it buzzes to me. Why make an amplifier if it induces noise?

Anyway, did a search for tube amp repair in my area. Found a guy that's taking a look. Who knows?

I will never buy Woo Audio again. I even thought about their trading up program (I can afford it) but why give them any money if they don't stand behind their product.

Just my honest opinion.

Mar 7, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #943 of 1,192
That's terrible man. Sorry to hear this.

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #944 of 1,192
For those types of music I think a pair of Telefunken E188CC's would fit the bill very well. Very pure. I personally use the Tele ECC801S' but they do require adapters. I find them a bit better to my ears than the E188CC's. Make sure they are genuine Telefunken with the diamond on the bottom glass. Lot of counterfeit Telefunkens out there.
I had the T1G1's when I first acquired my WA2. Great match. I now use HD800S's.
My other WA2 tubes teamed with the Tele ECC801S's are GEC 6AS7G power tubes and Marconi U709 rectifiers.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #945 of 1,192
Thanks for the info.

I am very keen to get a WA2 for LCD3 and HD800S but saw a few comments in this discussion that WA2 is underpowered to drive the LCD3. I find this confusing because LCD3 has a recommended power level of 250mW and WA2 could output ~500mW at around 110ohm, so in theory this should be sufficient?

Do you need to turn up the volume to max when you use LCD3 with the WA2?

I own the WA2. Also the Sennheiser HD800 and Audeze LCD-3 NF. WA2 is running with Bendix 6080, Mullard EZ81 and Philips SQ e88cc. HD800 goes very well with WA2, sounds more natural, specially in the highs, compared to SS amps. No problem at all with the Audeze LCD-3 NF, no high volume required. Never ever needed to exceed 11.30 to drive them. The WA2 manages the LCD-3 perfectly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back