Woo WA2 Tube Rolling Recommendations
Oct 19, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #572 of 1,192
CCA or Sylvania 6SN7GT? And no dont even think about recommending those ridiculous russian e88cc knockoffs. I have a strict rule of no russian or chinese tubes in my house! I dont care how good you claim they sound, im not buying it! Theyre GARBAGE!

Oct 19, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #574 of 1,192

Yes I filed a claim - but I really wanted the tubes.

I've had good luck with the quad of `74 Reflektors I purchased from this seller; although prices have gone up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N23P-E88CC-6922-6DJ8-Matched-QUAD-REFLEKTOR-SingleWire-SilverShield-74-1-/171957213838?hash=item280972da8e:g:XbEAAOSwu4BV5Y6z

Oct 19, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #575 of 1,192
  I've had good luck with the quad of `74 Reflektors I purchased from this seller; although prices have gone up:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N23P-E88CC-6922-6DJ8-Matched-QUAD-REFLEKTOR-SingleWire-SilverShield-74-1-/171957213838?hash=item280972da8e:g:XbEAAOSwu4BV5Y6z

Bought. Hopefully, I'm not sorry I let myself impulse buy these 
eek.gif

I have some of the double wire models to which you refer above; you're right, those tubes aren't worth more than a couple of dollars.

I am anxious to try what you call the holy grail of 6922 drivers - they will have stiff competition in my WA3, driving a Western Electric 421a and being compared to my trusty Siemens E288CC, CCa or Telefunken E188CC.

Waiting patiently for delivery ... 
popcorn.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #576 of 1,192

eek.gif

I have some of the double wire models to which you refer above; you're right, those tubes aren't worth more than a couple of dollars.

I am anxious to try what you call the holy grail of 6922 drivers - they will have stiff competition in my WA3, driving a Western Electric 421a and being compared to my trusty Siemens E288CC, CCa or Telefunken E188CC.

popcorn.gif

These tubes are (IMHO) very good; but, they're not the "end-all-be-all" tube (nothing is.)  However, they do handle sonic speed, as well as reduce congestion (i.e. allow detail)  in modern rock recordings etc. with great extension (top-to-bottom.)  For a 6DJ8 they do great!  YMMV...  I know mine does daily.

Hope the sale works for you as it did for me, but my experience has been good so far!

Enjoy Music!!!

No regrets from my purchase; these tubes are great to have in your tube arsenal.

Oct 20, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #577 of 1,192
Where are all the Brimar ez80 tubes hiding!? Anyone have a good pair for sale?

They appear under different labels more often than not; GE is very common.  I also have some labeled under the German army seal.  To find some (paired) labeled under Brimar is getting extremely rare.  YOU need to review their construction and reach out to tube vendors/ and search auction sites.

Oct 20, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #578 of 1,192

eek.gif

popcorn.gif

Looking forward to your impressions, but please keep (in my estimate) that the more detail resolution in a system the better.   Also, these tubes take 100 to 200 hours to break-in!

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #579 of 1,192

Looking forward to your impressions, but please keep (in my estimate) that the more detail resolution in a system the better.   Also, these tubes take 100 to 200 hours to break-in!

Thanks and I look forward to the detail (the Telefunken tubes are my current champs in this regard).

Hmm... 100 - 200 hours... I've noticed this with my GEC 6AS7g brown base tubes - I didn't really see the value when I first tried them; but now it's been about a month of listening and I am liking them a lot more. I wonder if 200 hours is standard for all tubes.

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #580 of 1,192
Can anyone tell me if rolling better tubes will add more sub-bass. Like the stock WA2 doesn't kick or have the thump for bass.

Will adding more expensive tubes add significant more sub bass rumble?

Everyone recommend the Tung-Sol 5998 for the power tubes, but what about the Rectifier & Driver tubes.
Will changing them also change the bass as well?

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #581 of 1,192
Can anyone tell me if rolling better tubes will add more sub-bass. Like the stock WA2 doesn't kick or have the thump for bass.

Everyone recommend the Tung-Sol 5998 for the power tubes, but what about the Rectifier & Driver tubes.
Ive found this very useful.

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #582 of 1,192

I found significant bass improvement from source adjustment. I'm using stock tubes with analog source and rs1.....yes rs1 even my self I can't believe the result because this is in contrast to what I read from the wa2 thread.

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #583 of 1,192

If all you want is sub bass rumble, sell the WA2 and buy some crappy beats headphones and a BOSE stereo!

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:18 AM Post #584 of 1,192
If all you want is sub bass rumble, sell the WA2 and buy some crappy beats headphones and a BOSE stereo!

Or, a Feliks Elise, an OTL that has subterranean bass . FWIW, my WA6 is limited in its extension; barely dips into the lowest octave. What's there, though, can be made to sound fairly powerful with careful tube selection, and the bottles don't have to be expensive or highly revered on the forum. As an example, the Brimar rectifier often recommended makes it sound absolutely anemic. FWIW, I use tubes that barely anyone talks about and a few that some may not have heard of. But, I digress. The point is, I guess, that if one's optimized the amp and he's still not happy with it, there are other options aside from Beats and Bose, which BTW can only dream of hitting the bottom octave with a reasonable distortion component.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back