WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Nov 23, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #1,471 of 2,600
One man with a strong opinion...LOL.  The amp section is super black / quiet and powerful.  You can mix up the DAC as it's tough to be exceptional at both, and the tubes can be rolled...it's a tube amp and power supply.  I don't run the separate power supply so cannot comment on it.  

I've been extremely pleased with the value for money...especially with the amp side, footprint and the design / manufacturing quality for the money.  It's too bad you don't have one to sell as I'm sure it'd go quick.

biggrin.gif

HS 

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #1,472 of 2,600
Yes, "lame" is definitely an unfair descriptive. All I can say for sure is that it wasn't for me and based on other matings I heard at the show, well, ya know :)

Not sure if anyone checked out the MrSpeakers AlphaPrimes with Spritzer amp, coming in at about half the cost of the LCD3/WA7 combo. That was pretty awesome. What a great time for this great hobby, with so much excellent gear out there to experience and torment each other over :) 

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #1,473 of 2,600
  Tried the Firefiles with upgraded power supply at home on demo from Audio Advisor with Audeze LCD 3's and found it pretty lame. I figured it needed burn in time, I didn't have the right cables, it didn't play well with Amarra etc..

I then went to the NY Area Meet in Stanford CT, and got to listen to the same setup, figuring Woo would be making it sound as good as it can. Maybe they were having an off day but for my ears it was still lame. For a $3400 setup it was tinny on one end, washed out, dull and muddy on the other end. My 20 year old Senn. 560's with a $200 V-can (Ver1) sounds way better. I really wanted to like it, but, just one man's opinion, for better sound look elsewhere.

Audeze are planar magnetic so they sound different from dynamic driver headphones that you may be accustomed to.  Give the system some time for your ears to adjust.  

Also, try your HD560 on WA7 and see if you like that more. 

Yes, "lame" is definitely an unfair descriptive. All I can say for sure is that it wasn't for me and based on other matings I heard at the show, well, ya know :)

Not sure if anyone checked out the MrSpeakers AlphaPrimes with Spritzer amp, coming in at about half the cost of the LCD3/WA7 combo. That was pretty awesome. What a great time for this great hobby, with so much excellent gear out there to experience and torment each other over :) 

Dan aka MrSpeakers bought WA7 + WA7tp for personal use and to demo his headphones.  If that saids anything about WA7's performance.  :wink:

~ Mike

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #1,474 of 2,600
WA7 +Tp is my favorite set with the HE500 second only to my HD800 on a custom S.E.T with $600 worth of tubes
There are quite a few reports of disappointed listeners with the WA7 in combination with planar cans particularly from shows . Personally I found it a very pleasant combination from day one but I had already owned the HE500 for a year so was accustomed to the planar sound . Judging by posts in other threads people seem to prefer planar cans driven with over powered amps , I think the resulting boosted dynamic compensates for the delicate nature of some planar cans . My experience is this destroys the fine detail planar cans do so well . For my money the WA7 +Tp gives enough dynamic and retains detail and accuracy can't fault it really 

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #1,475 of 2,600
I love the WA7d + WAtp combo with Alpha Dogs. It's just fantastic. I haven't had the pleasure of listening to any planar headphones yet, but dynamics sound great on this combo. Unfortunately my amp blew a tube last night (or so I think), so I'll be without for a few days... 
frown.gif

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #1,477 of 2,600
Audeze are planar magnetic so they sound different from dynamic driver headphones that you may be accustomed to.  Give the system some time for your ears to adjust.  

Also, try your HD560 on WA7 and see if you like that more. 

Dan aka MrSpeakers bought WA7 + WA7tp for personal use and to demo his headphones.  If that saids anything about WA7's performance.  :wink:

~ Mike

Ha! Lol - Hard for me to imagine disappointment with WA7 + TP (or with the solid state power supply). Speaking from experience with other amps I am very pleased with mine!

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #1,479 of 2,600
So I've had my WA7 for a little over a year and it seems to have developed a cosmetic problem.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen anything like this or has any suggestions.

Basically what happens is about 10-15 minutes after powering on my WA7, the left LED (that's under the tube and makes it glow) goes out.  Then after about 1 hour of the WA7 being on, the LED turns back on again and stays on seemingly forever (many hours at least).

This happens every single time after I go through long periods of the WA7 being off. Basically I can turn it on when I get home from work, the LED works for 10-15min and then turns off, later it turns back on after an hour and stays on for the 3-5 hours I might have the WA7 on.

As I said, this only seems to be a cosmetic issue as it seems to be performing normal for sound otherwise.

Anyone got any ideas or suggestions about this?

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #1,481 of 2,600
  LED?!  Isn't that the tube heater coil?  You mean the orange glow in one of the tubes?  I know of no LEDs on the WA7 or tp.

I'm not sure what a tube heater coil is.  Sorry I am a noob with tubes.

https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=wa7+led+enhanced+tube+glow

From what I can tell, my WA7 has an orange LED directly at the base of each tube socket which is what is responsible for 99% of the orange glow.  There is only a tiny orange filament in the top of the tube that produces any light as well.

As I said, there is no affect to the sound when the light is on or off.  I even swapped the tubes and the light goes out on the left side either way.

I can take better pictures when I get home if you want to see, but here is a cell phone pic.
http://i.imgur.com/ePmhFf9.jpg

As I said, it doesn't matter if I swap the tubes, the light on that side is always the ones that goes in and out and if I look closely it seems to be coming from an orange LED thats in the WA7's socket between all the pins.  I don't dare power on the WA7 without the tubes installed so I can't really get a clearer shot.

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #1,484 of 2,600
Well, If I wasn't a Woo Audio customer for life before I am now!

Mike Liang of Woo just informed me that they will be repairing my LED free of charge despite that my warranty is just over 2 months past.  He said they want my WA7 to look gorgeous when in use.

Now I will order some EH tubes to show my continued support :)  You guys convinced me that they are awesome with the HD800s.

Maybe there is even a WA7tp in my future sometime too :)

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #1,485 of 2,600
Interesting... never even knew there was an LED in there... In some of my tubes it doesn't come on instantly when you press the front button but comes on slowly and others it comes on in a bright flash and then dims back down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back