Woo Audio wa6se and headphone synergy
Sep 13, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #31 of 73
If the Ultrasones are bright the same way the Beyer DT880's are bright, my favorite (and current) tube combo is a pair of NOS Sylvania 6FD7's and a NOS JAN 5931 with the big brown base. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be ordering the tubes today.

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #32 of 73
Has anyone tried the 6GL7/6EM7 tube combo that woo offers?
I guess you need Teflon tube adapters to use them but they offer the best clarity according to woo audio.

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #33 of 73
I ordered mine with those tubes, the teflon adapters, and the Princess Mesh. My amp should be here in 2-3 weeks.

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #34 of 73
Quote:
I ordered mine with those tubes, the teflon adapters, and the Princess Mesh. My amp should be here in 2-3 weeks.

I'm using stock tubes with the sophia princess. You'll get the stock tubes with your order too i believe so when you get a chance let me know how they compare. Oh yeah don't forget to buy a power cable to go with your amp. I made the mistake of not buying one till after i received the amp. I'd recommend one by audioquest or Toxic cables.

Sep 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #35 of 73
WA6-SE with HD 650, D7000 and LCD-2 (both rev. 1 and rev. 2) are all great, using Grace Design m903 as a DAC. I listen to a lot of electronica, dubstep, techno ... I prefer somewhere in between warm and neutral sound.

I have not tried many tubes yet, but I've found Audeze LCD-2 r.1 and the standard Shuguang 274B rectifier with a pair of GE 6DE7 driver tubes (skinny bottle) to sound absolutely phenomenal. It's hard to get to bed once you have that contraption wired up.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #36 of 73
 My WA6se will be coming with the Princess Mesh rectifier and the 6GL7/6DE7 tube upgrade. I don't believe the stock tubes will be included but I'm not sure about that. I'll be connecting the amp to an Oppo 95 using the stereo analog connections so the set-up will utilize the 95's Sabre DAC.  The Oppo will be here today. I now have an Oppo -93. I'm looking forward to comparing the audio of the 2 Blu-ray players. Right now I'm using a Beyerdynamic A1 solid state amp. I'll have a lot of comparisons to make between my present set-up, the Oppo-95, and then with the WA6se vs. Beyer A1. Should be fun.
 I am interested in IrishSammy's recommendation of the NOS Sylvania 6Ld7 and NOS Jan 5931 for bright cans. I own some Beyers and will be interested in the difference in soundstage in using these tubes. Thanks for the recommendation Sammy!
 I'm also interested in hearing how well the WA6se drives a pair of HiFiMan He-500's. They are not broken it yet (have them burning in since Thursday morning). The WA6se does output 2ooo mv at 32 ohms and the Beyer ... 150 mv at 30 ohms. Huge difference in output power. I asked Jack and he said his amp would drive it beautifully. The Beyer seems to struggle in my ears.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #37 of 73
Quote:
"WA6-SE with HD 650, D7000 and LCD-2 (both rev. 1 and rev. 2) are all great, using Grace Design m903 as a DAC. I listen to a lot of electronica, dubstep, techno ... I prefer somewhere in between warm and neutral sound."

I have read that the 650 is a great pairing with the WA6se

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:41 AM Post #38 of 73
Quote:
I'm using stock tubes with the sophia princess. You'll get the stock tubes with your order too i believe so when you get a chance let me know how they compare. Oh yeah don't forget to buy a power cable to go with your amp. I made the mistake of not buying one till after i received the amp. I'd recommend one by audioquest or Toxic cables.

I purchased a cheap 14 guage power cable ... Tripp brand. If I have a problem with it, I'll check out AudioQuest. In fact, my interconnects are a semi-high end Audioquest cable.

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #39 of 73
I purchased a cheap 14 guage power cable ... Tripp brand. If I have a problem with it, I'll check out AudioQuest. In fact, my interconnects are a semi-high end Audioquest cable.
are you using the king cobras too?

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #40 of 73
The 650s are a great pairing with the wa6se. Let's be honest though. If you're buying this amp then you're planning on buying a pair of top-tier headphones. I use my 650s now if someone else wants to listen to my rig.

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #41 of 73
Quote:
are you using the king cobras too?

That name rings a bell. They're a metallic looking red and black weave with red terminals. Hey, how do you guys feel about using line conditioners/ power surge units? I've read conflicting reports ... some saying that a conditioner will degrade the signal and sound of one's amp.

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #42 of 73
Quote:
The 650s are a great pairing with the wa6se. Let's be honest though. If you're buying this amp then you're planning on buying a pair of top-tier headphones. I use my 650s now if someone else wants to listen to my rig.

Ok ... I'll be honest but I'm kinda embarassed  ... I already own 7 pairs from HD-800 to PS-1000 to M-50's and some Beyers but not yet the T1. My most recent is the He-500. (I don't like the new wiring. The jacket is hard and sometimes rubs against an object. The sound is picked up by the drivers.) My next may be the HD-650. I like the reviews I've seen. I think it's fun using a different set of headphones each day.

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #43 of 73
Ok ... I'll be honest but I'm kinda embarassed  ... I already own 7 pairs from HD-800 to PS-1000 to M-50's and some Beyers but not yet the T1. My most recent is the He-500. (I don't like the new wiring. The jacket is hard and sometimes rubs against an object. The sound is picked up by the drivers.) My next may be the HD-650. I like the reviews I've seen. I think it's fun using a different set of headphones each day.
Ha ha. Don't be embarrassed. You're among friends. We all love our headphones.
The 650s are a great headphone but I'd recommend the Ultrasone pro 2900s. They are a little cheaper but I feel they are much more lively

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #44 of 73
That name rings a bell. They're a metallic looking red and black weave with red terminals. Hey, how do you guys feel about using line conditioners/ power surge units? I've read conflicting reports ... some saying that a conditioner will degrade the signal and sound of one's amp.
Those would be the king cobras yes. Excellent interconnect before going high end in my opinion.

Sep 14, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #45 of 73
In the Blu-ray and AVS forums there's a lot of controversy concerning cables and if they REALLY make a difference or not. Many recommend Monoprice or Blue Jean Cable and suggest that expensive cables are a gimmick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back