WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Apr 21, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #302 of 2,600
Well, I've placed my order for the WA7. After hearing it with my K701's (among others like the Beyer T1 I mentioned previously) at SSI I've been thinking that the WA7 needs to be mine, and so it shall be. Stephen Mejias of Stereophile came away from the WA7/K701 combo at the New York Audio Show this week with the same conclusion as I did at SSI: "The sweet, detailed, richly textured and colorful sound made for what might have been my very favorite listening experience of the show."

http://www.stereophile.com/content/woo-audio-m%E2%80%A2-recordings-and-stereolab

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #303 of 2,600
He did a column on the Skullcandy Aviators and Dr Dre Beats this month. We could hope that he also reviews the WA7/K701 combo !!

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #304 of 2,600
Quote:
Well, I've placed my order for the WA7. After hearing it with my K701's (among others like the Beyer T1 I mentioned previously) at SSI I've been thinking that the WA7 needs to be mine, and so it shall be. Stephen Mejias of Stereophile came away from the WA7/K701 combo at the New York Audio Show this week with the same conclusion as I did at SSI: "The sweet, detailed, richly textured and colorful sound made for what might have been my very favorite listening experience of the show."

http://www.stereophile.com/content/woo-audio-m%E2%80%A2-recordings-and-stereolab

Have you tried different tubes to do a little comparison? K701 will be used a lot by me. 

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #305 of 2,600
Quote:
Have you tried different tubes to do a little comparison? K701 will be used a lot by me. 

I have tried it with stock tubes and the gold pins on Q701. My impression is that the stock tubes are better for these headphones. The gold pins give slightly deeper bass which is a desirable quality, but they seem to reduce the output power - I started noticing non linear distortions just above my normal listening levels (i.e. peaks of more dynamic tracks). I can easily compensate for the lack of bass with an equalizer, but the only way to reduce the distortions is to lower the volume. 

May 2, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #309 of 2,600
A question for the WA7 owners 

One of the reasons I am interested in the WA7 is that it is designed for IEM's also and  as I enjoy my sennheiser ie800's so much I want to start using them to listen at my desktop

how do you think it will go with these ? They have a warm some say bassy sound signature so maybe thinking that a tube amp may not be the best match.

If not the WA7 can anyone suggest any other amps that can drive both IEM's and headphones that could do the trick ?

May 2, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #310 of 2,600
I have the wa7.

It's not that warm , I can say I only notice the warmth on the hd800 and the tg334. But it only takes a little edge off. As for the i800. I do not own them but do own the ix10 from koss.
What u own is much better but a similar sound signature. It does not make them more bass heavy. Remember it's all solid state and only the drivers are tubes. Also the stock tubes are brighter than the upgrade . I have both.

As far as another DAC amp combo. I own a mytek sterio 192 But its more money but more versatile . Also what. Is impedance of your IEM,s. remember the wa7 is 10 ohms output imp and if the i800 is about 32 it's ok but not ideal for sound quality .

Al D

May 2, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #311 of 2,600
thanks for that info
the impedance of the ie800 is 16 ohm's, I assume the closer it is to the impedance of the amp the better ? Not too sure on how all this impedance stuff works and how it affects the SQ. I did try to follow the topic in the AK100 thread but it all got a bit dramatic for me.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 2, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #312 of 2,600
No is the oppiset u need amp ro be lower at least 4 times lower .
Do a search on imp and affects on headphones

May 2, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #313 of 2,600
It is a ratio of at least 4 to 1. Meaming if u have N amps output imp of 10 ohms
A 40 ohm iem or headphone is ok not perfect but ok some IEMS. D headphones are affected more than others a d need more of a ratio 5 or 6. I have read threads that say 8 times is perfection. That is tough to do with iem s that Are 16 ohms. It would need to be 2 ohms for perfection.
Ok hope it helps u
AL D

May 2, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #314 of 2,600
Quote:
 Also what. Is impedance of your IEM,s. remember the wa7 is 10 ohms output imp and if the i800 is about 32 it's ok but not ideal for sound quality .

I don't remember seeing the output impedance of the WA7 published anywhere.  Where did you get this info? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back