WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Dec 13, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #1,516 of 2,600
Guys, http://www.head-fi.org/t/746257/woo-audio-wa6se-or-wa7-wa7tp#post_11125918

My poll. 

"I won't be using the DAC section of the WA7 so I'll be looking purely at amplifier quality. The headphones these would be driving are mainly the MrSpeakers Alpha Dog and the Philips Fidelio L2 (not as much a priority). I understand tubes and everything change the sound signature but I'm specifically looking for a warmer/bassier sound though with midrange intimacy and clarity. Basically, a warmer sound that add quality to vocals and smoothen upper mids and treble. Which would be warmer and bassier in stock form and would most likely have that sound signature with the possible tube replacements that Woo Audio offers. Other aspects to consider in comparing would be synergy with the Alpha Dog, soundstage, instrument separation, power to drive planars. Thanks all."

Dec 14, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #1,517 of 2,600
While HD650 and WA7 with stock power supply is a great pairing I would still recommend to get Bifrost Uber and use WA7 as amp only and yes I've owned both at the same time. But to get the best possible sound i would recommend to get tubes power supply too

I'd agree. The WA7tp is amazing. It definitely makes tube rolling a lot easier. 

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #1,518 of 2,600
I recieved my HD 650's a few weeks ago and have been patiently waiting for my WA7d which will be here sometime this week. I got the standard power supply with the Electro-Harmonics upgrade. This will be my first tube amp. I was considering the Bitfrost and a the Lyr 2 but thought the WA7d was a better option. Not having any experience with tube amps, I am curious as to just how much of a difference there really is in the sound with a SS power supply versus a tube. The way I see it, as long as the amp is getting clean power, the amp should dictate the sound quality not the power supply. Is my thinking wrong? My curiosity might see me getting the tube power supply at some point in the future. I think the only way you can really tell is to hear the combo first hand in an A/B test.

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #1,519 of 2,600
You are right that A/B testing is the way to find out but it took me just couple of minutes during the meet to hear the difference but if you have money and your order wasn't shipped yet I would recommend you to get tube power supply instead

Dec 14, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #1,520 of 2,600
My order has been shipped. I live in Canada and ordered the WA7d through the Gramophone in Edmonton. I was concerned with broker fees and they quoted me a price that was close to what the exchange rate was. I will get the tube supply at some point next year.

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #1,523 of 2,600
  Using HD800 and WA7 as amp, preferences between Resonessence Concero HD and Matrix X-Sabre?

i had the Concero but not the HD version, i find it less fun/dynamic when in the Treble/Bass/micro details when compared to the X-Sabre,

ofc this is how i hear it, don't know about the others, but i wasn't happy with the Concero at all, the X-Sabre is way better for the value

and once again this is based on my experience and ear on both DACs :p

oh my WA7 were always used with the EH tubes, i find the stock tubes to be boring and with less dynamic and details, more mellow like, but hey its a matter of preference, i am not bashing anything.

Dec 20, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #1,524 of 2,600
  My order has been shipped. I live in Canada and ordered the WA7d through the Gramophone in Edmonton. I was concerned with broker fees and they quoted me a price that was close to what the exchange rate was. I will get the tube supply at some point next year.

Congratulations!  We look forward to hearing your listening impressions after a good burn-in (50-100hrs). 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #1,525 of 2,600
Sorry if I have to be "that annoying guy" since I know its been asked before, but I'll try..

Has any good Samaritan taken internal/disassembled photos of the WA7? I'm really curious to see the internals. Thanks!

Dec 21, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #1,526 of 2,600
I have tried and tried. I bought all kinds of drivers, because I could hear something rattling in there and wanted to get it out. I don't believe it's possible to open one of these without damaging them. Jack has created his own tooling for a screw and has a key driver. It's not any of the standard security torx bits. Fortunately I managed to get the rattling piece out of the tube socket by shaking it. It was a piece of glue. Then, I quit trying to open it.

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #1,529 of 2,600
I have owned my WA7d + WA7tp for about 2 weeks now and feel that it is a small price to pay for such a nice upgrade and imo it is worth getting. My ps500's,he500's & t1's have never sounded so good..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back