WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Nov 12, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #1,456 of 2,600
  hanks for your advice, but the problem is that the sound is not woo veins detected by the mac book air, is not seen just as if I had nothing connected.
I changed the USB port and USB cable, I found that on an older iMac running fine, I finally heard the Apple support told me that there may be a problem with the port of 2.0 W7 that it interacts properly with the doors 3.0 mac air, it is true that they are backwards compatible, but there may be discrepancies with the sound card.
hope someone can help me Woo Audio, this product is not imported into Italy and it cost me a lot get it specially from the United States.
thanks

That's interesting.  My Mac Air (mid 2012 model running the last OSX before Yosemite) will detect my USB cable even with nothing connected to it.  You might check Audio Midi can detect the cable itself.  I'll check again tonight when I get home to confirm my recollection.

I hope you work it out.  I absolutely love my Woo.

HS

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #1,457 of 2,600

I'm sold....owe you a beer.  I was surprised with the improvement I heard on the first shot.  I had to go back to iTunes to confirm it wasn't just in my head.

The only issue I've found is that when I switch back to iTunes or try to say play a video on YouTube, the audio output is to the Mac's speakers and not the USB output (aka my cans).  So I have to go back into MIDI and Sound Preferences, and then shut down and restart the software to get it to push the iTunes audio to the USB.  Doesn't like going between the two automatically to the USB output so I can easily A/B. 

I tried using the Core option in Audio Output and that didn't get me any sound out of the USB so I went with the S/PDIF option that populated and that worked, although perhaps that's causing part of my issue.  Tried the Core option twice without joy.

HS

I use Core Audio and turn off the 'integer mode and off the sxclusive mode which i think are both off by default, but not sure.  Remember you have to select which device you are outputting to in preferences as well.  my guess is that wasn't set right is why you might have gotten nothing out of usb.  also once you get it set right and save the settings then exit JRiver and turn off your dac and reboot your mac just to let it get situated fresh.  this isn't something you need to do every time but i have noticed sometimes when you switch devices and modes etc it needs a restart.

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #1,458 of 2,600

I use Core Audio and turn off the 'integer mode and off the sxclusive mode which i think are both off by default, but not sure.  Remember you have to select which device you are outputting to in preferences as well.  my guess is that wasn't set right is why you might have gotten nothing out of usb.  also once you get it set right and save the settings then exit JRiver and turn off your dac and reboot your mac just to let it get situated fresh.  this isn't something you need to do every time but i have noticed sometimes when you switch devices and modes etc it needs a restart.

Ya kinda lost me.  So I'm home and saw your kind response.  Grabbed the MacAir and tethered in via USB to the DAC to the Amp to the cans.  JRiver was open and I hit play, DAC recognized the output straight away and I'm playing.  In JRiver under Playback Options I can see the following for my Audio Device:  TE7022 Audio w/ SPDIF [Core Audio].  So it's working good w/ JRiver.

If I go to iTunes, it sends the music to my MacAir speakers.  

In Audio MIDI, it reads as if the music is being sent to Built in Output which I'm assuming is my external speakers.  it won't let me change that and I think what it wants is for me to close JRiver and iTunes then I can change it...I played with it some last night like that to get what I want.

Where is the "integer mode and the exclusive mode" you mention...in JRiver?  I'm wondering if we're running different versions.  I'm on Media Center 20.0.14

Thanks for being patient with me...

HS

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #1,459 of 2,600

Ya kinda lost me.  So I'm home and saw your kind response.  Grabbed the MacAir and tethered in via USB to the DAC to the Amp to the cans.  JRiver was open and I hit play, DAC recognized the output straight away and I'm playing.  In JRiver under Playback Options I can see the following for my Audio Device:  TE7022 Audio w/ SPDIF [Core Audio].  So it's working good w/ JRiver.

If I go to iTunes, it sends the music to my MacAir speakers.  

In Audio MIDI, it reads as if the music is being sent to Built in Output which I'm assuming is my external speakers.  it won't let me change that and I think what it wants is for me to close JRiver and iTunes then I can change it...I played with it some last night like that to get what I want.

Where is the "integer mode and the exclusive mode" you mention...in JRiver?  I'm wondering if we're running different versions.  I'm on Media Center 20.0.14

Thanks for being patient with me...

HS

Player -> Playback Options -> Audio ->Audio Device -> Device Settings...

Yeah their settings are all over the place and hard to find for sure.  Interface could use a little cleanup and re-organization I think but that is the only flaw I have found so far.  Good thing is once you get it setup

your done.

Nov 13, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #1,460 of 2,600

Player -> Playback Options -> Audio ->Audio Device -> Device Settings...

Yeah their settings are all over the place and hard to find for sure.  Interface could use a little cleanup and re-organization I think but that is the only flaw I have found so far.  Good thing is once you get it setup

your done.

Thanks again, G.  I'll look at that when I get home to see if it makes a difference.

What I had concluded before seeing your lastest post is that iTunes and JRiver don't play well together.  I can get one toggle between the two (i.e. a single A/B session with music pumped out of the Mac via the USB to my DAC) and then iTunes gets kicked to the MacAir speakers upon the next switch between the two players.  If I only have one player running, there's no issue....they each send the signal to the USB.  

Regardless, I'm digging the JRiver.  Only thing I found beside this is that upon import of my lossless library, it took all of my Best of compilations and anything that had Various Artists and dumped it all into one location.  It did not recognize say my Best of Macy Gray CD as a single album/cd.  The EQ option is a nice to have although I tend to leave well enough alone given all the coloring I'm bringing into my chain using the Beresford, the Woo WA7 and then the Z7's or HD650's...that's enough color for even the most jaded listener...

biggrin.gif

HS

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #1,461 of 2,600

Thanks again, G.  I'll look at that when I get home to see if it makes a difference.

What I had concluded before seeing your lastest post is that iTunes and JRiver don't play well together.  I can get one toggle between the two (i.e. a single A/B session with music pumped out of the Mac via the USB to my DAC) and then iTunes gets kicked to the MacAir speakers upon the next switch between the two players.  If I only have one player running, there's no issue....they each send the signal to the USB.  

Regardless, I'm digging the JRiver.  Only thing I found beside this is that upon import of my lossless library, it took all of my Best of compilations and anything that had Various Artists and dumped it all into one location.  It did not recognize say my Best of Macy Gray CD as a single album/cd.  The EQ option is a nice to have although I tend to leave well enough alone given all the coloring I'm bringing into my chain using the Beresford, the Woo WA7 and then the Z7's or HD650's...that's enough color for even the most jaded listener...

biggrin.gif

HS

if one conflicts the other then it must be set wrong in terms of exclusive or integer mode.  this sort of exclusion only happens for me if i enable either of those options.

JRiver has a forum where people can get good answers from the developers on. check it out.

no idea why it moved any file on import.  my guess is the default setting is to move files?  mine never did that.  but when i ran the import i selected the advanced options and set it up not to move files.

Nov 13, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #1,462 of 2,600

if one conflicts the other then it must be set wrong in terms of exclusive or integer mode.  this sort of exclusion only happens for me if i enable either of those options.

JRiver has a forum where people can get good answers from the developers on. check it out.

no idea why it moved any file on import.  my guess is the default setting is to move files?  mine never did that.  but when i ran the import i selected the advanced options and set it up not to move files.

You were way ahead of me.  I grabbed my lossless file in my Mac that had everything broken out by artist and then by CD under the artist and I used the default settings in JRiver.  Too impatient I guess although I can undo the work if need be.

I'll play with it again tonight when I get home....would be great to get them to play nice together.

Thanks again.

HS

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #1,463 of 2,600

You're the man.  Exclusive mode was indeed a default.  Un-checked it, restarted the two players and...BAM  
biggrin.gif

I'm working on how to import Best of CD's and such and maintaining there grouping.  Haven't cracked that nut yet.  I see Import option under Tools but haven't found advanced yet for import.  I'm getting there....thanks!

HS

Nov 14, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #1,464 of 2,600

You're the man.  Exclusive mode was indeed a default.  Un-checked it, restarted the two players and...BAM  
biggrin.gif

I'm working on how to import Best of CD's and such and maintaining there grouping.  Haven't cracked that nut yet.  I see Import option under Tools but haven't found advanced yet for import.  I'm getting there....thanks!

HS

glad you got it fixed... really they need to make non exclusive mode the default for most users this is the better option especially since there is honestly no difference in sound as far as i can tell it just makes sense to assume the user wants it to play nicely with other system sounds and music players.  this probably causes a lot of confusion for users.  also the default import should not be moving files, that is a bad idea as well.  

Crazy how these software developers can be so smart to make all of this software and somehow doof up the default settings like someone with no common sense at all.  If they just fixed the defaults and reorganized the menus and settings they would get a lot more market attention.

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #1,465 of 2,600
Does anyone have opinions about how the WA7 sound through the GS1000i? Been scoring this thread but have yet to come across anyone who owns the GS. I gather not many Grado fans here. (Something about their cans I don't know?)

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #1,466 of 2,600
Does anyone have opinions about how the WA7 sound through the GS1000i? Been scoring this thread but have yet to come across anyone who owns the GS. I gather not many Grado fans here. (Something about their cans I don't know?)

I would say that GS1000i and RS1i are the best Grado models.  Pairs well with WA7.

Nov 22, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #1,468 of 2,600
That's awesome. I see so few gs being used for reviews I was started to wonder anyone still owns them.

I'm using a tiny Bravo Ocean connected to a HRT MS2+ and things sound pretty detailed and musical, but it's leaning on the thin side. I'm hoping the WA7 will be a huge step up in terms of adding depth and body to the mids. And maybe darken things a little too without losing details. Will it work you think? Or would the WA6 or WA3 be a better choice?

Nov 23, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #1,470 of 2,600
Tried the Firefiles with upgraded power supply at home on demo from Audio Advisor with Audeze LCD 3's and found it pretty lame. I figured it needed burn in time, I didn't have the right cables, it didn't play well with Amarra etc..

I then went to the NY Area Meet in Stanford CT, and got to listen to the same setup, figuring Woo would be making it sound as good as it can. Maybe they were having an off day but for my ears it was still lame. For a $3400 setup it was tinny on one end, washed out, dull and muddy on the other end. My 20 year old Senn. 560's with a $200 V-can (Ver1) sounds way better. I really wanted to like it, but, just one man's opinion, for better sound look elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back