WOO HD-650's just got here, my first GOOD headphones! Initial impressions inside.
Mar 1, 2006 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

lewtz

100+ Head-Fier
OK well, These are the first pair of GOOD headphones I have ever owned. I had some cheaper multipledia senn's with the mic built in, they were "ok". Little background, I haven't been a headphone guy until recently. Never really prefered them. Now I kinda need to use them due to living conditions.

Anyhow when I pulled out my old headphones about a week ago, they were "ok" they sat on my ear's instead of surrounding them, and hurt my ears a little bit. (I'm pretty sure that was b/c I had not been used to headphones, but it went away). Anyhow they started sounding a little better, but I wasn't satisfied. I knew I wanted some big cans, like I had when I was a kid. Found Head-fi, proceeded to get all confused. Read and Read, and Read some more... figured a higher lvl Senn would be for me, considering I wanted something very warm sounding.

Found a head-fier selling some brand new ones, and ordered them. They arrived earlier, and my first 1hr impression is GREAT. They are well made, and are damn comfortable. The padding is very nice, I like it.

As far as sound, got a little twing in my ear (which I assume is from new sound and me getting used to it). But the sound seems full, and I can pickout subtle sounds if I listen closely.

Well, anyone know where I can find some good info on EQ settings for FOOBAR (which i had never heard about till head-fi, and I think it rocks also!). Or does anyone have some good EQ settings they could possibly send me, current I'm running on flat, trying to get back to more "real" music settings. I used to be one of those guys, who would just make a U or V on the EQ and roll with it. However, wanna try and listen more the way something was designed to be heard. Found it's actually better most the time. :p

Also, I'm just currently running the HD-650's out of my SB Audigy2 ZS. I am already debating on an amp and such, possibly in a month or so, I want to listen to the headphones as they are for now. Any tips on what kinds of things to try and "experiance" more with the headphones. Certain type of music to try? I do have a PA2v2 on the way also, I know it is not "enough" to drive the HD650's from what I have read, but figured start low and go up. Not sure if I will even need it... course I say that, and 2 weeks from now, "Hey guys, which amp for $600?" ...heh

anyhow. first impressions are good. Think I might still get a grado later next.

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 13
Congrats on the 650s. They are awesome headphones. I think the Headamp Gilmore Lite would be a good match for the 650s from what I have read here. You can get it here: www.headamp.com for $300 and for $500 with a dedicated power supply. The Glite will be my next amp purchase.

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 13
Congrats!! Getting good cans for the first time is quite an experience
580smile.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 13
Just leave it flat. It's not that they're unresponsive to EQ, but they're diffuse field equalized for their specific curve and may not sound "right" with EQ settings. I know I can't get a better sound out of EQing mine than leaving them be! If you like metal, give Opeth's Still Life album a spin. It's incredibly well recorded, and everything sounds so amazingly sweet on HD650s. My Grado SR-225 can't keep up at all, despite their given "good for rock/metal" accepted status around here. The Senn HD650 are the best metal cans I've ever heard - they handle everything just right, not overemphasizing the busy upper range (after all, high distorted guitar harmonics, cymbal crashes, high hat/ride pings, and sibilant sounds all have notespace in the upper registers where Grados have big peaks and Sennheisers have dips) and giving so much body and depth to the music. And they're fast as hell, too, following even the most intricate drumwork and bass guitar lines with ease.

Ahh, the HD650. Lovely headphone!

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 13
i just got a pair of 650s today. still in the box...

gettin ready to experience the beast...
580smile.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewtz
Well, anyone know where I can find some good info on EQ settings for FOOBAR (which i had never heard about till head-fi, and I think it rocks also!).

EQ is bad, mmmmmkay?

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:50 PM Post #7 of 13
EQ isn't your buddy. If given the opportunity, it will kill you and everyone you love.

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:48 AM Post #11 of 13
awesome... the 650 are the best phones for metal. i bet some of the starched-up straight-laced classical music lovers who have 650s could benefit by listening to some metal through theirs!
basshead.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

congrats btw. and my advice? try your pa2v2 with them and tell us what you think. enjoy
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back