Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
Apr 15, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #167 of 896
Seeing as how this thread has grown deafeningly quiet, I'm gonna throw out another question: For those of you who have bought this (or are seriously considering buying one) what colour are you getting? Curious to see the splits in colour preference.

Myself, I'm still debating which colour to get. Since I tend to flip my gear every 1-2 years, I'd be particularly interested in how colour affects resale value.

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #168 of 896
Seeing as how this thread has grown deafeningly quiet, I'm gonna throw out another question: For those of you who have bought this (or are seriously considering buying one) what colour are you getting? Curious to see the splits in colour preference.

Myself, I'm still debating which colour to get. Since I tend to flip my gear every 1-2 years, I'd be particularly interested in how colour affects resale value.

I opted for the gold color. I'd imagine it would command a few bucks more on the used market than the other colors, but who knows. I'd just pick whichever version you like best. Subjectively, the glow of the tubes may "pop" more in contrast to the black chassis.

Apr 15, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #169 of 896
mmm.....what sold me (90% of the reason) was the picture of the HD 800 S and the WA8. So, it is conventional black for me to match my black 800 S. Gold was my second choice. Silver was meh.....yeah, this thread is VERY QUIET. (lol! Shhh!).

Apr 15, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #170 of 896
I opted for the gold color. I'd imagine it would command a few bucks more on the used market than the other colors, but who knows. I'd just pick whichever version you like best. Subjectively, the glow of the tubes may "pop" more in contrast to the black chassis.

Leaning towards gold as well, even though I think a more conventional colour like black or silver would sell easier on the used market (where buyers tend to be more price sensitive). But subjectively, the gold finish plus tube glow just evokes more of that warm tube goodness to me.

mmm.....what sold me (90% of the reason) was the picture of the HD 800 S and the WA8. So, it is conventional black for me to match my black 800 S. Gold was my second choice. Silver was meh.....yeah, this thread is VERY QUIET. (lol! Shhh!).

Agreed, silver looks very meh to me. Which is odd, because I think the silver WA7 looks beautiful. If Woo released a battery-powered WA7, I'd be all over that in a heartbeat. Part of the reason why I even want a WA8 is because I was sick and tired of that obnoxiously large power brick - which is why I bought the tubed power supply. That however, led to space issues on my 72" desk, ugh

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #171 of 896
Surprised that a USB cable is being included, since Woo doesn't normally include things like that. I wonder if there is anything special about that cable. Maybe the cable colour matches the amp? That'd be cool...

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #172 of 896
  Surprised that a USB cable is being included, since Woo doesn't normally include things like that. I wonder if there is anything special about that cable. Maybe the cable colour matches the amp? That'd be cool...

Well, I had the black version and it came with a black cable - see the evidence:

So the cable is also not really something special.....
redface.gif

Apr 19, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #174 of 896
Herb and Jason from Stereophile magazine checked out WA8 Eclipse at AXPONA audio show.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/saturday-axpona-herb

http://www.stereophile.com/content/axpona-lower-level-vistas

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #175 of 896
It is a soft 'pop' when power cycling the amp. This will not cause harm the headphones or the amp. We recommend to disconnect the headphone if the soft 'pop' bothers you.

Important: when switching between 2 or 3 tube mode, turn OFF the amplifier first, this resets the output. Otherwise, you may encounter distortion in the sound.

I updated my review. The pop disappeared after a few days of use. It disappeared completely - we don't know what's going on but can confirm that, not even the softest of pops. Nothing changed on the WA8, in all modes and with all input methods, the pop disappeared. All pop witnesses checked it out again...maybe it's something that disappears with burn in? Who knows....

Just wanted to update you guys.

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #176 of 896
I updated my review. The pop disappeared after a few days of use. It disappeared completely - we don't know what's going on but can confirm that, not even the softest of pops. Nothing changed on the WA8, in all modes and with all input methods, the pop disappeared. All pop witnesses checked it out again...maybe it's something that disappears with burn in? Who knows....

Just wanted to update you guys.

Interesting. Wonder if it was unit specific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back