WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Feb 28, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #1,831 of 2,600
I use Hi-Z, but the reason I asked is because of the 1:8 ratio rule. The WA7 definitely has enough power to drive 300 ohm headphones using the lo-z setting. Anyways, judging from this review: 

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/woo/wa7.htm#z

The output impedance does not change much between hi-z and low-z. It is mainly the gain that changes. Based on that and the specs of the HD800, the lo-z should work just fine. Although, the HD800 does have an impedance spike around 100hz. 

As for 32 ohm Grado cans, theoretically the WA7 should not be a good match (like most tube amps), but they all seem to fair just fine. 

I am curious what Woo thinks.

Feb 28, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #1,833 of 2,600
I've found the Hi-Z to be my preference on all but my CIEM's and UIEM's and I'm largely indifferent between the two on those. Further, I play them from the 3.5mm which is a different ball of wax.

For reference, I've only tried the WA7 on HD650's, HD700's, ATX M50x's, Sony MDR-Z7's, Bang & Olufsen H6's, and AKG K702's.  And only two different sets of tubes in the amp (I'm running the Electro Harmonix gold tips currently).  I use an external DAC as I prefer it.

For the record, I was being flippant.  It was a response simply based on my experience.  YMMV.

HS

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #1,834 of 2,600
I am sorry to tell you but changing the USB cable can not change the quality of your sound. Your DAC reads your digital code and translates it to analog. If the cable losse a piece of data the DAC Will notice and the data Will be sended again. So unless you have Some seriously highvoltage cables running next to your USB cable. Changing it shouldnt matter at all. People Please don't spend. 100s of dollars on USB cables, its better spend on tubes/headphone cables

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #1,835 of 2,600
I am sorry to tell you but changing the USB cable can not change the quality of your sound. Your DAC reads your digital code and translates it to analog. If the cable losse a piece of data the DAC Will notice and the data Will be sended again. So unless you have Some seriously highvoltage cables running next to your USB cable. Changing it shouldnt matter at all. People Please don't spend. 100s of dollars on USB cables, its better spend on tubes/headphone cables

Are you serious? I heard a $100 USB cable make the night and day difference compared to a $10 one in terms of sound quality. People said it opened the sound stage, and made the treble not rolling off, and enhanced the sub-bass which was weak before now very tight and energetic. I heard it also made people hear many things they never noticed on the songs they have listened hundreds of times, not to mention changing instrument separation from feet to yards; and many said it was the USB cable that truly scaled up their headphones and make them rediscover its potential...are you saying all these are not true and only exist in the imagination to justify the $90 spent? 

But I can prove you wrong. I am almost certain that you didn't realize the benefit of the cable because you only upgrade the USB cable, not the power one. If you do that, they together will tear down all the barrier between you and the music, and bring back the fond memory of your childhood when the analog sound had true soul. 

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #1,836 of 2,600
This companies audio engineers seen to be dead serious about ubs cables -->http://bmc-audio.de/index.php/pureusb1-123.html  I've never spent 400-600 on a cable but I do spend 50-60 on them and noticed a difference right away.. 

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #1,837 of 2,600

Are you serious? I heard a $100 USB cable make the night and day difference compared to a $10 one in terms of sound quality. People said it opened the sound stage, and made the treble not rolling off, and enhanced the sub-bass which was weak before now very tight and energetic. I heard it also made people hear many things they never noticed on the songs they have listened hundreds of times, not to mention changing instrument separation from feet to yards; and many said it was the USB cable that truly scaled up their headphones and make them rediscover its potential...are you saying all these are not true and only exist in the imagination to justify the $90 spent? 

But I can prove you wrong. I am almost certain that you didn't realize the benefit of the cable because you only upgrade the USB cable, not the power one. If you do that, they together will tear down all the barrier between you and the music, and bring back the fond memory of your childhood when the analog sound had true soul. 

LMAO...outstanding!

biggrin.gif

HS

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #1,838 of 2,600
  This companies audio engineers seen to be dead serious about ubs cables -->http://bmc-audio.de/index.php/pureusb1-123.html  I've never spent 400-600 on a cable but I do spend 50-60 on them and noticed a difference right away.. 

From what I can tell (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here), there are two separate issues at play in these discussions of digital cables. From a digital perspective, (yes, I'm going to say it.... wait for it.....) BITS are BITS :wink: A $5 USB cable is just as capable as an uber-expensive cable at accurately transferring the bits to where they need to go.

Where things seem to get murky for me is how a cheap USB cable can leak RF/noise over the electrical connection that may negatively impact the receiving end (DAC) and thus negatively impair sonic performance. I guess this is where galvanic isolation techniques come into play to help alleviate this problem, or some other technique (LH Labs USB cables?) that try to isolate the electrical and data lanes and boost raw IO performance.

Personally, I can't hear the difference....but then again, I'm 55 years old and my ears are schiit. Honestly, this whole objective vs. subjective debate will never end in the audio world and my eyes just glaze over now when I read (re-read!) posts that talk about this stuff.

Mar 3, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #1,840 of 2,600
  With the deepest respect for all
The cable debate is endless and this is not the place

+1000. to everyone who wants to argue cables, go away.

just ROTL at above post that cites a company's self-advertising marketing for their product.....

if you understand anything about how usb cables work, you will realize how silly the whole debate is.

reference links for people interested:
http://www.geoffknagge.com/uni/elec101/essay.shtml#Ch3
http://www.beyondlogic.org/usbnutshell/usb1.shtml

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #1,841 of 2,600
I don't mind hearing impressions with different cables and the WA7.

Schiit created the Wyrd for USB, so I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that the signal could have interference. There are DAC reviews stating where the Wyrd improved the sound, and others where it didn't.

I'd be happy to hear if something like the Wyrd made any sonic difference with the WA7. I don't own any crazy expensive cables myself, and fully agree with the above posts re USB.

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #1,842 of 2,600
I don't mind hearing impressions with different cables and the WA7.

Schiit created the Wyrd for USB, so I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that the signal could have interference. There are DAC reviews stating where the Wyrd improved the sound, and others where it didn't.

I'd be happy to hear if something like the Wyrd made any sonic difference with the WA7. I don't own any crazy expensive cables myself, and fully agree with the above posts re USB.

The problem that the wyrd solves relates to noise caused by the usb power hub/power management/ground loops... not the actual usb cables.

if you aren't hearing issues, the wyrd does not technically make a difference... though anecdotal accounts vary greatly of course (as usual in this audio hobby where people never bother to do any actual controlled objective comparisons).

lol btw did you guys hear my friend told me that he knew this guy who upgraded his usb cable for his mouse to improve gaming & his printer cable to print sharper images?!?!? tots freals yo

Mar 3, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #1,843 of 2,600
Sounds good. Silly to compare printers and mice on usb to audio. They don't suffer from jitter the same way. People can be ridiculous about cables, but it's also ridiculous to compare audio to printing.

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #1,844 of 2,600
Sounds good. Silly to compare printers and mice on usb to audio. They don't suffer from jitter the same way. People can be ridiculous about cables, but it's also ridiculous to compare audio to printing.

Dude. he was being completely facetious.

Mar 3, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #1,845 of 2,600
I completely agree with @mikoss, if you don't believe in the ability of a USB cables to have an impact on what we all hear, that's fine.  It is our duty as a community to direct members to areas where they can do their own research.  However, I find it extremely unsettling that members of this community constantly degrade and make sarcastic comments about those who say that they do hear a difference.  It is healthy and natural to be a skeptic but to completely disregard the impressions and experiences of others because YOU don't not hold the same view is bad for the community.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back